A Request for New Members

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by rIcHrAnDoM, Jan 10, 2009.

1. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    First, welcome to TouchArcade. Obviously I am just another member of this cool community and this is just my thoughts/opinion so do as you will.

TA recieves alot of attention from not only gamers, but from those who develop and distribute games as well. These devs like to hold contests, give-aways, and other promotional threads to get their games and apps exposure here on TA.

I believe that the golden rule should apply here. No one should be blatantly rude to a developer just because they "don't think this is the game for me", followed by some negative statement. If it's not your kind of game why troll the thread waiting for your chance to trash a game you've never even played?

The main reason for this thread is to ask the newbies who sign up to TA just to get in on the free promo contests to at least hold up your end of any bargain the developer asks in return for that free copy of their software. Generally as a courtesy they ask for honest feedback, and a fair review on iTunes. This takes 5 or 10 minutes to do and is a perfectly fair request by those developers. Not to mention if you like the app you have recieved reviewing it will help that dev in the long run to be able to sell more copies and implement more content, ideas etc..

We have all seen new members come out of nowhere to snatch up promo copies as soon as there is a thread created ,cool. The more the merrier, but if you think the same developers, and new ones as well, will continue to promote their apps to unappreciative jerks whose only interest is to swoop in like the wind, get their free app, and be gone with the next train smokin', well, you are stone cold WRONG.

2. pablo19

pablo19 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    there should be a PM for newbies with what you stated and also a request for them not to start threads like "game this vs. game that" or "should I get", "I have X amount of money...what should I do?" just as a warning that those threads are not very welcome by the rest of the community. They usually aren't anyways;)

P.S: Doing this in the lounge won't help, post it in the "site feedback" section. Newbies won't usually look at the lounge IMO

3. rIcHrAnDoM

Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Thanks, not sure how to move it though.

4. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    I agree. The developers are being very generous and kind and giving out promo codes, and all they ask for is you to play a game (!) and then spend 5 minutes of your time, tops, giving them some feedback. All it has to be is a, "I like your game, but the fonts are a little weird", or alerting them to some problem where the game may freeze or glitch or have some other hiccup. People who don't post feedback are hurting the developer and other people on this site who would post helpful feedback and hopefully enjoy the game as well. It's such a simple task, please just respect the developers and help them out.

Nowires, a developer, was so disappointed when he only got a 30% consensus on his game. he did a nice thing giving out some free promo codes for his game and a mere 4 or 5 people out of the 18 or so gave him feedback. All he wanted to do was make his game better, he was trying to improve his game!, and people just don't care...:(

5. rIcHrAnDoM

Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    @tennisking1o1, that's exactly right. Not only is it unfair to the developers and other gameplayers, the reputation of Toucharcade is being negatively affected. Most of us here are respectful of a "good" thing, but a few new members I have observed recently have responded like savages, seriously.

6. pablo19

Oct 26, 2008
    Well it really is hard to put yourself in the devs position. But once you start to observe threads like "mommy where do apps come from?" and devs talking about their games you realize how much work and effort was really put into the games. Of course if your a newbie you usually still haven't figured those things out.

7. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    qft...

8. pablo19

Oct 26, 2008
    what does that mean?

EDIT: nvm "quoted for truth" means he agrees with me. Sorry for my unnecessary post.

9. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Heh, it's ok we still friends... :D

10. rIcHrAnDoM

Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    #10 rIcHrAnDoM, Jan 10, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
    Agreed pablo19. Also the thread by jonaswills of TeamPhobic gives a good look at the behind the scenes element. These guys really care to put out a quality product. Are they doing it for $$$? Sure but you can really see some of the devs who are dedicated to a higher standard and I think these devs deserve more than just $, but also recognition and respect from their customer base.

11. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    Completly agree here. Glad arn made the rule that asking for promo codes will result in getting banned.

But I think this site should give the users more power. Like people complain about should I get this game or that one threads. Well if we could delete our own threads these threads would last an hour each problably. Also; I want to be able to delete my own posts. Trust me; sometimes u say something then wish u had not.

12. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Not everyone hates the X vs Y topics. (I don't. But then again, I believe in democracy so if 50+% wants them to be gone I'll be OK with it)

Deleting my own posts would be nice, but it would also mess up the conversation for anyone else reading a topic and seeing replies to a post that has been deleted by the poster.
    What WOULD work, is being able to delete a post if nobody else has seen the post yet. This is similar to the "Edited at... by..." line that doesn't appear if you edit your post before someone sees it, but will appear when someone has seen your unedited post.

Anyway, re: new members getting promo codes without reviewing the game: most of them won't change because of a topic like this, they just see the oppertunity to get a free game without paying for it and nobody to force them into writing a review. It's comparable to piracy, since you're using an app without paying the price (money or service) that the developer asked for it.

13. rIcHrAnDoM

Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    @spmwinkel; yeah, I'm not expecting this thread to change anyones actions. I am hoping that a few people might read this and actually see karma in action. ie.. the cycle of being greedy and chaotic now, in the end will bite you in the ass!

Thanks for reading/commenting.:D

14. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    That's true, even if 95% doesn't change their action, your post was worth the effort if a few people change do change their actions. :)