Universal AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! (F = M x A) - (by Dejobaan) - Universal App

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Feb 29, 2012.

1. diffusion8r

diffusion8r Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Termina
    The game is $3. How much content do you expect?

2. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Three times more content than a 99 cents game. LOL. So to be clear, is this game just what we see in the video, and that's it? No twists added later?

3. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    $2.99 is too much for this? Wow... hard to disagree with the freemium trend if iOS gamers are that cheap.

4. diffusion8r

diffusion8r Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Termina
    I can tell none of you are console gamers then.

5. legowiz

legowiz Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Behind you!
    What do you mean? This version has 47 levels, more than half as much as the original version, which is $10 on steam. The sequel has 82 levels from the original, plus 43 new levels, that's 125 levels total, for $10, or 12.5 levels per dollar. This game has 15.67 levels per dollar, which, by the way, is a better value. So, how is it not enough content for the price tag? If the game isn't your type of game, it doesn't mean it's not worth the money. As said by many others before me, appstore customers are getting cheap.

6. studepaber007

studepaber007 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2011
    Ohio
    Looks good! Never played the PC version but I will probably check this out :)

7. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    So your saying a game that's 2.99 should have 3x the content? since angry birds has 200+ levels you would expect a 2.99 casual game to have 600+ levels? a 4.99 casual game to have 1000+?

8. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    It's not that I'm cheap, it's that there are a lot of game options out there, and many of them seem to offer a lot more content than this game, which costs more than those other games. So you say we are being cheap, but this game *doesn't* appear to be offering more than any number of 99 cent games. If this game did offer more, then it would have a reason to be $2.99, but unless there's something I'm missing, it doesn't. If you took Gridrunners and rereleased it for $2.99 but with no new content, just a different name, what fool would buy the $2.99 version? Or something to that effect. Ok, it's not exactly that, but there are a variety of object avoidance games that seem to offer at least as much as this and cost 99 cents. I'm not sure I need another object avoidance game, especially when it's price 3 times higher.

9. Fireball926

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    Although the dev took a 9.99 steam game and reduced the price 66% to 2.99 so you could have it in your pocket. Also if it had no content for 2.99 and even 9.99 why is it the sequel to the devs award winning 2009 indie title. keep in mind the original indie title was

Finalist, IGF 2010 Excellence in Design
    Selected by Penny Arcade for PAX East 2010 Boston Indie Showcase
    ModDB 2009 Editor's Choice Indie Game of the Year
    Finalist, Indie Game Challenge 2010

10. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    This game may be worth $2.99, I just can't tell that from the video. If they release a free lite version, I could find out if it is actually better than that without paying $2.99 up front. So, hopefully they do that.

11. dejobaan

dejobaan Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Whew!

Thanks for the comments, guys. I'm currently trying to put the launch trailer together as we speak. Alex from Owlchemy pointed me here and said, "talk to people."

So, here's a sort-of Q&A based on what y'all are asking:

Q: Why should I even care about the bloody game?

A: The original version won a bunch of praise from folks around the universe. We were an IGF finalist, an Indie Game Challenge finalist, and the folks at Penny Arcade graciously gave us a highlight in their Boston Indie Showcase, so we won an awesome booth at PAX East. We got good previews/reviews (http://www.dejobaan.com/aaaaa/love_us).

If you're PC gamers who are Steam fans: Valve picked Aaaaa! as one of the games to stuff GlaDOS into for the Portal 2 launch (http://bit.ly/gqpFmN) which was a lot of fun. I recently got to go to Valve's headquarters, and I saw Gabe Newell sitting on a chair, playing with an iPad. If I were more gutsy, I would have shoved my iPad at him and had him play F=ma. But I was actually too shy to walk up to him and do that.

Whatever.

Q: What are the bloody game mechanics?

