About TTR

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by twokidtech, Jul 4, 2009.

1. twokidtech

twokidtech Member

Jul 21, 2008
    I don't know if this was already mentioned or something, but about Tap Tap Revenge, I thought Apple made it so that if you get the 3.0 Software Update the apps can access your music library, right? I might be wrong but I think that's what I heard. If it's right, then Tapulous could make it so we could use our own library like in Tap Tap Revolution... if it's wrong then sorry for wasting your time

2. Palfince

Palfince Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    England
    Unfortunately it's not possible. Apple haven't allowed developers to analyse the actual music but only let them access the song names, artists, album art etc. This means that developers can only use this access to let people create playlists and play their music from within the app. It's kind of annoying.

Beat Rider got round this by getting people to upload their music to the internet and then download it to their iDevice. It's only $0.99 at the moment and is pretty good.

3. anonymous

anonymous Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    skater
    US
    I wich I could do that but there is beat rider lite for free

4. eggrolls11

eggrolls11 Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but Touchgrind is the only app that accesses your music library from within the application. It creates a skate music playlist :D

5. Coral

Coral Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    #5 Coral, Jul 4, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
    Nope, there are other apps. Topple 2 for one, and I am sure there are others. Oh. Ancient Tribe maybe.

6. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    There are actually quite a lot of apps that will let you access your music. Way too many to mention here. It is genrally in the descriptions, but sometime easy to miss.

7. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    And Baseball Sluggers, Light Bike, and Sentinel use the in-app music.

8. twokidtech

twokidtech Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Oh thanks, I didn't even know Beat Rider went on a sale, I'll just get that for now I guess. Now that I think about it though, if Apple makes it possible for Tapulous to get that feature on TTR, won't all their games like Lady Gaga Revenge and Dave Matthews Band Revenge become really useless, since people could just upload it through their library? They're even $4.99 apps, so maybe Tapulous won't implement that feature even when they can.

9. Sierra275

Sierra275 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2008
    nil
    Singapore
    Okay, I really don't know nuts about programming. But i was wondering if:

The App could allow music to play.
    When it plays, a seperate program analyzes it
    It is saved into a file which is named according to artist and title, which Apple DOES allow.
    The file is then processed if necessary and then used as a playable track.

So basically, you play the song in the app to analyze it first. Have the music play, then have something analyze what's coming out of the speakers.

I really don't know, but it's as much as a programming illiterate can think of a way to indirectly get music like this.

10. indyraider4

indyraider4 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    I have a mild consipiracy theory going that tapulous is the reason all devs can't access music in their games for analysis. It is fairly obvious that apple and tapulous are good friends. Tapulous is one of the largest selling devs in the app store thanks to ttr and ttr2. At first you would think that tapulous would love to have everyone use their own music because everyone would be happy and satisfied with the game. However, this is wrong. If tapulous let people use their own songs, their income would shrink for two reason.
    1- their premium tap tap games would be pointless. Why pay $5 for a theme of a song you already own?
    2- equal opportunity from the competition. One of the reasons Tap Tap is huge, is because it is free, and offers some very big name brands for music, something a small company couldn't do. If everyone had access to their music, all games would be equal, so there would be no difference in picking up Tap Tap 3 or tapstar, other than the gameplay mechanics.
    Apple wants to keep tapulous happy and wouldn't endanger their company. The solution: there is none. If tapulous offered Tap Tap 3 for free which had music access, premium Tap Tap games would dwindle. If you offer Tap Tap 3 for a payed price, a small company would offer the same features for free, and their ad revenue would dwindle. It is an overall lose-lose situation for Tapulous, so apple is helping them avoid it. Oh well, I guess we will never have actual music integration be implemented into the SDK.

11. drunknbass

drunknbass Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2008
    your kind of right. You can access and control playback of iPod music but not analyze the file itself. BUT since ttr and tapstar levels are PREMADE this is totally possible to do. But yes it cannablizes ttr games and they'd never make money selling premium versions at that point. So my guess is is might happen when they stop selling their reskin ports or tapstar v2 comes out 