About Armed Heroes Online vs. Torchlight (response from EGLS)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Serena zhang, Jul 17, 2012.

1. xDyNaMiiCx

xDyNaMiiCx Active Member

May 8, 2012
    As a game developer I can see one being upset and cheated. As a gamer like me, I can careless. Really at the end of the day this helps the sense to see mobile games are being upgraded day by day. In order for your app game to sell it has to be real good game. Like order of chaos, armed heros, mc3,nova 3.

2. geoelectric

geoelectric Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    The detrimental effect I see is that if we allow a culture of ripping off art, developers may be discouraged and release less games or worse-quality games. There's a certain value in rewarding those who not only put out a fun game, but do it without unfair tactics.

It is interesting to me that of your four examples, three are direct gameplay clones of WoW, COD, and Halo; and the last is an asset clone. Those are all fine and well and, AH aside, I have all of them too. Gameloft has very convenient $0.99 sales for stuff like that.

But the ones I put serious money into are games that actually manage to come up with both relatively novel gameplay -and- assets: Space Miner, Osmos, Machinarium, Nihilumbra, SpaceChem, Ascension, etc. Many are ports or adaptations, and many build on classic mechanics, but in each case the money paid rewards a developer who truly came up with all aspects of a great game, and who will hopefully come up with more.

3. Toghopper

Toghopper Active Member

Jul 14, 2012
    #243 Toghopper, Jul 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
    Yeah,if all games ape cod or wow,then pretty soon all were playing cod and wow clones,iOS games deserve better than that right?

And while I'm sure the game was fun, it contained lifted material which i can't support. And I've played torchlight,when i pick up a different game I want to fight different enemies,not the ones from torchlight.

Theres a lot more to consider here than fun I guess.

And I agree that having better games on iOS would be great,but I think they should original as well as fun.
    Also the "screw it it's fun" excuse is too close to the "screw it it's free" mentality of pirates for me. I really find entitlement like this painful.

Edit: lol,i just realized i pretty much just restated what the guy above me said...but in dumb-guy talk!

4. xDyNaMiiCx

xDyNaMiiCx Active Member

May 8, 2012
    Fair enough, I'm just a fan of iOS and seeing how far phone games came I'm just happy over all. Again originally is overall needed for iOS. I just hope armed heroes is not shut down, that's all. Really fun game. I like it.

5. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

They're thieves numbnuts, fun or not what they did is wrong. Jesus some people are dumb ####s.

6. Toghopper

Toghopper Active Member

Jul 14, 2012
    i think they said in the article that theyre going to take out the questionable assets and replace them with different/new ones or something along those lines.

Everyone wins with this solution,Runic,EGLS and i think most importantly us-the gamers.

Fresh mobs/items/sounds, etc. to what i hear is a pretty fun game is a win in my book.:D

7. Skillmaster19

Skillmaster19 Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2010
    #247 Skillmaster19, Jul 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
    /5char

edit: sorry wrong order idk how to change order of pics

Attached Files:

8. Varking

Varking Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2010
    Stand Up Comedian
    North Carolina
    Did you see the post yet about where the sounds were directly ripped from Torchlight? How do you defend that? They show the Torchlight sound files, and the sound files for this game and they are word for word copies, including Torchlights own misspellings.

9. Delusionaltool

Delusionaltool Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    #249 Delusionaltool, Jul 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
    ROFL, they still are not owning up to what they did i'm so baffled by this...i see Skillmaster is still defending them to the death i admire his passion hahahha.

EGLS is changing stuff which is great, but they still dont believe they should have too. really really ridiculous IMO...I will never buy a EGLS game ever.

10. geoelectric

geoelectric Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Did he edit his post? It was just a couple of screencaps of EGLS announcing in-game that the game was taken down and would be coming back after they change the assets.

I don't see much defending going on now, and I found it interesting.

11. Skillmaster19

Dec 9, 2010
    Was defending them earlier, that last post was just me sharing screenshots in game stating they took it down themselves and plan to remake some of the assets and it should be back up real soon, I figured it was just information I could share that really can't be argued about, just noting they're changing it.

12. Varking

Oct 19, 2010
    Stand Up Comedian
    North Carolina
    You still claimed earlier they didn't take anything, and I, among others, point to the sound files being exactly the same. No comment on those?

13. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Wow. Buh bye Sadron. You moron. That's the most bone headed and idiotic thing I've seek on the internets in a long time, and that's saying a lot.

Kudos for being so arrogant though, that takes balls.

14. Skillmaster19

Dec 9, 2010
    This is the guys only post, and its a harassment post with no purpose except spreading hatred and racism.

Hope this guy gets banned, just another torchlight fanboy who joined the TA forums to rage :/

15. nfong

nfong Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Lol, yes he made a racist comment, but "just another torchlight fanboy"? Really? Don't tell me you still think EGLS did nothing wrong...

16. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

This. Skillblaster your comment is just as ignorant, you know the clichè addage "you know what it means when you assume? You are an idiot"

The dude was a troll, pure and simple. He could have just as easily never played Torchlight. For all we know he could be Chinese and just felt like stirring the pot (no pun intended ;)).

Either way, I am still disgusted in EGLS. They haven't owned up to the mistake, even though they got caught with their hand in the cookie jar. It seems like a reactionary response to their app getting pulled, as before that they simply shrugged and pulled a "Who, me?".

Why anyone would want to support and do business with a company like that is beyond me.

17. Varking

Oct 19, 2010
    Stand Up Comedian
    North Carolina
    You comment on everything but the question I keep asking you. I will ask it one more time. If you do not answer we should let it be known that you fully understand that they did steal sounds.

How do you, as somebody who claims they stole nothing, explain the fact that they have Torchlight sound files in their game, even using the same names from Torchlight for the file names, including Torchlights misspellings?

18. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    How he can keep on defending EGLS is a joke. Sounds like a politician according the questions you want answered

19. gfxdaddy

gfxdaddy Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Male
    Illustrator | Web | Graphic | Digital Publishing D
    London, UK
    Give it up my man, Skillmaster19 will never answer your question because he knows that answering it will be admitting he is dead-wrong and that they did steal all their assets (not just sounds) from Torchlight.

I read somewhere recently that Runic just sicced their lawyers on them, hence (and the only reason why) they will be changing some assets. EGLS is a dirty company, and I won't be giving them a penny of mine. I think I can wait patiently until Infinity Dungeons drops.

20. nekros

nekros Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Too bad a real version of Torchlight isn't available on this platform. This business did net Runic a sale though :) I'd like to thank them for putting out a quality dungeon crawler for Mac. Diablo 3 runs like crap on my box, but Torchlight is smooth, not to mention $50 cheaper.

On topic, I hope those thieves get run out of town, figuratively speaking. I know they won't get my $$ in any case