Universal A Ride into the Mountains

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by lekochen, Jul 23, 2013.

1. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Wow, if this is at all reminiscent of Forbidden Forest, then it's a must buy for me. That theme still haunts me to this day. Duh duh duh duuuuuuuuuuuuuuh!

2. BillyOceansBlues

BillyOceansBlues Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    feels kind of like that excellent hunger games mobile game. obvious differences, but many similarities.

3. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Well I played the first chapter with a boss battle, plays really great actually, like it so far.

4. oldgamer dude

oldgamer dude Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2013
    Just wondering is it possible to get better bows or upgrade the one you have? Or maybe is it possible to upgrade your character's skills?

5. Pixelized

Pixelized Active Member

May 26, 2011
    Game Impressions

I downloaded it a couple hours ago and played for a bit. I'm on the fifth level, not sure how long it is but so far it has been fun.

If you are not a fan of tilting, it doesn't mean you should count this game out. A majority of the gameplay is tilting to dodge incoming attacks, and it is essential to beating levels. If your despise tilting, I wouldn't buy it. If you are somewhat okay with tilting, consider it.

The story is interesting and adds a nice touch to justify the gameplay. I also like how your focus power/health points gets upgraded each time you complete a level to allow for harder levels as the game progresses. I also enjoyed how every level has different enemies who all have different ways to damage you. In level 4, the enemies can go invisible. In level 3, the two types of enemies are paired closely together. If you hit the explosive one you kill them both, but if you hit the other one heat-seeking like projectiles come after you.

I was expecting repetitiveness fairly quickly from this game, but the well thought out enemies, story aspect and different camera angles in each level clear the game of that.

As I said, I'm only 4 levels in and I'm not sure how long it is, but so far I'm enjoying it. Especially the boss battles, challenging, unique and fun!

6. Mirkwood

Mirkwood Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2012
    #46 Mirkwood, Jul 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
    Great look to it. I'm gonna give this a shot

Edit: really enjoying it so far :)

7. wolfgirl

wolfgirl Member

Feb 27, 2013
    singapore
    double sold thanks! XD your explanation was perfect. it's true that a gd control scheme rests heavily on how a developer finetunes it. very good gamer attitude you have there that others should learn from >: (

8. Diaboliq

Diaboliq Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2013
    Just bought, what is it with people and tilting? Tilting is usually responsive and works fine on iPhone.. Just give it a try... Support new developers!

9. lekochen

lekochen Member

Jul 19, 2013
    Aww, you just warmed my heart. The first and the most important design aspect was to make the players experience the feeling of horseback archery. It is not an easy task, but we think the players are able to master it after some practices. Glad you like it!

10. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    The only reason I haven't picked this up is I cannot imagine holding my iPad with one hand while placing my other hand on the center of the screen. I'm usually not one to mind tilt on iPad, but this does seem to be a little harder to cope with. Any iPad users give this a go?

11. lekochen

lekochen Member

Jul 19, 2013
    It is a story with an end. But if you like, there are some extra challenge awaits you after you finish the main story.

12. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Yes. You hold the iPad with both hands and use your thumbs. I had no trouble at all myself.

13. lekochen

lekochen Member

Jul 19, 2013
    In my case, I hold my iPad with both of my hands then I am able to aim / shoot use my thumbs. Since the direction of arrows was determined by the direction of how you draw, not the absolute place , you are not necessary to place your fingers on the center of the screen. You can draw a bow easily in the corner of the screen.

But since I'm the guy developed this game and I know how to play very well, you can choose not to 100% trust me;) I would also want to hear what other iPad users think.

14. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    *sigh* You have my dollar, lekochen. I seem to be very easy to convince. :p

Oh, and thanks Gabe. If you don't have a problem with it...doubt I will.

lekochen, one tiny request from one of the most annoying nitpickers in the universe (me)? :p The capitalization of the title of this thread "A Ride into the Mountains" is spot-on, but the app itself is "A Ride Into The Mountains" which...ummm...yeah, is there any way I could convince you to change the app title to how it is in the thread's title with any upcoming update? :eek:

Yeah, I'm silly like that sometimes. :p

15. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Superb game. Just a joy to look at and play. Definitely getting that Shadow of the Colossus vibe, as well as being reminded of Another World, Sword and Sworcery and yeah...even that Hunger Games iOS release. That said, this feels completely original and I don't recall playing anything like this on iOS.

The controls? I'm starting to loathe posting impressions on controls, because of two words: Sine Mora. No matter what anyone says; positive forum posts, stellar reviews, whatever..."neeyuds moar relatif centrelwz". Even though the joystick works perfectly (albeit taking some [hell, maybe a lot of] time getting used to) people are used to relative controls and even if something works, "they could at least give us the option/more options don't hurt anyone". You see where I'm going with this, right?

Yeah, the controls in A Ride (even on iPad) are perfect. Truly. Unlike a game like Freedom Fall, the controls here don't hamper the experience in any way. BUT...people don't like tilt. In the interest of everyone here, who (forgive me, you know how much I love the people on this forum) just refuses to accept something different, maybe an invisible joystick would work. I'm against it though. I truly believe you nailed the controls and would hate to see you "give in". That's up to you.

Beautiful game. Stupidly easy to recommend.

(What a week! Expander, Chillaxian and this with not a single IAP in sight, and Lums is just *drools* This is all prior to any NZ releases showing up!)

16. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Yeah, but you're wrong about the controls in Sine Mora. Right about the ones here though.

;)

17. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    *cracks knuckles* Someone hold me back...

Oh wait...where's my "Insults of Monkey Island" handbook?

18. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Played the second chapter and I must say controls work perfectly, nothing wrong here.

19. lekochen

lekochen Member

Jul 19, 2013
    You are totally right. In our design, the key to be a good horseback archer is to achieve a zen-like state. I'm so happy you point it out. It means we did something right :)

20. treasurestudio

treasurestudio Well-Known Member

Just finished my first play through. Great work guys. Really didn't want it to end. Everything works so well, the graphics, music, controls... You nailed it.

Any plans to create more chapters?