iPad A developer moans...

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Paul@Tag, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Paul@Tag

Paul@Tag Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Scotland, UK
    #1 Paul@Tag, Nov 23, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
    Just to show its not the gamers that get to groan here's one from a developer...

So we launch our new game All Stars Darts onto the App Store and it does real well in the first couple of days going top 30 in many European App Stores and top 75 in the US. The game hasn't cost a fortune to make but we plan to use any profits to add new features such as a tournament mode, new game rules and perhaps even online multi-player if we think people want it.

All good? Well almost. It occurs to me that next to having a great game and great visibility the next most important factor is those first two or three reviews. All good in the UK and US where we have 5 reviews all at 5 stars but hang on what's this? The first review in France is some guy who has given one star and has left a review of less than ten words saying the game should be free!

Well excuse me Mr Frenchman but no developer (even the home based guys) are charities. It takes a hell of an effort to make a game, and in some ways the simple ones can often be harder than the more complex ones. The game is only a dollar after all!!!

Bottom line - iPhone gamers are spoilt for choice and right now are getting massive value for money. I've played darts games that don't come close to the playability and production values of All Stars Darts retailing for $35 on DS, $10 on mobile and even more on console! Don't let greed take over. If gamers demand free games then thats what you'll get - but don't expect any quality!

I know I'm preaching to the converted here but just wanted to let off steam...

2. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Why are u posting here mr. Paul? I don't see no Frenchmen here...

3. parranoya

parranoya Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2008
    The thing I get paid for
    CANADIA
    hmm the french

Take what comes from france with a grain of salt. The french people dont even like the french. The love their cheese with lots of whine.

4. Mahaa93

Mahaa93 Well-Known Member

So what's the problem here??

5. Obiter

Obiter Active Member

Nov 23, 2008
    medical research into the mind of today's gamer
    high above the din
    You should invite the reviewer to send you more "input" on what he didn't like, then post his stupid and misinformed rant on your website. :)

6. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    That must be frustrating, It is a great game and deff doesn't deserve 1 star...

7. pablo19

pablo19 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    hmm

racist much? hope ur not american :p JK

8. mek

mek Well-Known Member

how do you depise anyway?

9. Killquake

Killquake Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Must be a French word or something? haha :D

10. CloneWars

CloneWars Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Bank Robber
    Atlantic Ocean
    Hahahaha
    One bad review isn't going to ruin your game

11. it's something that happens when the S key sticks on your keyboard

: P

12. it looks like that guy's review has been removed

13. mek

mek Well-Known Member

haha, yeah i figured...
    its always good to have a good laugh about the situation though

14. thom-22

thom-22 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    San Diego
    You're absolutely right, and I say that as a user only. I know I've gotten value well above what I've actually paid for app store games. I've never complained about a game price and have bought 4 games, I think, at the top $10 price. But there's not much we users can do about this situation. Hopefully it sorts itself out sooner rather than later, for both users' and devs' sakes.

Sorry to hear about the bad French review, hopefully it won't hurt sales too much. I have seen similar things on the US app store, reviews saying a game should be free, and I'm sorry for the dev when those kinds of reviews skew their overall score. I often click the "Report" button on reviews that say nothing about the game but whine about the price.

Good luck, Paul. Try not to let one bad review get you down.

15. Paul@Tag

Paul@Tag Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Scotland, UK
    Nah the review is still there...

"Nul!!!!" by Manu 31600
    Devrait ĂȘtre gratuit, et non payant!!!

Frustrating after working so hard on something but unlikely to affect our sales too badly. Guess thats the trouble with an open platform and individual democracy anyone who pays for your content has the right to voice their opinion no matter how daft...

Ok in the long run when you can't argue with a large majority of comments but early on it can be very damaging!!

Anyway for those of you interested we will be launching a Christmas version of our hit puzzle/action game Rock'n'Roll this week... it features a special guest appearance by forum regulars Trent and Armbruster! In the spirit of Christmas we are going to give the game away free - our early present to all our new iPhone gaming friends.

I'll post up here once I have a release date.

P

16. Armbruster

Armbruster Well-Known Member

There's only Italian people here.

17. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    If you're serious about adding online gameplay, I'll recommend this game to everyone I know and probably make a review for it. Hopefully, that counts for something. :)

18. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I looked at your app in the US AppArore and you've got a different problem there. In the listings it's showing up as 3 stars. I look at the reviews and there are three reviews, all of which give it 5 stars. What? The AppStore is still so completely broken.

19. eeenmachine

eeenmachine Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Independent Game Developer
    San Diego, CA