Ability for a thread starter to delete the thread

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by brewstermax, Nov 29, 2008.

1. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

This should be considered. It would help control obscene behavior in touchy subjects if the starter of the thread could delete it.

2. BulletDev

BulletDev Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    produce applications under "Bullet Development"
    Vancouver, BC
    I agree. Lots of posts I make turn out to be doubles, so I have to get corrected instead of being able to remove it myself.

Please arn, add this feature somehow.

3. Paulio

Paulio Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Local IGA (supermarket)
    Tasmania, Australia
    Good idea. Also would keep down on the amount needed for the server.

4. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Wrong. Threads don't get deleted off the server right away. And they take up VERY LITTLE space

This would be a terrible idea, IMO. I say just get some people to moderate the forums. Or just let them CLOSE the threads

Having members with the ability to delete threads is just a terrible terrible idea.

5. Paulio

Paulio Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Local IGA (supermarket)
    Tasmania, Australia
    True. So I was being a tad over the top with the whole server thing. It is still true, but only to a ridiculous amount. A really stupid thing to say lol :p ><
    but were all guilty of it sometimes.
    Re-thinking the idea I have decided that it would be a bad idea. It's not just you who has said something etc.
    And having a doubled up thread is not always bad. Sometimes it is good to have a refresh

6. BulletDev

BulletDev Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    produce applications under "Bullet Development"
    Vancouver, BC
    Not any thread, just the ones that you created.

7. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    To be more clear the ones BarringtonSoftware has created...kidding!...Seriously though, you have the knack for double-threading...

8. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    I have done it a few times and even tried editing it to say another random thing don't work

9. ITrocks

ITrocks Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2008
    This should definitly be implemented. But the power should not be given to members, but the thread starter as mentioned in the OP. Some random person (maybe EDNG? :D he's got the knack for this kinda thing :D) will start deleting random threads with no reason.
    I think this should be done with posts as well, so that people can delete their own posts..

10. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    I don't think it's necessarily a terrible idea but I do agree with you that we need some moderators.

11. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    We really do.. i hope it doesn't get out of hand with the "ROLANDO RELEASED!!!" or "SIM CITY OUT!!!!" posts... those people should be banned or at least have their threads deleted... I don't think we'd lose out if we were more strict, might lend an air of legitimacy to our posts..

12. The Lab

The Lab Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Utah
    I know of other forums that allow their members to delete their own threads. I don't see why this would be a bad idea.

If you wanted to moderate that then I guess a request could be given to an administrator about deleting your own post, but that would seem like more work for an administrator.

13. I'm up for being a mod, if Arn will have me.