Universal Aces of the Luftwaffe - Squadron: Extended Edition (by HandyGames)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Feb 26, 2020.

1. pathogen541

pathogen541 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2016
    Picked this up, and I have to say: not sure what the big issue is with the controls. Are they ideal? Nope. Do they work well enough to dominate? Yup. HandyGames has been awesome thus far and I have a feeling we will see some more control options implemented moving forward (ie: controller support, maybe relative touch).

the way I see it: this is a bad ass SHMUP with a BOATLOAD of content (I would argue more than just about any SHMUP on the App Store at this point) with a premium price tag that is reasonable, and a dev that seems intent on trying to meet the consumer in the middle. At a time when it seems like we are seeing less and less premium apps, I’m very thankful this one came along. Maybe I’m outlier in this issue, but I the controls don’t stop me from annihilating swarms of German Aircraft..... lol

2. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Having been through every single option screen and “access to option screen” and menu I could see at any and all levels, I feel quite comfortable saying this is far from obvious!

3. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    If you’re referring to an option to enable auto-fire, I couldn’t agree more. It’s like the only annoyance about this game. I’d so prefer having a checkbox in the settings menu to keep auto-fire enabled instead of having to tap it every single time the level starts. As for instructions, they’re located appropriately imho.

4. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    ...or American aircrafts in case you’re playing campaign for Germans, right?:)

5. Jackaluk

Jackaluk Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    No controller support. Unbelievable! That is me out, shame!!

chengchisang, Skall and Draven2222 like this.
  6. Draven2222

Draven2222 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2013
    I was quite surprised also, the original Aces of Luftwaffe had great Controller Support..
    I tried to play with touchscreen, but i doesnt feel right, like some small response delay.it quickly became frustrating and unplayable for me, which is shame coz it looks awesome.
    Please add Controller support in an update.

Skall likes this.
  7. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Completely agree with this. It's great people love using controllers with their phones making them more accessible for gaming but the reason I invest so much in my phone multimedia is precisely because I can game wherever I want because my phone is right in my pocket. I have a PS4 I can play if I actually want to use a controller. Good touch controls should definitely be the priority when making any mobile game.

8. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    I have to say I really prefer German campaign over American one. Don’t know if there was more effort put into it due to the fact HandyGames is located in Germany, but it just feels superior. Voice acting is hilarious, dialogues are funnier. Characters are more interesting, especially their illnesses. Skill tree offers some great perks right from the beginning. And they just look cooler.

Don’t get me wrong. American campaign was great but German is even better. I’m glad I started with American, otherwise it’d have felt a little bit like letdown going the other way. Sure, I’m just one chapter in compared to previous fully finished one, but still..

B1566B16-813B-4A04-B028-A1C5EAAA8120.jpeg

One bug I noticed is that cloud save is showing time spent on American campaign only. I’d expect it to sum up the times from both. Now there’s just the same time despite the additional progression on other campaign. Statistics are separate for both campaigns, I get it, but there’s only one cloud save. And since the devs are allegedly watching this thread, take it as a bug report.

9. Draven2222

Draven2222 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2013
    I agree, But some games get lost in translation, they scream for physical controller input. Time and time agian it get disappointed by the "mobile" version. i see most of the complaints about touchsreen input, "the area is too small", "i cant adjust button postions", "it goes off the bottom of the screen on a IphoneX" etc..etc..etc.
    In my opinion "The Game" should be the priority, make it the best it can be, if that means supporting controllers ...then do it.
    Or course make the touchscreen controls great also. ;).

Makara Nou likes this.
  10. Piermarco Rosa

Piermarco Rosa New Member

Mar 4, 2020
    Hi! Has anyone understood what is the meaning of the last option in the menu? It's called plane distance and I really fon't understand what is it for...

11. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @Piermarco Rosa @metalcasket explained it already on previous pages. It’s the distance between the finger and the plane. Lowest distance means the plane is directly under your finger while max distance moves the plane further from beneath your finger. Almost like relative touch.

Piermarco Rosa likes this.
  12. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    It's how far the plane sits next to your finger. Don't know if it matters for the joystick controls, but with touch, set it at the far left and the plan...oh hey, @macplash. :p

Piermarco Rosa likes this.
  13. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    That’s right. Always in the right place at the right moment. But also giving a proper credit where it’s due.;)

Piermarco Rosa and metalcasket like this.
  14. Piermarco Rosa

Piermarco Rosa New Member

Mar 4, 2020
    thanks guys!

metalcasket likes this.
  15. Jackaluk

Jackaluk Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Exactly want I wanted to write! I’ve been a gamer since my spectrum 48k+, first handheld was an Atari Lynx, never saw why You’d want a gameboy . I’ve been an iPhone gamer since the 3GS! Anyway enough of my history! Have should be the best they can be in the platform. I can’t think of any games I own where I prefer touch controls over a controller option where if course they have it! I agree that the majority of gamers use touch, but then again the majority of iPhone gamers play Candy crush and clash if clans and happily live in the world of shit pay to win crap! When it comes to premium games from premium devs, especially when it’s a port, it should not be too much to expect controller support. I think it’s easier to bring controller support into the game than it is to make great touch controls, not that they should not strive for that of course!

platforms evolve, personally I think my iPad and iPhone work a controller is one of the best mobile platforms out there! This is my go to gaming platform over my PC now!!

Skall likes this.
  16. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Oh god not again. Firstly I had a Gameboy. It was all about being portable and not having to change batteries every 5 seconds on the flop which was the Lynx. History tells us the Gameboy was the huge winner never the Lynx.

And does every one of your posts have to be always about controllers ? I’ve got over 1000 games on my phone. None are freemium rubbish. All premier

Mo ole gaming means just that. It’s mobile. I can just have a go on the train or bus or wherever. I don’t have to take a control pad with me I can just have a quick go here and there whenever I want. Gamepads are good for some but they’re not essential as the games are meant to be played natively on the phone. They don’t need a gamepad to play the games.

just gets boring. Every thread asking about controller support time and time again. Ask the dev direct or read the description. And yeah I always played on the keyboard on my speccy !

macplash, anthony78 and metalcasket like this.
  17. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    This got trashed on 148apps. 3/5

I actually enjoy all the points he said were negatives! Whatever...

Still want relative touch but one of the better shmups iOS has received in a long time.

18. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @anthony78 just read this guy’s other reviews. Summer Catchers, Veritas, RogueJack... There’s nothing worse than incompetent reviewer. I pretty much ignore anything related to App Army (148apps, pocketgamer etc) because I’d only get angry. I already shared my opinion in different thread here. Not gonna repeat myself.

namestolen likes this.
  19. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Steel Media lelelelelleelleleeleleleleleleel

20. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Also the same guy who put Grindstone as the 36th best game on Apple Arcade. Yeah, same Grindstone that was on GOTY lists even on non-mobile gaming sites. ‍**facepalm**