About Armed Heroes Online vs. Torchlight (response from EGLS)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Serena zhang, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Bryan @ Muteki Corp

Bryan @ Muteki Corp Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2009
    President, The Muteki Corporation
    But...it's so much more cost effective to just re-use yours.
    I mean after all, you know how expensive it is to get art made in CHINA? What, do you want them to have to outsource it all?

2. TotalBiscuit

TotalBiscuit New Member

Jul 17, 2012
    Oh my, the cutest part of the OP was the FATE comparison. Hey, those guys ripped off FATE! Oh wait, they also made FATE, Runic staff worked on it before creating Runic.

3. juv3nal

juv3nal Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2010
    Oh man, they actually decided to go to bat and try to defend this?
    :D

That is too funny. I mean from a PR standpoint, the way to go would be to throw someone under the bus and claim that management had no idea/we're totally sorry/we fired the loser responsible etc.

But really? They're going to try saying what they did was okay?

That is too funny.

4. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

*gets the popcorn*

5. Akiratech

Akiratech Active Member

Oct 23, 2011
    game designer
    i think the point is runic make a port of the game and dont b***h about being ripped off when you should have done yourself nuff said and done deal :
    imma need that app on my desk by five lol:D

6. pr1me

pr1me New Member

Jul 17, 2012
    Holy crap my Twitter feed is exploding with laughter at this "they stole from themselves first!" argument. What a delightful display of schadenfreude.

7. Robotwars

Robotwars Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2011
    The scary part is if you read the original forum, people actually tried to use this argument. Really.

Laugh.

8. iamthekiller

iamthekiller Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    When you're so obviously caught red handed, criminals and stupid people often just claim complete denial. There's nothing further to lose at that point and it's crazy enough that some might side with the criminal.

9. nickd3000

nickd3000 Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2011
    indie game developer
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Oh wow, the sheer stupidity of this :D
    I'm at a loss for words!

10. sakinnuso

sakinnuso Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Kind of blown away by the response of EGLS. Maybe due process works very differently in China, but the logic behind what they've chosen as articles to defend themselves is incredibly circuitous.

I mean, Runic and EGLS aren't even arguing the same points. In fact, EGLS never actually addresses the DIRECT POINTS AND EXAMPLES of THEFT that Runic accuses them of.

Okay, big BIG props to TA for turning this fiasco around and putting the argument that Travis presented as plainly as possible with accompanying pictures. How TA has handled the situation is the definition of responsible.

In the original thread, my posted opinion was to close it out and lock the thread, but doing so wouldn't have allowed all of the arguments to mature. Hodap gets credit for keeping things open - which seemed insane at the time - and working behind the scenes to get the entire story out.

Had EGLS publicly admitted that they'd used assets - even feigning that it was without their knowledge - and removed the app, I think that would've demonstrated a company that was reasonable.

Their reply, however, shows that Travis was right when he said that EGLS probably isn't a company they'd want to work with in the future.

Once I saw Patrick Klepek in the thread, that's how you know that "it just got real."

11. Hawkn

Hawkn Member

Jul 17, 2012
    For some reason, the OP reminds me a lot of spam emails I get on a regular basis now that I re-read it.

Also, last I heard, Runic just sicced their lawyers on Apple and EGLS today.

12. Akiratech

Akiratech Active Member

Oct 23, 2011
    game designer
    aww damn didn't see that ,hilarious, but still want torchlight for my ipad still so maybe we the gamers get a silver lining out of this and not spend money on a ripoff

13. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

This thread deserves an award. Eli, please? Can you make that happen??

As I said in the AH thread, the one good thing that came from this was the fact that ir turned me, and probably a few others, ONTO Torchlight. I don't know about anyone else, but those 1200 MSP were never better spent. As far as AH, yeah. Uh huh. You keep trying to justify it. Shame the People behind Diablo and Fate decided to bring their creations forward.

If I had a good ASCII facepalm, this is where I'd use it.

14. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    They are just testing out the double speak that they will use to stall apple for a bit and getting free press from Touch Arcade. Considering they stole the assets and made this for peanuts, how long do they really need to stall Apple to make a profit?

They are probably reading this thread taking notes. "Ok, got it, dont mention Fate to Apple...Maybe we can throw Everquest in there? Yeah, that might work!"

15. paulishuku

paulishuku Member

Jul 12, 2012
    Guys, this response has to be a random troll and not someone who directly works for EGLS. Using FATE and Diablo as examples is just stupidity. I wouldn't take this response too seriously unless he can honestly be confirmed.

16. Akiratech

Akiratech Active Member

Oct 23, 2011
    game designer
    i think the main thing was if this game existed before on the mobile space then ppl wopuld have been like its a ripoff dont buy it (hence the angry birds rip-offs but the fact there are not much games that resemble this rip-off makes ppl want to side with the scam artist just to play the game in the end result, players just want to play games the same as when you go to buy that non-fair trade coffee in the morning :cool:

17. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

It's posted via a Chinese IP after registering using an email address from http://g2us.com .

If it's not real, it's one hell of a troll.

18. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    Plus - it's been promoting this when it was still in the upcoming games thread.

19. RobotArcade

RobotArcade New Member

Jul 17, 2012
    #39 RobotArcade, Jul 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
    Have you ever considered that the "men you're walking with" are trying to teach you that stealing is wrong?

20. stlredbird

stlredbird Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    I was going to post this on the front page but I can't figure out how to post using my TA ID.

I'm with Hodap on this one. At first I was like, who cares, a lot of developers copy others and this looked really cool (never heard of Torchlight). Then you see that the sound assets were directly ripped and I just can't support that no matter how much I want to play the game.