A deeper look at the EDGE trademark dispute

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by dudehuge, May 29, 2009.

1. Link6746

Link6746 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Berserker (RAAAAARRRGH!)
    Saint Joseph's Hospital, Mental Ward (Long Term Gu
    #81 Link6746, Aug 31, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
    so you mean that...

This A**hole actually gained rights to the word "edge", sued an iphone developer when they used it for one of their games (as a name)... and then when they tried to change it's name to "edgy", he acquired the rights to that word as well. I wish somebody would gut him like a pig, Juarez Style.

2. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009

...yeah ok I can go with that.

3. Unfortunately his resignation doesn't change anything other than that he won't be stinking up the IGDA board room. He's still pressing on with his dispute over the Edge trademark. This is a victory of sorts, granted, but a minor one that ultimately doesn't change anything. Now, if he can have his ass served to him on a bed of lettuce and a glaze of fail sauce over the trademark dispute, then there will be something to really celebrate.

4. Brazilian Rider

Brazilian Rider Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Ahh, but hopefully this victory will give our men enough motivation to go, fight, and conquer!

Rise men before the hard times ahead. This is our moment. This is your moment! The world stands behind us with baited breath, in awe of our magnificent courage. You are strong. You are courageous. You are gamers!

I think I should write speeches :)

5. Hey, if it can provide some motivation, so much the better. However, his resignation was more on the order of a personal victory. This trademark dispute will be a legal one, with much more clear cut rules. There lies the real battle, and I hope Tim gets a few mudholes stomped in his ass from it.

6. yas

yas Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Rōnin developer
  7. HJJ

HJJ Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Dr.????
    : (

8. yas

yas Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Rōnin developer
    He has a PhD in Psychology. Read his bio (before it gets taken down).

http://www.igda.org/board/

9. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    Oh, come on... Langdell's not all THAT bad. He was just excited about the possibilities of this fast-growing new platform, and wanted to be a part of it. Rather than come up with a new idea and do the work of making his own game, he simply decided he wanted to add his company to the credits of an acclaimed and innovative game he had nothing to do with. And wanted a share of their future income. And a share of their PAST income. And wanted that share EVEN if Edge caved in and changed the name as he requested. And wanted to interfere with them changing the name as requested too!

It's no worse than when you decide you want to become an artist, so you mug an artist on the street, leave him in a gutter, take his credit card, then go to his home and add your signature to his paintings, then steal his car, drive back to where you left him, and run him over. Haven't we all done that from time to time? :eek:

10. Hey, hey. I never went back to run him over. I did have a go at his lonely and ignored wife though. And I kicked his dog, so I guess it kind of evens out. But I mean the guy's card was already maxed, can you blame me?

11. Camzy

Camzy Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    QFT.

Very, very funny, and it also sums up exactly what Langdell is really up to. It's despicable.

12. DirkRugged

DirkRugged Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Games Designer
    At the moment Calgary AB, Canada
    LOL that's awesome