Acting Out! - Charades meets Draw Something

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Rainier, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Rainier

Rainier Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Thanks MarcJay! I hope so too :)

To answer your questions, it's Yes, to all of the above, but in many cases the words could be acted out without the need for letting go of your phone. For example, imagine acting out the word SPOCK; a simple hand gesture comes to mind for that. Or CIGAR, or DRINK, those you could do one handed. FIGHT CLUB, on the other hand, well, that one you might need to put your phone down.

Thankfully the front camera will help you see how you're positioned relative to the camera. And when you start recording, there's a brief countdown timer that goes 3, 2, 1 so you can get yourself ready at the appropriate distance. And for people who like to edit the length of their videos, you can do that too and cut out the parts you don't like.

There was a Kickstarter campaign I helped back that got fully funded a little while back. It's called the ClearShot. It's a credit card-sized stand for your phone, and when I saw it I thought it was perfect for Acting Out:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1054040600/clearshot-credit-card-sized-stand-for-iphone-andro

I backed the project for 10 of these, which we'll be giving away through some promos on our Facebook page (we'll also have prizes for people who post some of their best videos acting out). If there's enough interest in the app or the stand, I'll be sure to buy more so we can give even more away.

Hope that helps!

Rainier

2. Rainier

Apr 16, 2012
    Thanks Allanon! I really couldn't ask for a nicer response :)

@Antony: I'm glad you liked the video! Supercool Creative gets all the credit for putting that together. :) As for the need to record a video every time you play, well, that's the nature of charades when you play it over the phone. The nice thing is that it's asynchronous/turn-based, so you can take as much time as you like before you record yourself and you'll never have to feel hurried.

Rainier

3. antony.thai

antony.thai Well-Known Member

Sounds really cool, I can't wait to play it with my phone, I will make the download by the launching date.

Cheers,
    Antony

4. Rainier

Apr 16, 2012
    We just submitted the code to Apple!

Fingers crossed :)

We're starting with a soft launch by releasing it only for the iPhone 5, but will have a new version in January that will support earlier devices. It's also going to be WiFi only for now to let users have the full experience of 60 second videos while also helping users avoid those awful data overage charges that come from sending and receiving videos. We'll have an untethered version following that will meet Apple's data limits (5MB per 5 minutes of use), but to meet that hurdle we're expecting to have only 30 seconds of low resolution or 10 seconds of medium resolution videos available.

Thanks for all your patience!

5. Rainier

Apr 16, 2012
  6. lokiman

lokiman Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Vampire
    Principality of Zeon
    First I like the idea and I love charades! :)

But my experience with such a social games (we did something very similar) tell me that it is just too complicated for a user to "perform" acting (when comparing to drawing or even singing) and therefore no so many people will ever try doing it. :( Also with these social games (when user retention is maybe 5 days maximum) you definitely need to have and android version because there are "usually" more friends with nonApple devices and it is always problem when you don't have anybody to play with - you just delete the app. More friends to start with is better that fewer, right? I know that this is not the case for your iPhone5 only soft launch but you get the idea. Also you should consider using Facebook as the primary platform for your users, because it is much more convenient to connect and create/play a game with FB friends ....

So the idea is quite good, but it will be very hard to make it profitable.

Anyway, I wish you good luck with the game :D

7. Rainier

Apr 16, 2012
    We're currently in a soft launch phase and are trying to get some feedback before we do our hard launch in January.

In exchange for your help, up for grabs is a $329 iPad Mini, and we have details in the Promotions thread:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=170942

8. Allanon

Allanon Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Protecting the Lands from Brona
    Paranor
    shouldn't someone make a thread for this game in the normal section and not the "upcoming" section since its available? I'd like to see some feedback