Universal A Ride into the Mountains

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by lekochen, Jul 23, 2013.

1. lekochen

lekochen Member

Jul 19, 2013
    Congrats, our first hero.

So far we don't have plan to create more chapters. We want to make it a complete experience when the game got released, just like an old game we use to play. It is not a long story, but we hope every seconds you spend in it is worth your time.

BTW, since you have finished the first playthrough, you could pick your new item and try to hunt for the achievements. Some of them are very hard to get and I wish you a good luck. :D

2. Parkingtigers

Parkingtigers Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2010
    Bought it, played it, finished it, very much enjoyed it. Looks and controls very well on iPad Mini. Lovely game from start to finish, though the English text could do with a bit of a polish. (Some small typos like "clam" instead of calm at the lake area, some clumsy grammar etc.)

One suggestion, if you feel like developing it further. Finishing the game could unlock an endless mode. Just have each screen throw in a random selection of enemies, no health regen, see how many you can get before you die. Throw in a leaderboard and boom, a reason to keep playing.

Anyway, it was totally worth a dollar, and I'm recommending it to people I know. Thanks for a fun couple of hours.

3. coderkid

coderkid Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Are those...flying swastikas?

4. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    Ok, I'll give this game a try, I am really not a huge fan of tilt control, so let's see how it feels.

5. Mark DeNardo

Mark DeNardo Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Sound Wizard
    Brooklyn, NY
    This is a solid game.

The developer made good choices regarding tilt/fire controls, balance, music, and art.

By comparison, I think there are games less interesting made with more features these days.

That said, please integrate Game Center in a future build.

Feels like The Neverending Story iOS game. Really sweet vibe.

6. lekochen

lekochen Member

Jul 19, 2013
    Yeah both of the developers are not English native speaker, so is the guy help us do the translations. He helped us correct our texts with no pay, which I feel appreciated. But it is sad that it seems there are still some errors. Next time I will try to find a native speaker to bring the player a better experience.

Thank you for telling us that you did enjoy playing our game. And thanks for your suggestion, we will consider about it.

7. lekochen

lekochen Member

Jul 19, 2013
    I'm really glad you like our game :)

For the Game Center, we think the Game Center UI would damage the whole art style in some level so we choose not to integrate it now. And since there is no ranking so far, and we have our own achievement system, I see no need of Game Center. It would be helpful if you can tell us why you want us to integrate Game Center? Thanks.

8. oldgamer dude

oldgamer dude Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2013
    Don't normaly prefer tilt controls but I'm a sucker for good pixel art and with all the glowing recommendations, awe shucks just take my dollar :)

9. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    I'd like to chime in on this. GC is a great way to share with friends your accomplishments in games. I know it's silly but I actually find this rewarding since there are points associated with achievements and those points add onto points earned in other games and it just kind of shows how serious you are about ios gaming as a whole. For highscores, it's more fun seeing friends scores and scores from other gamers than just competing with myself. I have no interest in competing with myself. Getting achievements that I can't show anyone seems kind of empty. It's like getting a high score on an arcade game back in the day but the machine is reset each night and has no backup for the data so no one will ever see what you've done or try to beat it.

GC doesn't have to change the UI. You can have your own screen for achievements and all the user will see is a bar pop on the screen when they start the game that says "Welcome Back," and their user name. Please add GC features to the game.

10. Pixelized

Pixelized Active Member

May 26, 2011
    I gave me impressions earlier in this thread, while using a IPad Mini. I feel like the normal IPad would be too big to manage, especially since with every level I found the tilt mechanics were changing. Definitely read my impressions, but as I said in them, the tilting is a major aspect of the game and if you are not going to enjoy tilting the IPad you may not enjoy it. It is not heavy tilting, but regardless, if you want to live you have to tilt.

11. sink_or_swim

sink_or_swim Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    I agree with most things nightc1 said except "getting achievements that i can't show anyone seems kind of empty"

Personally I'm not competing with anyone for achievements, it's rewarding to unlock them but I'm not looking if my friends have already unlocked a specific achievement.
    But it's totally different with scores, like you already said. It's important for many people to compete there scores with friends

12. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    I also would like to see the game centre added in a future update. An endless mode could be nice too

13. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Agreed you've got my quid as well, looking forward to trying it

14. wolfgirl

wolfgirl Member

Feb 27, 2013
    singapore
    to the developer (lekochen):

I opened the app only wanting to try it out for awhile... and was slapped with a big wave of disappointment when I saw "thank you for playing" lol :( omg it had only been like 30mins to an hour? I honestly swear that I had no idea it was a short story, so it is sadly my own fault for going into it thinking it would be longer SIGH. my bad.

anyways I want to point out that I realized, the tilting aka horseback controls were the KEY to the game, not just a set of controls but it is the tilting which made the challenges more challenging and the experience more realistic. it was the balance of the game and the most important skill to master. *gasps*

at first it made feel like breaking my ipad mini into half lol seriously it was sosososo frustrating trying to tilt and avoid the megabosses I almost pulled out all my hair :( but after getting used to it, it dawned on me that I was subconciously taunted by the game to calm down and focus on tilting my horse in order to achieve a zen-state, THEN could I succeed in focusing and hitting my targets. it was like a slap in my face, scolding me for being impatient and aggressive, and a quiet voice telling me to "be like the leaf...become the leaf..." (A:TLA reference ha)

the concept was so original that, if more brainstorming were spent on it, this could be developed even more into an epic new kind of gaming experience. I felt that the controls and story really did set a strong foundation that gives you so much more space to work with. please do consider spending some more time on it :)

(it was really extremely seriously unfortunately sadly frustratingly too short :( sorry but not sorry for being spoiled by games that are hours of fun lol)

thanks for the short but amazing experience!♡

15. oldgamer dude

oldgamer dude Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2013
    Does this game have to be played in one sitting, or are there save points? I haven't got a chance to play yet.

16. TheEvilRobot

TheEvilRobot Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2013
    There are levels. I have exited out of the app and have started on the level I left off at. So I'm guessing it has some kind of automatic save feature after you beat a level.

17. Retro Nug

Retro Nug Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    The Netherworld
    Am I the only one who got reminded of Shadows of the Colossus when they first laid eyes on the hero and horse? ^.^

18. lekochen

lekochen Member

Jul 19, 2013
    #78 lekochen, Jul 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
    So, thank you for playing! Again! lol

Just like you say, it is frustrating trying to tilt and avoid the objects at the beginning and it takes you a while to master how to achieve a zen-state. So the problem is, the period of mastering the control is very different base on the player. Some players like you will kill it easily, but there must be some players got stuck in some point for a long time. Since we design this game for a special gaming experience, we like to let most players finish the game. That is the reason we choose to revive the player every time he fail. If we make perma-death just like the old game we use to play, like Contra, the play time will extend a lot but I think a large percent of people will just quit. In summery, we want to provide the players a special gaming experience of horseback archery, not to give them a hardcore challenge.

But hey, as a hardcore gamer, I know how you feel. However, if you would like to continue playing it, you can choose to hunt for the achievement, some of them are hard to get. Try it. Or maybe in one day, when you feel overwhelming, you can pick up our game, and try to achieve the zen-state again. "be like the leaf...become the leaf..." :D

19. lekochen

lekochen Member

Jul 19, 2013
    Thank you and the others for my GC question. That is very convincing. We will definitely think about it when we patch the game.

20. Dailion

Dailion Active Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Indie developer
    Ibiza
    Look very well, i love pixel art, but tilt....