Universal Able Black (by Scott Leach)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Mar 10, 2016.

1. VisibleDucts

VisibleDucts Active Member

Dec 26, 2014
    #22 VisibleDucts, Mar 13, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
    That puzzle took me way too long to figure out, and technically I didn't figure it out. As he was falling asleep last night, my boyfriend suddenly is like "I think I know the answer." and he gives me what he thinks is the answer and it's right and I'm like "How did you get that number?" and he said:
    "It's the time." ... the first thing I tried when I realized it said "time" on the key, before reading your 24 hour clock hint. I just completely forgot to try it again using the 24 hour clock... It was great though, because my boyfriend doesn't know the plot or anything. I just was like "I need help." and he ended up becoming obsessed with figuring it out. Thanks for your hint, even if it took us like 12 hours for it to click with one of us.

Now I can finally continue with the story. The puzzles are really clever, but the story is the highlight for me. It's a great setting, with great characters and concept. This game gets a recommendation from me, definitely. Just be prepared for some puzzles that might stump you for awhile (if you're like me...some people, I'm sure, fly through them.)

Edit: Yay! A walkthrough by AppUnwrapper! You're walkthroughs have been a help to me on numerous games, when I get utterly stuck and really want to get past something <3.

2. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014

Say the game ia bad, please. Lol.

I have too much to play.

3. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    There is one final puzzle that lets you access the epilogue after the main story, in case you folks didn't spot it.

4. Lol I really liked it. The story more than the puzzles, but they're still worked into it very nicely. And it reminded me of Device 6 a bit. It's short, if that helps. ;)

5. Ahhh I didn't. Going back now. Thanks!

6. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    So, I have to grab it now. Thanks!

Story is a major thing for me.

7. Skot

Skot New Member

Mar 11, 2016
    Hi all. I'm the developer of Able Black. I'd love to hear any specific feedback you have. For example if you thought the puzzles were too hard or too easy, too few or too many, what you thought of the story, etc.

I plan to continue supporting Able Black with updates and your feedback is super helpful.

Thanks!

8. #29 AppUnwrapper, Mar 13, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
    I still have to read the epilogue bc I had to run out right after I unlocked it. But for the rest of the game, the
    door/window puzzle was the weakest. I'm still not sure why the answer is what it is. Everything else I was able to figure out on my own.

Also, any chance you can add backgrounding capabilities?

9. Skot

Skot New Member

Mar 11, 2016
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm working on an update now. I've made it so the app will run in the background. I've also refined and swapped out some of the clues on the more difficult puzzles. The new clues will apply only to easy mode. I'll also adding 4 - 7 new puzzles.

I really appreciate the feedback.

Thank you.

10. Thanks! Looking forward to the update. I played on Hard mode, btw. So can't comment on the hints. But I prefer the riddles/puzzles to have enough info in them that hints aren't necessary if you just think about it enough.

Played a bit on easy mode just now to see what the hints are like, but couldn't figure out how to access them. Is it after a certain number of wrong answers? Also, I found a typo on a sticky note:
    Who's skull saved the crow?" -- should be WHOSE.

I should also mention that I take a lot of screenshots since I write walkthroughs and reviews. That was the only reason I had a screenshot of the "cheat code" for the epilogue. How else would people have been able to find it once they completed the game? Only option for me besides the epilogue was restarting the game. So you'd have to play through it again to find the cheat code?

11. Skot

Skot New Member

Mar 11, 2016
    #32 Skot, Mar 17, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
    I completely agree that puzzles should not require hints in order to solve them. The hints in easy mode appear after incorrect answers and I've made a real effort to keep them subtle but informative. These are specifically meant for folks who don't want the answer but are struggling to the point of frustration and need a little help.

RE the Door puzzle you mentioned in a previous post, I've added some additional content that I believe will make the puzzle and its answer more clear. Those changes will apply to hard and easy modes... RE the epilogue, I imagined that less as a puzzle and more as an easter egg. I wanted something that required a bit of digging to get to. But your feedback is good. Perhaps it's a bit unfair. I'll look for ways to address it

Thanks too for pointing out the typo. That's one of a few that's also being addressed.

Thanks for the great feedback!

12. If your intention is that players should have to go back and play through it again to find the cheat code, I would suggest making it faster to do so. Currently, it takes some time for the button to appear at the bottom of each page so you can continue on. That's demanding a lot of time and patience from someone just to find that sticky note again.

13. cadillackills

cadillackills Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2015
    Just picked this up, thx for the sale! I keep hearing it's short, but as someone who works 7 days a week I think this is a selling point. Can't wait to jump in.