A Question for All the Go Players

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by polyplay, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Maeks

Maeks Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Thank you very much! I'll have to check those out later (as I have class now...:mad:)

It seems kind of difficult to get into this game compared to, say, Chess. It almost seems as if you have to go out and physically find someone and get them to teach you the game with a physical board,e tc. At least based on what I've read. And that is no easy feat......

2. polyplay

polyplay Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Minnesota
    Well, it's not necessarily more difficult to get into than Chess, but it's certainly different. A major initial problem is that the locus of the game's popularity is in East Asia, while Chess' is in the West. But just keep practicing the problems, reading the Sensei articles, and playing games against the AI and it'll get a little less daunting. :)

3. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
  4. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    Oh well, the developer even do not care to response till to date. US$0.99 well spent!

5. polyplay

Aug 13, 2008
    Minnesota
    Yikes. That's really not good, from a customer service perspective. I don't think I've ever had to wait that long for a dev reply to an email.

6. polyplay

Aug 13, 2008
    Minnesota
    Sorry to double-post, but I don't think I'm going to get this new game that showed up. It looks like it has no more features than iGo, which I already have. It's just too much money for me to test something that would likely be a carbon copy of an app I already have.

7. dboeren

dboeren Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    weiqi just went on sale for 99 cents, has anyone tried it yet? How does it compare with iGo for 2.99?

8. I can just compare it with Go Go which even had an update last nite and still has pan/zoom problems which it reportedly corrected. Go Weiqi is freaking awesome no wonder it was $4. You can do 9x9, 13x13, 19x19. No zoom is needed either. You drag from the pot your black stone and the stone is about an inch above your finger so it's easy to see at all times. Also I was wondering how you can precisely place it on the 19x19 board and you can since movement is like on grid points. You can set komi 0 to 10 and set handicap from 0 to 9. You can pass, undo move, resign. Have iphone play against itself, play cpu or play two humans. Finally I didn't get burned for a $1.

9. Go Weiqi is free for 2 days. I'd say this is one of the best Go games with a great interface. If you have any interest in Go then get this game.

10. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    Here comes another one...

Simply called "Go" by Robota Software. It claimes to be based on GNU Go 1.14 and I have played 2 casual 9x9 games and looks like to me the engine is very strong (beaten up very quickly at level 0). The UI, I think it is unique so far, solves the problem of placing your move on a 19x19 board by actually putting down the co-ordinates. It is free, btw.

Product page:
    http://www.robota.nl/products/GNU%20Go%20for%20the%20iPhone.html

11. GNU Go is not too bad but not too great either. Suffers from same zoom problem as iGo (think that was it). Good for a free one to play 9x9 and if you don't mind making a few mistakes in 13x13 every now and then (assuming your not zoomed at all and try to hit the correct placement) and pressing undo it's duable though I'd imagine that'd get frustating. 19x19 you have to zoom and it's horrific trying to pan the screen. Go weiqei goes free every now and then so snag that when/if you have the chance doesn't have these issues.

12. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Go weickie is currently free, I would check that one out just because it's free...

13. I pitted Aya Go set strength of AI set to 11 (1 to 11 with 11 highest) and Weiqei only has 1 AI setting.

I gave up after 2 hour game got too freaking tired. Anyway as you can see from screenshots (Aya Go black was kicking Go Weiqi white butt). Around move 110 or so Weiqei took about 25 to 30 seconds per move and Aya Go finished it in 10 seconds so very impressive.

Anyway for serious Go players I can't imagine them not having Aya Go and SmartGo (problem solving is nice although no explanation is given or commentary like some of the Japanese Nintendo DS games have so really only for ones who know Go well).

Attached Files:

14. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    +1 mrbass

I've played most of the english language Go games on the iPhone and Aya Go is, by far, the best. The AI is far superior to anything out there, as of this writing. After getting smoked on my first game against Aya, I deleted Go (Weiqi) immediately. The drag from the bowl interface in Go (Weiqi) was really nice, thematically, and very functional, due to the stone placement above you finger, but it just can't compete in the AI arena. SmartGo is still on my iPhone, of course, because the puzzles it offers are nice, but if you had to get only one, Aya is the way to go...

God, I hate myself for saying that.

15. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
  16. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
  17. Stoney Mason

Stoney Mason Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    I didn't realize that Aya Go game was out. Looks awesome. I'll pick that up tomorrow. It's also great that Smartgo is now out for the iphone although I wish it gave the option for a 19x19 board.

18. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
  19. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

Go AI is extremely hard to program. If that Shredder Chess program is already $9.99, I would expect a competent single player Go game for iPhone to be at least $19.99. I totally forgot about Go until I saw this thread, I'm a fan of Go too.

20. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    Just when I thought GNU Go is strong enough... :rolleyes:

Have you got Aya Go too? If so, what do you think?

Thanks.