About Armed Heroes Online vs. Torchlight (response from EGLS)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Serena zhang, Jul 17, 2012.

1. sabin1981

sabin1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Engineer
    Norway
    Hahaha, I think DelusionalTool might have quoted the wrong person... or perhaps got a few wires crossed somewhere :D

2. PrayForDeath

PrayForDeath Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2012
    You aren't talking to EGLS, lol.

3. Delusionaltool

Delusionaltool Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    #83 Delusionaltool, Jul 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
    hahahahah i thought TBALD worked for EGLS, im at work i might of missed a post but whatever!!! I see now WOOOPS, TBALD worked or works for runic, i got delusional there hahaha, but we can repeat over and over, egls is in the wrong simple....

4. sabin1981

Mar 12, 2012
    Engineer
    Norway
    Naw man, Tbaldree is a portmanteau of "Travis Baldree" - the creator of FATE and (co?)founder of Runic, also creator of Torchlight :D

5. talimorrigan

talimorrigan Member

Jul 18, 2012
    that's not racism. Only facts.

Also, who designed and created the know-how to make it? Apple, China is simply making them. And we know how those molds leak and end up in other places... :rolleyes:

The difference is, one takes the story and base on it, and create original things. The other actually ripping off, duplicating, and even using leaked out molds or any other items or even directly copying things.

6. Delusionaltool

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    yayayayaya :) i get it :)....but he gets what i mean that was for EGLS.... i hate companies that pull this crap and think they can get away with it...

7. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    That article is making an argument as to why plagiarism is wrong. When you make a moral argument is not uncommon to say that "something" is like "something" else (or that one thing is a form of another thing). So yeah, you can argue that plagiarism is like theft, or even that it is "a form" of theft. But it isn't actually theft: you don't get 2-5 years for plagiarizing a term paper; you won't find a single religious text that says that using someone's work without attribution is a sin (that would be a hoot, since religious texts plagiarize unapologetically).

Ultimately, plagiarisim is an offense against an ethical system we have deviced to remunerate creative work. In the scope of human history, the idea that authors "own" their work is a fairly recent. The idea that you own an object that you make or purchase is a much older concept. If I take that object from you I deprive you of your use of it. If I copy your artwork and pass it off as my own, I may threaten your ability to profit from said artwork (since I can directly compete with you in the marketplace without putting as much effort as you did), I may be lowering the value of your original creation, but I'm not depriving you of the artwork itself. It may be wrong, but it does not meet the criteria for actual theft.

You could argue, however, that plagiarism is a form of fraud. But that's another can of worms ;).

8. tbaldree

tbaldree Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Game Developer
    Seattle
    Wait, what? I'm from Runic. I'm the one who is making the complaint.

[edit]ok, I see you figured it out :)

9. Delusionaltool

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    I KNOW MAN!!!! rofl as i said i got delusional, im at work just missed something there... im sorry!!!!! but if you worked for Egls it would of been a doozy! haha

10. sabin1981

Mar 12, 2012
    Engineer
    Norway
    Not to disparage the rest of your post (like I said, we're pretty much just "fighting" over different definitions of the same outcome) but..

That's why I believe the definitions of "theft" and also of "plagiarism" need to be updated and brought up to modern, digital age, standards. The developers and engineers created the audio files, textures and models just as much as engineers create the engines in a Boeing 747. We may be in a digital age now, but the product is no less real because of it. Any way, like I said, I don't disagree with you on any one point except the definition of what EGLS did. So rather than cluttering up the thread with our back and forth, let's just drop it and agree on one thing; what they did was wrong :D

11. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    This kind of stuff is happening all over the app store.People trying to take someone elses work, adjust things around, then plop on a different title and call it their own.

Don't understand why people are talking as if these criminals are going to get a warning and then go back to their game and try again. The only thing keeping this from a serious case of theft to be dealt with is the location. If this were in this Country these people would be facing a giant lawsuit and potentially Jail time or other serious consequences.

If they dont crackdown hard on it now, as an example, It is just going to keep on happening.

I feel like some Foriegn people are trying to swindle us Americans but they fail terribly. Just the wording alone is way to obvious, anyone born with English as their first language can just tell. However it should stay focused on the issue at hand and not go any further. People from around the world post on these forums without any prejudice...

12. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Dude, you are making an absolute statement that is both clearly wrong and racist. Keep it up and you will be banned (by me).

13. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    We can agree there ;).

14. nfong

nfong Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Lol, just finished reading through this thread. There's no doubt that EGLS stole from Runic - hope Apple makes the right call and removes their game from the App Store

15. Delusionaltool

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    #95 Delusionaltool, Jul 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
    Square that is interesting as Quentin is one of my fav directors, he is a huge fan of Hong Kong cinema, I dont know if he stole that per se maybe paying homage to it in his film , he does alot of that but i get your saying...

check this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reservoir_dogs

even explains city of fire..

16. Skillmaster19

Skillmaster19 Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Look at Graal online, graphics were a huge clone of zelda and never got sued. They got into trouble once for originally calling it Zelda online but never since renaming it. Look at the original graphics of Graal Online. The iPhone version decided to make a new tileset, but look at pics1 and see what I mean. recolored set.

Also updated my OP at the end of page 6 with a new image comparing the graphics Runic Games themselves posted.

17. sabin1981

Mar 12, 2012
    Engineer
    Norway
    It's offensive to even look at your posts. Thank god for an ignore list.

18. metalslime

metalslime Active Member

Feb 19, 2009
    So just cause Graal online did it without major lawsuit makes it okay? I don't understand the logic here...

19. Delusionaltool

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    I'm kinda confused! You are sure you don't work for EGLS? I mean fine the graphics are not EXACT but they are almost identical minus some differences, adding a model from torchlight and giving him a bow and arrow does not make a difference your just adding to a torchlight model.... What point are you trying to make im not seeing it, argue about the graphics all you want they also took the sounds directly from torchlight they even have the same misspelling this is not coincidence!

20. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    Cloning and copying files are two completely different things.

If I made a game that was a Super Mario Bros clone, that's all fine and good (so long as it wasn't infringing on the legally protected IP of Nintendo). But if I took the actual sprites and sound files from Super Mario Bros (not recreated them, but the actual files) and plugged them into my clone, it's blatant theft, even if I modify the files a little bit.

Armored Heros did not clone Torchlight. They straight up used files from Torchlight. There's no justification that makes this ok, not even the twiddling of the models to make them look a little different.