Universal A Ride into the Mountains

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by lekochen, Jul 23, 2013.

1. lekochen

lekochen Member

Jul 19, 2013
    The game should name "A Ride into the Mountains" so that is definitely my mistake. If I am able to change the name I will definitely do it when I make a patch. However, if I can't, I will treat it as a printing error of box art, just like the old days. ;) Thanks for your reminder. Don't worry, we use "A Ride into the Mountains" in the game.

2. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    Played it and love this game, but please, give us an option to switch off the tilt control, I cannot beat the first boss, I really cannot stand tilt control, this game would be so great without tilt

3. lekochen

lekochen Member

Jul 19, 2013
    I feel sorry that we really can't switch off the tilt control now. One reason is that after stage one the player will learn a new skill and the perspective will become top-down. Both of them will make the control more complex so we need tilt to control player's move.

However I can provide some tips for the first boss. You can move to one side of the screen, fire some arrows. If enemies start attack, move to the other side immediately. Don't stay too long in the center of the screen. If enemies' projectile move direct to you and you are not able dodge them, you can blindly fire lots of arrows to protect yourself. I hope this can help you get through the first boss.

4. TheEvilRobot

TheEvilRobot Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2013
    Great game! If you don't have it get it! :)

5. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    IF it gets GC, I'll grab it. I'd rather my first time playing it be with achievements and stuff since I typically only give games one serious play through given my backlog.

6. jameslavis

jameslavis Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2011
    Beat it, loved it. I can't say I want more story at this point as its done. A new episode sure. A skill practice area like target shooting would be sweet. Think of flick kick soccer and its skill shots

7. Snooptalian

Snooptalian Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    ^ This...

8. demod1

demod1 Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Beat this gorgeous game and am eagerly awaiting a sequel!!! You've laid the groundwork for something beautiful. Somewhat of a masterpiece. I will gladly play again with my new bow, but eventually I hope to be eagerly pressing the purchase button for the follow up. Please tell me this is the plan!

9. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    This is an easy 5 star in my book.

First off the tilt controls.

I have NEVER been a tilt control fan. That said, they work really well and suit this game perfectly.

You see, the reason I dislike the tilt control system is that I'm effectively disturbing the view of the game by almost disorienting myself from the game.

I would always say to myself "Why do I have to tilt the screen which hinders my own view and takes me completely out of the experience?" However in this game the tilt seems sensitive enough for it to not get in the way of itself - without being too sensitive where your character is all over the place.

Sure it took me a couple minutes to get in the swing of things but after this short period of time it all seemed pretty natural.

The artwork is obviously a strength as well as the animations smooth.

The gameplay is fun and never seemed to get frustrating. I particularly like that when you die, it doesn't make you start at the beginning but starts you off with full health right at the point you died in the progress bar. The game is quick to get you back running too with little delay which is quite nice.

Overall, unless you have some sort of mental block or phobia towards tilt controls, chances are you will dig these controls just as I did.

I give the game 5 stars based off the first 4 levels and in my book (just as TA rating system) 5 stars means I have no problem telling my friends to download this game and or is highly recommended. I also factor in the price ($.99) and the install size and space it requires on my very small iPhone 4 8gb real estate (11.6MB installed).

Yes the game runs perfect - even on my ancient device.

I hope this helps someone on the fence.

I would also like to say I feel great supporting a quality developer to encourage relatively cheap but solid gameplay in an App Store full of IAP in both "premium" and freemium price models.

10. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    First of all, congratulations on a stellar 4.5/5 TA review. :)

Apologies for not seeing your post earlier. :( As far as I know, it's definitely possible to edit titles when submitting updates. Since it's obviously not a situation where you're changing the actual name of the app from "A Ride Into The Mountains" to "I Like Chocolate Milk", for example :)p), but just changing the capitalization, there should obviously be no issues. ;)

11. Roleki

Roleki Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Too frustrating for me, tilt and two thumbs and too difficult!
    Cleared Limbo yesterday, and it was less frustrating.
    Shame because I love the aesthetic of "A Ride...", but its been put aside after an hour's play, hey-ho.

12. lekochen

lekochen Member

Jul 19, 2013
    Actually we have our own achievement system in game already. The reason we don't integrate it with GC is because we thought the UI in GC would damage the art style in some degree. But maybe we will integrate it in the update.

13. lekochen

lekochen Member

Jul 19, 2013
    Thanks for your suggestion, we will consider that!

14. lekochen

lekochen Member

Jul 19, 2013
    We are very happy you like our game. For the question, nope. Game development is very energy-consuming and we would like to take a little break now :D

15. lekochen

lekochen Member

Jul 19, 2013
    Thanks for your lengthy and well-written analysis of how you experienced the game. We are very happy you like it.

16. lekochen

lekochen Member

Jul 19, 2013

17. lekochen

lekochen Member

Jul 19, 2013
    Thanks for spreading the word :D

18. lekochen

lekochen Member

Jul 19, 2013
    The easiest strategy playing this game is to stick to one side of the screen and shooting. If the enemies start to fire, just move to the other side. You can dodge most of the attacks by this strategy. One more strategy is to be patient because most of the enemies won't respawn so you are able to kill them slowly. Good luck!

19. one.sixty.four

one.sixty.four Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    minnesota
    ok, i bought it. very, VERY good so far. the tilt controls work perfectly, for those still hestating to smash buy for that reason. it also work beutifully on ipad 1, which isn't something you see everyday anymore. great sound and graphics, too. plus a nice storyline. great job devs.

20. lekochen

lekochen Member

Jul 19, 2013
    Whoa, thank you so much! We're very glad you like it!