A Matter of Life and Death

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by The Bat Outta Hell, Sep 1, 2010.

1. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    iTunes has ****ed me over yet again, and I require assistance from those wiser than me, or else I'll have to delete all my apps. For the fifth and final time.

Problem

The last time I synced my iPod was back in July (which was to restore from a previous backup because of yet another fatal glitch), and today I tried to sync it again to put all my music back on.

Instead of the usual list of apps, music, and space left shown on iTunes, I get this below.

I have no clue why it's doing this, since my iPod isn't new at all. I want to know whether or not setting up as a new iPod will reset everything like it was new, or make it work normally.

Attached Files:

2. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    It will erase everything back to out of the box stock.

3. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    They've done it before and they can do it again mate

4. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Jailbreak it. Save your appdata. Transfer those save files to PC. Restore from backup/set as new one. Jailbreak again. Load app data back to ipod.

5. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    Any suggestions how to completely avoid restoring? The process always takes like 15 ****ing hours for me, and I was planning on having this done in a half an hour.

6. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    I had a problem back a few weeks ago, my iphone went into recovery mode
    and told me I had to restore the phone to use it again. I wasn't sure if it would erase everything or not but I had to do it. Then I just pressed restore from backup and synced and got everything from my last backup. It wasn't that big of a deal as I thought it would be at first.

Also, I had a problem where my phone kept crashing a few months ago, I returned the phone to Apple and got a new one in exchange, restored from backup to load up the new one and the new phone started crashing all the time the same way. Since I couldn't figure out which app on my device was causing the software bug I suspected was the reason for causing problems with my phone, I uninstalled all but 5-10 apps with important saves from my phone and then deleted every other one from my comp, and downloaded each one of them all over again, then reinstalled to the phone. It took like an entire day to redownload over 600 apps again(listed apps in Purchase History) but it was worth it, my phone hasn't crashed since(3 months ago).

I'm not sure what the problem is with your phone but if you tried the things I just mentioned it might help, but again I don't know what your devices problem is for sure. If the problem is because of a bug, its probably one of your apps on your phone causing it. (Keep in mind you can redownload all apps/games for free, but I don't think you can redownload movies/songs again for free.

7. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    From my own experience, restoring it as new doesn't guarantee that the problem will be fixed. It isn't easy to pinpoint what the cause is. It could be an app, or just something wrong with the hardware. If you want to find out what the problem is, there's no short way to do it...