Universal Actraiser Renaissance (by Square Enix)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Sep 24, 2021.

1. Sskenshin

Sskenshin New Member

Sep 27, 2021
    Anyone know what’s FPS it runs at on iPad Pro? Was told it runs 30 FPS on mobile which seems weird since the Switch runs are the 50s.

2. JasonLL

JasonLL Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    #22 JasonLL, Sep 27, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
    My initial thoughts on ActraiserR:

Quick verdict: Visually some nice added “modern” effects but overall a step down from the Super Nintendo version with visuals and controls.

Played about an hour so I can’t give an in-depth review of the remake but I’ve put probably over a hundred hours in the Super Nintendo original and the SNES version is the better version despite the fact I probably haven’t touched the Super Nintendo version in twenty-five years.

I’ll start by saying that ActraiserR feels like a Sega CD remake in some alternate timeline complete with the “semi 3D” visuals that would have impressed us a bit in 1993-94 but would not have held up as “clean” as the original in 2021. Visually the side scrolling stages in the remake are muddy with enemies that blend into the background a bit too much. The controls while responsive don’t feel as crisp as the original. Something about the controls feel a step off. They’re not bad but once again are not as good as the original.

I want to apologize with my enthusiasm in my first couple of replies to this post (especially the part recommending the remake before trying it myself.) My excitement was going off the original game not yet having played Renaissance. Overall Renaissance has been decent so far it just isn’t as polished as the SNES classic.

Is it worth buying?

If you’re an ActRaiser fan and want to play though the game again with the additional content and mechanics then yes it’s worth the price but temper your expectations.

3. lilneo

lilneo Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Work in State Government
    México
    How long to beat?

4. tex32

tex32 Active Member

May 9, 2013
    Has anybody tried playing without the use of a controller - does it control decently? Debating between the IOS and the Switch version - if the controller is a must for IOS, I’ll probably go Switch. Any thoughts?

5. agreen437

agreen437 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Big update out now don’t know what it involves though I’ll find out