About Armed Heroes Online vs. Torchlight (response from EGLS)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Serena zhang, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Delusionaltool

Delusionaltool Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    #41 Delusionaltool, Jul 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
    hahah, welcome to the foray Patrick i am a premium giant-bomb member. you guys always rock the house. Patrick you have been awesome addition to the GB crew you have some very good articles and this kind of article is right up your ally. I hope you can get a story out on this...

Egls you straight took the assets from torchlight you cant deny it, the pictures posted by Runic is so blatant obvious , once again ASSets you being the ass of the ets (you see what i did there hah). I mean even the sound files have the same name and miss-spellings, i know your english is bad but come on now ROFL, i mean Ive seen some stuff in the apple store but this might take the cake for me, the cake is not a lie Egls you are the cake and you will be eaten by runic and their lawyers.

2. MrSpud

MrSpud Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2009
    Custom finishing carpenter
    Wasaga beach, Ontario, Canada
    Wow! This is getting interesting! About the first post, this is one of those moment where it would have been better not to say anything. Here's my analogy...

Someone steals my car, I find that person and confront them. They tell me that's is not my car because that one is a different color! And it's got a brand new cupholder!!

Anyway, Apple will have the final word...

3. MattyFTM

MattyFTM Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Always looking for those hot scoopz, Patrick!!

4. sabin1981

sabin1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Engineer
    Norway
    Nice analogy! :D

Let's just hope it's the right word. It wouldn't be the first time Apple continued to allow the sale of a game that was pretty much stolen almost pixel-for-pixel (coughzyngacough)

5. Irishbrewed

Irishbrewed New Member

Jul 17, 2012
    This just goes to show any ahole can make a mobile game... Thank you TB for pointing this fail on top of fail thread out...so much win

6. florendas

florendas Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    Man I hope Apple bans these guys because I bet there are a bunch of Chinese devs thinking about doing this kind of thing on iOS not that its available in China. Next time they won't release their clone in the west just in the Chinese App stores then how will we notice.

7. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #47 backtothis, Jul 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
    Give it a day. Someone's about to get steamrolled by the power of the internet/mass media. Not sure what's more pathetic: the terribly attempted defense in the OP or the plagiarism.

Edit: By the way, if you still don't have Torchlight, hurry up and get it on Steam/XBLA/etc. The sequel will be out soon. Amazing dungeon crawler.

8. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    That's actually the scary part of this all. If they got away with this, it would open the floodgates of copy/paste money grabs and completely ruin iOS as a valid gamer's market. iOS already deals with plenty of copycat devs, allowing actual copy/paste jobs would tank the whole market.

So yeah, Apple really needs to make the right choice here...

9. florendas

May 1, 2009
    I hope an Apple person is reading this.

10. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    No, it isn't. Plagiarism is not the same thing as stealing. If you want a proper analogy, it's like a writer getting caught quoting from another person's work without attribution and claiming that 1) most of my book isn't plagiarized and 2) the work I plagiarized borrowed from the same sources I did. It's obviously inane, but the response is not dissimilar to those of well-regarded writers who have been caught doing the same thing that EGLS did (not to mention the thousands of college students in the US who plagiarize every day).

BTW I don't mean to minimize EGLS sin here: a few years ago I did a Google search on one of my clients and found a jerk in NY who claimed to have designed a very prominent website that I'd done -- he even took the screenshots from my portfolio website. It pissed me off to no end, particularly because I had clients in NY myself, and if they'd seen this guy's website they could has though I was the one who was full of crap.

My point is that we don't need to come up with bullcrap analogies to make what EGLS did sound worse than what it is.

11. Delusionaltool

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    apple passes copies all the time even fake apps, like mario or nintendo games poor contra ports someone tries to pull fast ones and some how it always makes it past apple.

12. Delusionaltool

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    man got a tough crowd i thought i was being funny and true also not even a peep i must be loosing my touch in my old age of 33.

13. florendas

May 1, 2009
    *slow handed clap*...?

14. Delusionaltool

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    #54 Delusionaltool, Jul 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
    heyyyyyyyyyyyyy! :), the bottom line is this Egls plagiarized Runic , when runic showed images that are straight from there game even the colors are the same, and the stab to end it all is the sound files using the same names complete with improper spelling, when i read that i LOL! sorry Egls your argument is invalid here, just admit the fact what you have done and end this, cease and desist save you money from lawyers and pull out before its too late.

p.s. - Egls in your argument you talk about Fate which was the predecessor to Torchlight the same guy wrote it, also the Diablo 2 stuff made me laugh cause some of the guys that made that also made Torchlight... Just call the game Torchlight heroes and be done with it. Also there is Wikipedia

- Development of the game was led by Travis Baldree, designer of Fate, joined by Max Schaefer and Erich Schaefer (co-designers of Diablo and Diablo II), and the team that worked with Baldree on the original incarnation of Mythos. Runic Games has announced a sequel Torchlight II, planned for release on PC in 2012.

15. Joltrabbit

Joltrabbit Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2012
    My thoughts, too. I was trying to stay middle of the road (which may be reeeeeally difficult soon).

16. Kikekun

Kikekun Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Artist
    Kudos to Runic for handling this so elegantly.
    As an artist myself I would be completely out of my mind and pissed as hell if that would happen to us with any of our games.
    I hope Apple does the right thing here and removes Armed Heroes from the App Store at least until they learn to make their own assets.

17. florendas

May 1, 2009
    :) Their Argument is invalid. Agreed!!

* stands up and claps* ...?

18. talimorrigan

talimorrigan Member

Jul 18, 2012
    I'm lolling hard on this situation, I can't for the love of all that is torchy understand how they can defend stealing from Runic.

But on serious note; Why would they create anything original? Why break that trend in china, have you seen anything original that actually works and of good quality coming from there? :p Time to clone the molds of Playstation 3 and call it Polystation :p

19. Delusionaltool

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    all plagiarism aside KIKEKUN when is Supermagical hitting i am chomping at the bit and it will be nice to play a game without stolen assets!

20. Skillmaster19

Skillmaster19 Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2010
    #60 Skillmaster19, Jul 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
    What needs to be be done is actually look at the unexported blender or whatever the company is using files and all that to see if they really produced it on their own...

The graphics definitely look similar. A little too similar. I wouldn't be suprised if the EGLS had the torchlight models open on one screen, and created their own on another monitor, closely trying to replicate them. This technically isn't against the law or against what Runic Games considers their standards based on what they said. but this cant be proven. Look at the house in the example picture, the one in torchlight has several logs, the one in AOH has much fewer. This cannot be a result of reducing polygon count or different shaders. The plant also has holes in completely different locations. This cannot result from lowering the vertices in a model. eyes of the goblin are very different in size, much larger in one of them.[​IMG]

The graphics are certainly very similar and obviously based off of torchlight, but not stolen.

you need to zoom in and look carefully to see differences in fine detail. This is because of the originally poor resolution

Attached Files: