A deeper look at the EDGE trademark dispute

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by dudehuge, May 29, 2009.

1. florendas

florendas Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
  2. qasim

qasim Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    USA
    wow what the frick. i feel so bad

3. worldcup1100

worldcup1100 Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2009
  4. HA!

"Under Section 5(2)(b) the Hearing Officer had to consider the clash between the opponents’ EDGE marks, and the applicants’ marks SOULEDGE. The applicants goods in Classes 9 and 28 were the same as or similar to the opponents’ goods in Class 9, he decided. The marks were not similar, he thought, but he went on to consider the distinctive character of the opponents’ mark and its reputation. Having done so he decided that there was no likelihood of confusion. The Section 5(2)(b) ground failed accordingly."

Suck it, Langdell.

Now, this isn't necessarily good news for MobiGames. The character and reputation of the supposedly clashing marks was the primary reason for having the opposition dismissed, in this case because Namco is a heavyweight whose reputation precedes them. Their reputation, and that of the mark in question, are distinctive and well-known enough that there is not likely to be any confusion between the two, as it has established itself well enough that it has earned its distinction.

MobiGames is on shakier ground, being A) not as well-established, thus B) not having the same degree of reputation because C) neither MobiGames nor Edge have been around long enough to establish themselves to a degree that removes any potential for confusion. Furthermore, the Mobi's Edge mark is not as distinctive as Namco's Soul Edge, being that it is merely the one word, which is very similar to Langdell's The Edge.

There's one thing that this decision does do though, and that is show that Langdell's "dilligent" policing of his mark can and will fall flat on its face if he ventures too far afield with it. So far he's relied on others just settling without challenging the opposition, which is as much as an admission of guilt. (This isn't a legal proceeding, though, so maybe that's a poor analogy, but my point should be clear.) Namco stood up for themselves though, and Langdell was told to knock it off, so that's something anyway. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's precedent-setting, but it does provide some proof that he can be put in his place.

5. Mothlight

Mothlight New Member

Jul 13, 2009
    I didn't feel comfortable creating a new post to advertise a news piece on another iPhone-related site, but we've posted an update on the Edge situation, which is probably more dire than most had believed.

6. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    oh dear me

7. monkeys37

monkeys37 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2009
    Austin, TX
    If ever anyone needed to die in a fire...

8. ENERTRON

ENERTRON Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    it would be hilarious if some old oil tycoon would show up with a pre-existing copyright for the words "tim langdell" and sue his ass for existing

9. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

That would be reeeeeally funny! :p
    But verry unlikely. :(

10. McJaws

McJaws Active Member

Jun 23, 2009
  11. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

12. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    Not seeing it yet (US) but I'll keep checking--and this time I'm buying!

13. McJaws

McJaws Active Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Ahhh true i got it in Canada, last i heard and understood it was removed completely

14. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
  15. Brazilian Rider

Brazilian Rider Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
  16. HardcoreEricXXX

HardcoreEricXXX Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
  17. HardcoreEricXXX

HardcoreEricXXX Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    That's some nice grassroots politicking right there.

18. upsidedown

upsidedown Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    #79 upsidedown, Aug 31, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
    Yeah its awesome, isn't it!

19. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Werd. Now let's take his family!