Universal Aces of the Luftwaffe - Squadron: Extended Edition (by HandyGames)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Feb 26, 2020.

1. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    #61 macplash, Feb 27, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    And I’ve seen just moments later. I got reality check during the boss fight even though I did beat him previously. Anyway, at least I got an achievement out of it as well as cool death screen I’ve seen for the first time. Enjoy my failure.:D Btw, The Lokfuehrer’s voice acting is awesome, especially those last words.

———————-
    EDIT: if you want me to mark these as SPOILERS, just let me know.. I didn’t do it by default just because the game’s out on other platforms for years, hence there’s a ton of stuff on YouTube anyway. But I’m willing to hide these to avoid ruining your campaign experience.

2. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Lol I thought it was all going so well watching that and then the video froze at the exact moment you got obliterated.

macplash likes this.
  3. sakara214ever

sakara214ever Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    Was going to buy this one asap but the controls are keeping me back. I will wait for a potential update regarding this matter

Skall likes this.
  4. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    SHMUP my ass! This is a full-fledged and pure BULLET HELL!

I mean, I’m not complaining per se. Just stating the obvious.:D I think I expected much more relaxed and laidback experience for whatever reason. It took me like 20 minutes to defeat Chapter III boss(es) - I couldn’t even feel my finger afterwards. Not to mention - in this case - I’m playing on Normal which is like the lowest difficulty available. So, yeah..

5. Skall

Skall Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2009
    same here

6. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I have no words at all to describe how awesome HandyGames are. If this response to me doesn't earn you their respect and convince you to buy the game in its current state, nothing will:

We will talk with our developers about relative touch controls and if we could implement it into Aces of the Luftwaffe Squadron. That being said, let me give you a little insight on what we are considering at the moment.

With all the planes we have in the game and the skills they come with, especially different speeds, it might get hard to “balance” relative touch. For example, there is a plane that has +50% speed, which is incredibly fun because you can just speed around the screen with the plane always below your finger using the touch controls in the game, which we imagine might be harder to portrait with the relative touch controls. This problem also persists when talking about planes with a speed debuff, which has the effect that your plane is a little “delayed” in the movement and will be dragging behind your fingers movement.

So with this in mind, we will talk to the devs and see if we can find a way to make this happen. With the reasoning above in mind, the controls will probably not be as “direct” as you guys are used to, because of the different movement speeds of the planes, but we will have to see how that feels.

I think both myself and @macplash will tell you that I bit the bullet way too fast at condemning the controls in my initial thoughts (as I even admitted to HandyGames themselves), but if you're adamant on getting a potential change, here you are. I think the reasoning behind why the controls are how they are right now should be enough to silence the harshest critic, but now that I've spent the time I have with the game, I couldn't care less about getting relative touch. I understand that it might mean more to you guys, though, and getting more options is never a bad thing.

7. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @sakara214ever @Skall you guys are overreacting a little. Controls really aren’t a problem here. It’s different when there are issues like unresponsive buttons or bad UI design resulting in buttons too close to each other or too far to reach. Relative touch as we know it wouldn’t do this game any justice. The current finger drag control scheme suits it perfectly. If you’re not convinced by the developer’s response and reasoning behind this choice, I guess there’s nothing more @metalcasket and I can do to change your mind. All I can say is, if you pass, it’s gonna be your loss. And I already put 6 hours into this masterpiece, so I can fairly claim that I know what I’m talking about.

metalcasket likes this.
  8. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Absolutely this, and then some.

9. Skall

Skall Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2009
    #69 Skall, Feb 28, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
    Indeed cannot do anything until an update is done but anyway your feedbacks make the game very interesting and added to my wishlist!

10. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    I’d probably give this a try based on what’s been said about the controls but my other issue is that I don’t really have 2.4 GB of real estate ATM.

11. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I’m with you guys. Frankly, I found the standard touch controls to be very awkward on a landscape-oriented game, and I don’t thing making it relative touch would help. On landscape, my fingers want to be at the edge of the screen — which is why they virtual joystick option is working very well for me. The way I see it, the joystick is relative touch for all intents and purposes.

All in all, this is a beautifully crafted shmup/RPG hybrid. My only complain is that I wish the enemy bullets were a bit more prominent — the action can get a little too hectic for an iPhone XS screen. That’s something that bullet hells (and especially Cave) usually do very well.

Also, I second the HandyGames praise. They treat the platform — and players —with great respect.

metalcasket likes this.
  12. sakara214ever

sakara214ever Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
  13. Rudi

Rudi Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2009
    I played the first Aces of the Luftwaffe. Boring and average. Is this new part much better? 6.99 is a lot of money, but a real,premium shooter would be worth it.

14. ironsam80

ironsam80 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Totally agree on the controls... For me, the joystick works well too! Excellent game!

15. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    #75 anthony78, Feb 28, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
    I offloaded some stuff and gave into the pressure. Though not technically relative touch, joystick works very well. It’s really the main thing I want - controls where movement doesn’t require your finger to be right on top of the plane like some early shmups did. And the joystick is anywhere on the screen so pretty much perfect for me. TBH not even sure what the complaints were that the controls weren’t great to begin with.

Oh and they should just make the joystick the default option.

@Rudi This game is MILES better than the original Aces of Luftwaffe. Much more varied gameplay and just a flat out better game.

16. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Impressions from a person who had been conditioned over the years that it was relative touch for shmups, or the highway. ;) For full transparency, if you skim through this thread, you'll see I've HEAVILY edited my earlier posts.

17. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Just trying to find out how many points is necessary to fully upgrade Skill tree for all 4 characters in American campaign, so doing a little bit of grinding.. So far my favorite (easy) area is Chapter III stage 2 on Hard difficulty. But if I was good enough, I’d grind in Chapter V stage 1. That one’s just awesome.

Anyway, I’m about to reach Squadron level 100 during my next run.. Still not enough for all characters’ skill tree. But I’ll keep grinding, no worries.;)

18. Ho
    hows the control?

19. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I downloaded it this morning as I feel like there’s more than enough positive comments on the controls. I’ve yet to get time to try it but will leave my feedback on them also when I get a chance to play hopefully tonight.

Any tips for starting out? Are there any ships or talents or anything you wished you worked on first? Or do you just unlock it all in order?

macplash likes this.
  20. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Nah, just have fun with it.

Each skill tree has 5 rows of upgrades. Every next row is unlocked by defeating the boss at the end of each chapter. So you don’t get the best stuff right away anyway. Also, you may prefer different abilities than others, so it’s pretty much up to you what you choose first.

Additional planes are unlocked by blueprints dropped from bosses, but it’s not a rule and sometimes they drop something else. So you’ll have to replay a boss fight if you want a blueprint. Also, getting the same blueprint increases the stats of that plane, which is kinda cool too.

Also, it goes without saying that the best and coolest stuff is mostly in the last row, so you’ll need to work for it. Skill points are earned by leveling up your Squadron level and each stage in each chapter has a bonus skill point(s) dropped randomly. I’m curious what it takes to unlock complete skill tree for each character, so I’m grinding for points atm.

ste86uk likes this.