About Armed Heroes Online vs. Torchlight (response from EGLS)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Serena zhang, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Yes but as runic stated they didn't reuse any sound or graphical assets from diablo when making torchlight

2. lockeslylcrit

lockeslylcrit Member

Jul 18, 2012
    Well, it really depends on the person buying it. If they have had no experience playing Diablo-like games before, Torchlight (right now) at $3.74 is a good deal to get one's feet wet. If they don't like the genre, then they only lose out on less than four bucks, a bit better than 20 dollars.
    But honestly, we all want Runic to succeed and we want to support them, so laying down the 20 dollars for the pre-order helps pay Runic's bills.

3. Badtz

Badtz Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Stop it. I feel embarrassed for you.

4. Aegeri

Aegeri New Member

Jul 18, 2012
    #184 Aegeri, Jul 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
    I have been content to just read this site and forums for several months now, but this gigantic load of horse shit you just wrote has prompted me to register. I have barely heard of any problems with torchlight before and certainly not of that magnitude on PC, Mac or 360. I own the game on PC and bought a copy for my mother (a big fan of diablo like games) also on PC without any issue on multiple computers.

Quite frankly I suspect you pirated the game (where I do know it has some issues at times) or are blatantly lying, which would fit with the other posts you have been making on this topic.

Also, as a general comment: Shame on anyone defending this blatant theft of someone else's work. I have always thought well of this site due to its prominence in actually trying to sort through and promote many iOS games. That there are many people here who are honestly saying crap like "Why are these guys complaining about theft, all I want to do is play the game!" is just entirely wrong. It is giving some outside of this forum a bad (and false, the vast majority of commentators here support runic) reputation for "supporting" theft, which is just going to negatively impact on the reputation of one of the only good iOS review/news sites.

But I am most disappointed in apple, who have really not done anything significant yet with these (very compelling) claims against the game going around. Their response to this will probably be one of the most important parts of this entire debate and I suspect if they do nothing, expect blatant asset theft to become a thing on the store.

5. mr ed209

mr ed209 Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Your posts read like someone behind Armed Heroes is paying you to deliberately foul up these threads with so much utter nonsense it becomes impossible to have a decent discussion any more.

There's certainly almost no universal truth to your rants.

6. Ganesha

Ganesha New Member

Jul 18, 2012
    Just wanted to clarify that legally one can definitely steal from his own works.

I didn't say that Travis stole from Diablo when making TL. It's just that many people here were saying that one cannot steal from the game created by himself. So I just wanted to clarify that legally one definitely CAN steal from "his" own works. clear?

7. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Anyone having trouble understanding why Skillmaster19 is backing EGLS so fiercely (and inanely) should refer to this post.

8. ttocs

ttocs Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2012
    Sr. Data Analyst
    Baltimore, MD
    I was hoping this was all just a big misunderstanding, but the evidence is way too damning. Sure, the game has some unique stuff but that's just because you can't copy and paste a game as your own. What this guy tried to do was skirt around doing work by stealing art and sounds from another game and thought he would get away with it. It's really sad because I'm sure he spent a lot of time on the other stuff. Unfortunately, that's all wasted because he tried to take a shortcut.

And future thieves out there note - rename the damn files. That's just embarrassing.

9. Rocotilos

Rocotilos Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    iOS Apps & Games Developer
    I have no evidence other than investigated earlier in page 13, post #129, but i think they might've pulled some reverse engineer on the codes as well. these reverse engineering codes thingamabob do exist, but in the hush2 society that lives in dark sewerage and swamps. for the right amount of money.
    u did not hear this from me though.

10. Toz

Toz Member

Jul 18, 2012
    Nothing to "brighten" the day than to see trolls(Skillmaster19, Ganesha...) loosing control of their flaps.

My head hurts. Just stop it already. Embrace logical thinking. :D

11. ttocs

ttocs Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2012
    Sr. Data Analyst
    Baltimore, MD
    Fanboys will be fanboys...

12. sabin1981

sabin1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Engineer
    Norway
    EGLS should not only have the game pulled from the app store but app sites, such as TA and PocketGamer, should also put an embargo on any future EGLS games. The fact that they lied about what they've done, then steadfastly refused to pull the game of their volition, just means they cannot be trusted and shouldn't be endorsed by gaming sites.

13. ttocs

ttocs Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2012
    Sr. Data Analyst
    Baltimore, MD
    Agreed. It really shouldn't get any publicity for this game.

14. TC-man

TC-man New Member

Jul 18, 2012
    Hi,

I totally disagree with what you said about the whole thing; you are just finding poorly worded excuses in order to condone what your company has done, and above that also abusing the meaning of Confucius' quote. If I have to give you an example that is easy to understand in China is comparing your company to someone who has secretly learned, and thus stealing a martial arts or Kung Fu style from some famous Kung Fu school; in ancient times this kind of thievery would have been punished with death penalty. Your company's action (like many others) has brought China a bad name, hence the term "China quality" and when people are talking about China, people immediately think about piracy and copyright infringements.

Do yourself a favor and pull the game from the Apple Appstore yourself, and make an original game instead, a game where you can say: "We are proud of this game because it's truly original and is made in China".

15. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    And ultra cheap plastic waterguns.

Or maybe that's just me...

16. TC-man

TC-man New Member

Jul 18, 2012
    Okay, that too, and cheap firework.

17. talimorrigan

talimorrigan Member

Jul 18, 2012
  18. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    Oh man, China has the best fireworks in the world. When I was in Korea (U.S. Army) I got to see afew nights of an international fireworks competition. It was amazing overall, but China's display totally blew my mind. Their fireworks weren't just explosions of colors, but all sorts of different shapes and geometries. Cubes, pyramids, stars, even smiley faces. It was crazy, and makes me sad that here in the U.S., we're still just popping that same old stuff since who knows how long.

I was happy to see a star shape this past 4th, though. Hopefully next year we'll see some more advanced stuff!

19. Platyrrhine

Platyrrhine Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2012
    Interestingly enough, my ultra cheap plastic water guns came from Canada :D

20. Xeem

Xeem New Member

Jul 18, 2012
    To state your belief that a nation manufactures shoddy products is not racism. For a moderator to threaten to ban someone over that statement is reprehensible, whether you agree with them or not.