iPad accelerometer or touch?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Hatteras, Mar 4, 2009.

?

Accelerometer or Touch?

1. Accelerometer!

11.3%
  2. Touch!

88.7%
  1. Hatteras

Hatteras Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Hi,

Would you rather play a game that makes use of the accelerometer or just use the touch screen?

I would prefer the accelerometer.

2. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    Go with the touch mode cuz.....after all, thats what I own (Touch)

Actually depends on game. But if theres an option usually go with touch mode.

3. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Depends on the games.

i.e

Cube Runner - Accelometer

War Inc - Touch

4. I would use this rule of thumb:

If the act of tilting the device around to move something on-screen makes sense in the context of the game (e.g. Labyrinth games, and such) then use the accelerometer. Likewise, if analog control (where degrees of movement are necessary, not just digital "move" or "not move" controls) is really necessary, use the accelerometer.

If it's the sort of game that was ideally meant to be played with a mouse or joystick, use touch controls.

Of course, the easiest thing for everyone is if developers simply provided both and allowed players the choice.

5. rhcpdrummer

rhcpdrummer Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    i tend to play touch based games more than accelerometer based games, because im usually playin in the car and its real hard to play with an accelerometer wen the cars turning and stoppin and going

6. stargazer513

stargazer513 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
  7. Spartan12103

Spartan12103 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    USA
    It all depends on the gameplay, as others have said. I still think the accelerometer is cooler though.

8. i prefer the option for BOTH! ! ! ! ! !

9. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    I think it depends on the game. For example, 2079 uses the accelerometer to move the ship and the touch screen to shoot in any direction. Others such as TD apps use the touch screen the most effectively. With the majority of shooters, tilt may be the best since touch can block your view.

10. PlayScreen

PlayScreen Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2009
    We give you the option to use one or the other in Bailout Bonanza. I prefer the accelerometer mode, even though I can score higher with Swipe (touch). It feels more like a classic arcade game.

I was surprised that Vector Tanks opted for touch vs tilt.

11. I voted for touch since I don't think the accelerometer is allows you to play a game anywhere (a crowded train, for example). But Space Ninja is making me believe in the accelerometer...

Of course, Petri is touch only. For now.

12. Justom

Justom Well-Known Member

I prefer games that give you the option of switching between each control scheme, because it truly depends on what kind of game.

13. grumpytreto

grumpytreto Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    I like games that require both like zen bound. I just cant stay interested in a game that only uses the accelerometer, it bores me.

14. Rudi

Rudi Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2009
    Both! I prefer touch, but sometimes accelerometer fits better.
    Give the People the posibillity to choose in each game!

15. writingsama

writingsama Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    lmfao 90% for touch
    DEVS STOP USING THE ACCELEROMETER JUST BECAUSE IT IS THERE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

esp. for us disabled peoples

16. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    It's too hard to use the accelerometer based games.

1. Can't play laying in bed at all
    2. Not as accurate

Sway is awesome because it doesn't need accelerometer but also is unique with great controls for the iDevices only.

In the accelerometer based games, it's easy for most game to just make controls touch based and make them an option. Like I recently suggested for bubble boy.

And games with no accelerometer controls, I play more often.

17. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    +1
    +1

18. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

If I had to choose one I'd definitely go with touch. The accelerometer seems to be a hard beast to tame and very few games have managed to improve gameplay by the use of the technology. (Monkey Ball & Rolando are the two successes I can think of).

I think the use of accelerometer in driving games has been close to a failure so far, as it all feels to flimsy compared to actually stearing a car. The earlier mentioned games do show that when used right it has potential. I just think more games gel with the touch-paradigme.

19. Rudi

Rudi Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2009
    Alien Braker is a real good Breakout Game. A shame, that you can control it only by accelerometer

20. jshmrsn

jshmrsn Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Mobile Game Developer
    Agoura Hills, CA
    As always, thanks for giving us developers some insight into your gaming preferences :) I'll keep this in mind.