About Armed Heroes Online vs. Torchlight (response from EGLS)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Serena zhang, Jul 17, 2012.

1. nfong

nfong Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Lol. Also doesn't seem the OP is going to be posting anytime soon...hasn't been online since last morning when she made this thread. xP

2. BallsToTheWall

BallsToTheWall Active Member

Jun 21, 2011
    #222 BallsToTheWall, Jul 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
    No, what you are saying is tantamount to racism. Your narrow ignorant belief aside, you are disparaging a whole nation (of people) by stereotype. It is like if I say America is a nation of murderers who invades and kill innocent people in third world countries.

While what EGLS did is deplorable to say the least, you should refrain from generalizing a country over it.

3. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Bold prediction: She will return to tell us that some unnamed, impossible to hold accountable contracted artist/sound designer was responsible, that EGLS had no idea the assets were stolen, and that the individual(s) responsible have been relieved of their duties. Kinda like what happened with that game Thor Jewels or whatever :p

4. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Shhhhh, don't give them ideas!

5. tristanmathers

tristanmathers New Member

May 9, 2012
    Wow

A quote from Confucius

Gimme a freakin' break

6. Noah

Noah Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Male
    Development Manager
    Atlanta, GA
    Maybe they did it on purpose (created their own assets, but then named them exactly the same as torchlight assets) just to drum up controversy about their game.

Cause I know I'm sure as heck going to buy it the moment it's available to purchase!!!

7. PrayForDeath

PrayForDeath Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2012
    It's free

8. Toghopper

Toghopper Active Member

Jul 14, 2012
    #228 Toghopper, Jul 19, 2012
    Man this exact argument was just happening the other day on some site i go to, i cant remember which one,but one guy ended the debate with this:

"How can hate of a country, comprised of so many different ethnic groups, be considered racist?"

Granted everyone was talking about mexico, and china is probably 98% full of Chinese people, but you know,food for thought!

9. Ganesha

Ganesha New Member

Jul 18, 2012
    any publicity is good publicity.

Creating drama is always the best way to draw public attention. Both Runic and ELGS stand to benifit from this series. Not sure if ELGS did it on purpose, but without this apparent debacle, as an absolute nobody stranger in the market, no way they could show up on the front page of the major mobile game sites. Now it seems that they already pulled out of AppStore, but let me make a bold prediction, they will come back very soon with the clean version, because they might already have it in their back pocket.:cool:

10. Toghopper

Toghopper Active Member

Jul 14, 2012
    are you checking the Canadian app store? its only released there i think.

11. Ganesha

Ganesha New Member

Jul 18, 2012
    just checked, not there anymore

12. Toghopper

Toghopper Active Member

Jul 14, 2012
    #232 Toghopper, Jul 19, 2012
  13. Toghopper

Toghopper Active Member

Jul 14, 2012
    Good job gang,i feel like we were on the frontline of the battle lol!

14. Delusionaltool

Delusionaltool Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    #234 Delusionaltool, Jul 19, 2012
    Bahaha egls still cant admit what they have done, they were caught red handed by Runics own T.Baldtree i bet Skillmaster is going to be posting more bs lol. They want to send apple the files they used. Ok you do that send them torchli...i mean armored heroes here are the files we stole roflmao. That is gonna be alot of stuff to change i bet the same models are gonna be used just different colors the sound should be interesting im sure they got a group of people making mouth noises and flatulence! Ohhh i see Skillmaster does their sound work.

15. Joltrabbit

Joltrabbit Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2012
    I wonder if they're just going to rename all the sound files and simply add a few mustaches to all the characters. bearded dwarf women!

16. sabin1981

sabin1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Engineer
    Norway
    Yeah.. getting out of the angry disputes is worth your time, but stealing someone else's hard work is acceptable behaviour, right? They haven't even apologised.. they're acting like they're only doing this under extreme duress and because they "care about the players" -- not caring about the developer they screwed over and then publicly branded a liar >_> Why do they need to modify anything if they've done nothing wrong, as they maintain? They're absolutely despicable.

Backup your original Armed Heroes IPAs, folks, before EGLS tries to sweep this under the rug and claim it never happened.

17. xDyNaMiiCx

xDyNaMiiCx Active Member

May 8, 2012
    At the end of the day I don't care who stole what. Armed heros is a hella good game. I'm enjoying it right now more then Order of chaos. So u guys keep bitching I'm keep playing.

18. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Welcome to the forums, random real person with own opinion.

19. xDyNaMiiCx

xDyNaMiiCx Active Member

May 8, 2012
    Well isn't everyone real here ? Mean we are gamers and like to play games right ?

20. geoelectric

geoelectric Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Yep. I wouldn't support this one, because I think validating the unauthorized use of assets has a detrimental effect on the scene as a whole. But I can also see where one could just say "screw it, it's fun."

Someone did compare this to a remix/mashup as an example of why this could be OK. I disagree, since the new work didn't actually comment on or transform what it borrowed; it was more like Vanilla Ice borrowing Queen's Under Pressure, a shortcut rather than a greater work.

If someone *were* to borrow assets from one or more games such that the new work commented on the originals and also transformed them into something truly novel, I think I'd actually be all for that. This just isn't that game.