iPad A Developer Asking The Gamers

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by MetaNick, Jan 22, 2009.

1. MetaNick

MetaNick Well-Known Member

So as some of you know my company released Juggler last weekend and we submitted a new game called Flip 3 (link redirects to a YouTube video) earlier today. Both are $0.99 games that we feel are fun and simple little games. We don't think we're blowing minds with these two games, but we do think that they are worth the admission price if you like these styles of games.

One thing I've been told though is that I could help Juggler sales by releasing a Lite version. So that's what I'm thinking about doing. However with a game like that I'm not sure how one can make a Lite version that's worth playing yet keep the player wanting more. So let me run my idea by you guys and, if you'd be so kind, let me know what you think or share your ideas for how I can make a Lite version that doesn't make the full version worthless.

The two main things in Juggler are the online leaderboards and the ability to customize the playing experience. So what I was thinking for the Lite version is disable the online leaderboard submission (but let the user still view the leaderboard) and lock the player at 4 balls with smiley faces. In my mind this lets the user experience the game for free and then, if they enjoy it, they can buy the full thing.

However, I'm worried that players will just accept the shortcomings and keep the free version instead of converting to the full version. This obviously isn't good for me, but it also isn't as fun for everyone because the more people competing for the Top 50 leaderboard, the more fun people can have.

So what do you guys think? Does this sound like a successful Lite version? Or is there a better way to make a Lite version? Or is this sort of game just not able to be turned into a Lite version?

Thanks for any answers or thoughts. I'm really trying to make sure I can make games people want to buy and provide them with the ability to know before they spend their money that they will enjoy the game. So even if not for Juggler, for my future games I appreciate all the feedback I can get.

2. BulletDev

BulletDev Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    produce applications under "Bullet Development"
    Vancouver, BC
    After reading your thread, I decided to buy your game and love it! I think rhe ideas you have for a Lite version make sense, but you are also right about people not wanting the full version. To solve this, you could include a few short ads in the Lite version, so you still earn a small amount of profit off the free game, and encourage users to get rid of the ads by buying the full version.

This is what I plan to do with my game. (Check out the website! It doesn't look ugly anymore!)

3. spamboy

spamboy Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2008
    You could add ads, that usually gets users to buy the games. Just don't make them too obtrusive, or nobody will get the lite version OR the paid version.

I'm also thinking keep three balls instead of four, because four could become a challenging game, and that's what (personally) has me addicted - something challenging, but not horrifically hard. Keeping the number of balls at three means I would get bored with the game faster, but still experience enough of the game to either buy it or dump it.

Just my 2 cents. Hopes it helps!

4. BulletDev

Sep 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    OR - you could add new features to the full version in addition to the ideas above. This way the full version is more appealing over the Lite.

5. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2008
    Whatever you decide to do, do not disable any portion of the Lite version, or Apple will reject you. No disabled buttons, etc. It needs to be a complete game.

6. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    Perhaps release the full version for free for a little while, then people will review and recommend it. Go ahead with a lite version!

7. MetaNick

What if I leave all the options enabled, so they all work, but then simply inform the user (via the alert pop up) that the settings won't be saved in the Lite version? Will that result in a rejection?

8. RedStaR

RedStaR Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    any of the above mentioned would be great, you should do them all

9. RedStaR

Jan 7, 2009
    not as long as per-customers have a way of being made aware before they hit install or download.

If they don't choose to read info about the app they are buying on the INFO page then buyer beware.

an alert pop-up might not work because theres no way for them to "not want" that after they purchased otherwise non-refundable software.

10. MetaNick

Well the alert would be in the free Lite version so it's non-refundable, but it didn't cost any money. The $0.99 version would have everything enabled just like it is.

11. J.R. Jalapeno

J.R. Jalapeno Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2008
    with verizon, i can download trial versions of games that give you a 5 minute time limit.

so maybe that's a good way to do it. give people 10 minutes to play and then it says "to purchase the full version, click here"

12. RedStaR

Jan 7, 2009
    #12 RedStaR, Jan 22, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2009

Yes but it's a common misconception of that free only pretains to money. no it doesn't have a cash value but it is still non-refundable. you can't remove it from your purchase history at anytime, and its just that a "free" purchase. so would the only way to be able to see the pop-up be if you have the lite version?

cause if so you might want more disclosure without having to have the lite version.

I know thats a little anal......but it's true

and I'm not saying you don't have a point....you do. it's just the facts of the matter is all

however your idea(s) are good and I look forward to your development.

13. BulletDev

Sep 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Believe me, what you need to do is create the Lite version with only a limited "Play" button, nothing else. In the game's description, list the featured available in the full version.

BTW - Do you think any Lite version of a decent game is bound to make the Top 100? Such as my upcoming game Bullet Skater (better than decent!).

14. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    There could be a trial period as in shareware games!

15. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Suggestion: one minute (or less or more) play then a form telling about the full version advantages.

16. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    It's very possible to reach that peak like iShoot did. All it is is Scorched Earth!

17. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2008
    The problem is getting it through Apple's approval process. They don't allow demos, so you need your Lite version to feel like a real game. It's okay to advertise the full version in the game, but if you're planning to nag them every five minutes, Apple could possibly reject you. Unfortunately, there's no published rules on this, so we only find out when somebody crosses the line.

18. PlayScreen

PlayScreen Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2009
    Not allowed by Apple.

19. jupiter21

jupiter21 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    problems is, the game juggler itself doesnt have a huge array of features, so i would possibly work on an update to it first, and then release a free version once the paid version has some more features.

20. MetaNick

That's what I was thinking as well. Juggler isn't feature packed nor does it have levels like some games can use as a limiting factor.

Sadly my older brother (our artist) has decided to take a personal leave from game making for now. We had planned on releasing an update with at least one more ball type and were talking about more backgrounds. But it seems that will be on hold for now.

As a side note, if you know of any 2D artists and/or game designers (with portfolios or some work to show), have them contact me: nick@metacreaturegames.com. Bonus points for living in the Seattle area. :)