Universal Aces of the Luftwaffe - Squadron: Extended Edition (by HandyGames)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Feb 26, 2020.

1. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    After so many shmups using relative touch, it’s hard for me to play with anything but on mobile.

2. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    It’s been forever since I’ve played Sky Force, but I presume it’s relative touch. No, this isn’t like that. The ship follows your finger on screen.

ste86uk likes this.
  3. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    That’s the one! That’s what I was expecting it to be like. I guess from the last comments there’s maybe still some hope on the controls.

4. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Knowing what I know now, yeah, I can definitely play with my thumb with default controls, auto-fire and the sensitivity all the way up.

5. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @metalcasket so if you can play with your thumb with sensitivity all the way up, that does sound like a relative touch to me. Although you previously stated the ship’s following your finger, which doesn’t sound right at all. I mean, it’s fine with Book of Demons I’ve been playing recently, but it wouldn’t work with shmup at all.

6. anthony78

Nov 13, 2015
    Think I’ll pass on this unless they update with relative touch and grab Story of a Gladiator this week instead.

7. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Relative touch is where you place your finger/thumb anywhere on the screen and the ship will move relative to how you yourself move. With Aces, you yourself will need to move your finger all over your screen. You can't just keep it, say, in a corner, and expect your ship to move. Without turning up the sensitivity, there's a certain lag/weight to the ship. It's even listed in the options as "Distance of ship" or something like that.

Oh, and it need be mentioned me 'getting' the controls was almost exclusively dependent on the ability to move the buttons to the left instead of right. I don't know how I neglected to mention that.

8. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    #28 Royce, Feb 26, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    The confusing part about what you mentioned is the sensitivity setting. Touch to move just means the craft moves exactly where you drag your finger (either with some lag if there’s a max speed which is common in a port designed for controller play, or instantly) but there’s no reason for a sensitivity setting because it’s 1 to 1 with your finger movement. Relative touch means the ship mirrors your fingers movement with the ships position correlating to your starting finger position, it can have a sensitivity setting because the ship Movement can be exaggerated relative to your finger’s movement (or even vice versa). It almost sounds like you’re talking about a floating virtual stick except you said it follows your finger.

9. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Okay. Alright. I got confused because you used a word thumb instead of finger. I wouldn’t expect you to play with your thumb dragging it all over the screen. That’s why I thought for a brief moment of relative touch. Ship following an index finger doesn’t sound entirely bad tbh. It could work I guess. Not as great as fully functional relative touch, but work nonetheless. I’m gonna take a leap of faith here with hope for an urgent update and keep my pre-order active so I can play from the day one. Thanks for being a guinea pig for us. I appreciate your prompt feedback on the game’s control scheme.

10. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Like I said above, there's nothing that explicitly says "sensitivity". It's the distance of the ship. From what? I don't know. All I know is that when it's maxed out, the ship doesn't feel as laggy and/or weighed down as when it's right at the bottom (by default).

11. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Interesting, maybe their own unique spin on touch controls for a shmup.

12. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Don't mention it, bud. We all TOFTT sometimes. :)

macplash likes this.
  13. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    That's one way of looking at it, but the instructions in-game highlight the joystick in a way that makes it look like the primary control method.

14. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Yeah a common mistake for devs inexperienced with touch screen development. I’m sure relative touch will be implemented. There will be an outpouring of requests.

15. anthony78

Nov 13, 2015
    I’d think relative touch would be even more important with this being landscape and not portrait.

16. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Of course. Hence why it's baffling it's not in there in the first place. Then again, as I said above, it's clear the joystick is the developers' control scheme of choice...which kind of makes sense considering this wasn't built with mobile in mind initially.

Guys, please, whether or not you buy this, could we find a nice, peaceful way to get HandyGames' attention and kindly ask them to implement relative touch without being all "DO THIS OR ELSE I WONT BUY YOUR GAME YOU SHITS"?

17. anthony78

Nov 13, 2015
    I was thinking something more like “WHAT THE F**K WERE YOU THINKING!?!”.

But I suppose I could be nicer. :)

metalcasket likes this.
  18. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Okay, so, Airplane Distance is how far away the plane is from your thumb/finger when using the non-joystick controls. That is...put it on the lowest setting and the plane will sit right under your thumb, put the slider on the far right and you’ll be able to see the plane entirely.

19. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    #39 macplash, Feb 26, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    @metalcasket So when the slider is all the way to the right and I see the plane entirely, does it still follow my finger or moves with it instead? Almost like a relative touch but only when very close to a finger. Still confusing as hell.o_O

——————————-
    EDIT: nevermind - already downloading to see for myself.:)

20. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Haha, no, no. It’s not relative touch. It follows your finger.