A new FPS/TPS control scheme idea!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Haephestos, May 28, 2009.

1. Haephestos

Haephestos Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2008
    I thought up this control scheme for 1st/3rd person shooters.
    As many games use, there would be two onscreen joysticks, but, instead of an onscreen button for fire, it might be possible to remap the volume buttons to primary and secondary fire/action. I am not sure if there is an API for the volume buttons in the SDK, and I was hoping this might be one of the new ones in 3.0.
    Unfortunately, this leaves out support for 1st gen iPod touch users, who could have a 'jerk to fire' option where they slightly flick the device.

2. dmbfan1192

dmbfan1192 Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2009
    That would be really awkward to hold and frustrating to use considering the volume buttons are impossible to press...

3. Haephestos

Oct 25, 2008
    I find them very easy to press when I am holding the device horizontal with the volume buttons on top (I use my index finger).

4. Slayer_megadeth

Slayer_megadeth Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Student
    India
    It is as bizzare as, someone long back suggested to use the home button as an actual button in the game.

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Actually, that's not a bad idea at all, if the 3.0 SD allow peope to remap the volume buttons-- a big if.

6. SparkyBlue

SparkyBlue Well-Known Member

May 26, 2009
    Still at school
    Bonnie old Scotland
    I just want to say this but for those using a iPod 2gen might find this a bit awkward. For me I like to play with the volume controls on the bottom because if I play with them on the top, the earphone plug tends to get in my way when playing.

7. jmarquiso

jmarquiso Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Or any ipod touch - we don't exactly have volume buttons.

8. SparkyBlue

SparkyBlue Well-Known Member

May 26, 2009
    Still at school
    Bonnie old Scotland
    2 gen does

9. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
  10. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    There isn't an API for repurposing the volume buttons but it's don't on jailbroken apps a lot. QuickReply runs a text program within the springboard. Tap volume up and a window appears on top of whatever is running so you can text. Tapping volume down closes it. That hardly matters now though.

The 3.0 firmware allows 3rd party peripherals to plug into the data port and actively control something on screen.

What I want to see is a case that I put my iphone into and it has a dpad on the left 4 buttons on the right and a shoulder trigger on each side.

Any company that also adds a battery pack into the case will win my money

11. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    I like having dedicated buttons. I mean, take the home button for example. Say the dev gets the programming screwed up for it and can't get it to revert back to its primary function. The only way we can exit the game is by shutting it off.

As for volume buttons, they're designed to be difficult to press so that the sound doesn't bounce up and down while the iPod's in our pockets. Using it for gameplay, not that great an idea.

And shouldn't this be in the lounge?

12. supg328911

supg328911 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    pro ping pong player!!!!
    USA BABY
    so basically what your saying is you want a game boy advance with better graphics.

13. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    I don't like the idea of using the volume buttons in games, the ones on the 2gen touch are kind of hard to press and can actually hurt my fingers with their angular-ness. If I had to push them 9000 times during a FPS game I might just cry. I'd prefer that games just focus on using the touch screen, for the most part I think devs are doing a pretty good job with the schemes they've come up with so far. But I wouldn't be opposed to an add-on type thing with buttons for certain games that really need it. I think that's going to come eventually, too.

14. Haephestos

Oct 25, 2008
    VegantTnT? Are you talking about the 3.0 SDK, or the current SDK?