A: The core game's about hugs and kisses. Get close to something -- anything -- for a "kiss," and it'll light up and give you 1,000 points. Stay close to any surface, and you'll get "hugs" for 100 points apiece. So, there's a tension there: you want to stay close to a particular skyscraper to keep getting hugs, but if there are a bunch of cars over to your right, you'll want to give up those hugs and try to hiss them for 100 points apiece.

Atop that, we add the Flip-It<tm> Glove<tm<TM>>. If you see fans (people in blue), tap with your right thumb, and you'll get +3000pts. If you see protesters (people in red), tap with your left thumb, and you'll get points that way. That part of the game becomes a sort-of rhythm game. Add to that graffiti (get close to government buildings and tag them with paint), needle threading, birdstrikes (hitting birds out of the sky), and so forth, and I think we have a really fun game.

Q: Is there more bloody gameplay footage and such?

Here's a PC trailer that describes more of the mechanics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LRQzEunphA&feature=player_embedded

For amusement, here's a TA post from 2009 asking us to port the thing over: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=35880

Q: Do you have more bloody questions?

That's actually a question from me to you. But I put it up there anyway. Like I said, I'm whipping up a quick launch trailer. What can I tell y'all about the game?

12. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Will there be a lite version or other means to try the game out before buying?

13. dejobaan

dejobaan Member

Dec 6, 2009
    For now, we're just doing the full $2.99 version.

For some good bathroom reading, you can peruse our developer's postmortem about the original game's production here: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/134515/postmortem_dejobaan_games_aaaaa_.php?print=1

Scroll down to below the photo of the crying girl, and you'll read about a few things we did wrong with the PC demo.

That is not me. I am a boy. I don't usually cry.

But I do get weepy.

14. studepaber007

Jan 26, 2011
    Ohio
    #34 studepaber007, Feb 29, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
    Is there GameCenter or Openfeint support? Any plans to eventually add more levels? Is there retina support? Will my eyes bleed if I play too long?

15. dejobaan

dejobaan Member

Dec 6, 2009
    > Is there GameCenter or Openfeint support?

GameCenter support!

> Any plans to eventually add more levels?

I honestly don't know what the future holds for F=ma -- I can tell you that if I'm hit by a bus, there will not be any more new levels, ever.

> Is there retina support?

Yes! In fact, I'm looking at it on the 4S now, and it's looooooovely.

> Will my eyes bleed if I play too long?

Yes. I had to play through the entire game multiple times in one day, on multiple devices. I love the game. I think it's fantastic. But as you probably know, QA testing can get rough on the eyeballs.

Fortunately, the levels are bite-sized, so that you can play them while on the subway or pooping.

16. studepaber007

Jan 26, 2011
    Ohio
    Heh thanks and watch out for those buses. Will pick this up tomorrow :)

17. Fireball926

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    Holy crap did you guys see how many unique levels the game features according to the description!!!???

"★ Over 0 unique levels."

looking foward to them ;). you should go fix that!

18. dejobaan

dejobaan Member

Dec 6, 2009
    > looking foward to them . you should go fix that!

Fix? :) I actually always roll my eyes when a game says something like OVER 12 DIFFERENT LEVELS, so I decided to go with the entirely truthful 0+!

19. silentcorp

silentcorp Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2010
    I just did a spit take here at work..... it's $2, what exactly would qualify as "enough content for 99 more cents?"

I got this during a Steam sale a while back and never played it much (sounds about right) so perhaps I'll give the mobile version a go.

20. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    I quite frankly do not care about the amount of levels in the sequel or how many levels there are per dollar. I didn't say it wasn't my type of game did I? Of course you could say how many levels ther are per dollar. Look how many levels there are in LoE. Some games have at least 200 levels for a dollar.

For example: Mission Europa: I have played over 4000 mins in that game, which is about 7 hours. And it cost $10. Besides, the falling and avoiding obstacles, what else is there to this game? That's all I'm asking.

There are games that give you way more bang for your buck. I'm not saying that this game isn't worth the money. I just want to see why it's priced at $3 when I'm not seeing it have much content.