iPad ADES...anyone try?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by spiffyone, Mar 29, 2009.

1. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    ADES

I dunno what it is, exactly. Seems to be a maze game, but the app description goes on about "traps", which makes me think there are some environmental puzzles.

Anyone wanna TOFTT? ;)

2. Seishu

Seishu Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Student
    us of a
    If only it was 0.99c...

3. pablo19

pablo19 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    I agree, 2.99 is a bit steep to toftt

4. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    It'd help if there was a video or something of the game.

But there isn't any.

And I've looked. And damn near everyone here knows I'm good at digging up vids of the most obscure under-the-radar games, some within mere minutes of release.

But this one? Can't find anything. Not even on the developer's website (stating that it's sparse is putting it lightly).

I just wanna know if this is a maze game or a maze game with environmental puzzles.

5. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    I checked around for a video too because it looks neat, but can't tell what the objective is. And, I've been spending too much this past week to TOFTT right now.

6. Rohan Dalal

Rohan Dalal Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2009
    ill TOFTT if the price was a bit lower...99 cents perhaps?

other than that, looks like a great game :)

7. d4l3

d4l3 Member

Mar 11, 2009
    SoCal
    I don't think 2.99 is that steep, but if you buy it for 2.99 today in one week it will be .99.

I'm sick of it. I try to support developers, but they screw you over and drop the price after the first week. Rasta Monkey is the latest example.

8. anduril_ukr

anduril_ukr Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Student
    New Jersey
    well, its quite obviously a maze - but whether the hinderances for getting out are puzzles or enemies or whatever is a mystery. screenshots look good, but i just know too little about it to decide to get it.

9. Manathilian

Manathilian Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2009
    I actually found this game to be quite an enjoyable app. Unfortunately, it can be beat in about 2 hours of gameplay - which in my opinion is a bit too short to warrent a price of $2.99. I feel it should be priced 1 or 2 dollars less than the current price.

In terms of gameplay, this is a maze game (with no enemies) in which you traverse through corridors and across walkways in order to reach a teleportation portal, which marks the end of each level and teleports you to the next of the ten levels within the game. Now there are actually two level types: the first is your basic find your way to the end of the level, the second (comprising 4 of the 10 levels) involves first finding a certain red crystal in order to unlock a red force-field (which blocks your path to the portal) and THEN proceeding to seek out the end-of-level portal. It is only in this second type of level that you find these so called "traps" which are nothing more than some fancy pit (which are only found in the chamber room that houses the red crystal) that the player might fall into. Falling into the pit sends the player right back to the beginning of that level.

Now so far, the game I have described may seem pretty unappealing, but let me assure you the experience is much deeper and tasteful than the simple concept would suggest. The graphics are 3D and well done in setting the scene of some abandoned spacestation labyrinth (reminds me a bit of the more grimmy parts of the ship in ALIEN). The textures of the corridor walls are of course repeated throughout most of each level but they still vary enough within and between each level to prevent me from ever really getting sick of any one level texture. There is also a variety of door textures, floors textures (some force-field supported tiles are scattered throughout each level, which often cover spinning fan blades under the floor), windows, etc; scattered throughout each level. Also, the red crystals are always found in some giant, uniquely architected room.

Also the sound effects are perfect. The only things you hear are the dampened thumps of spinning fans, faint static and buzzing from the aged force-field tiles, the low rumble of fluids passing through some tubular pipes in the walls, and occasionally the whirr of a nearby portal. What I found so charming about these sounds is the fact that each sound effect has its own source or place of origin. This allows you to use the sounds you hear as a means of navigation through each level based on the strength of each sound and the direction each is comming from. Another helpful series of tools that give you some sense of location within each labyrinth are a handful of red marks on a few of the walls (each mark is unique in size and symbol). A third way of finding your orientation within each maze is the position of the red planet/moon outside the windows (you can use it as sort of a compass whenever there is a small window).

Overall I found the ambient atmosphere of the mazes to be the best feature of this game, being very strong and quite creepy. I would have liked a bit more variety in terms of traps and gameplay (maybe add some vertical dimension to the mazes by maybe adding a few staircases or ladders) but I have a feeling that the developer doesn't plan on making any drastic updates any time soon. I also would have liked a more climactic ending (you reach the final portal and it just sends you to the Game Over screen and credits.... bleh...).

If I had to rate this game, I would give it 3.5-4.0 for great atmosphere and a creative set of tools that are well implemented to help you find your bearings within each labyrinth.

Also, sorry for the long freaking response......

10. jchampl

jchampl Well-Known Member

i don't think that 1 dollar drop hurt you too bad. there are games that have dropped much worse than rasta.

sports cars are cheaper in the winter, however if you want a car when it's summer and to enjoy then you pay full price. if you can wait, wait for a price drop. dvds are the same way, they come out and they are around $17, in a few months they are 7 or 9 dollars at target. so you just have to decide is do I NEED this now?

11. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    By the way, anybody that's worried about a price DROP, I think you can rest easy for a while. The price actually went UP to $4.99. Personally, after my quick and painful experience with aMAZEing (I thought the control was awful), I'm not all that eager to try another 3D maze type game right now.

12. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
  13. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA