Universal A Dark Room (by Amirali Rajan)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Nov 22, 2013.

1. At least you understand. It's like sky diving in the app store. Once you take the plunge ain't no turning back. One star reviews are accurate for this game :) Same as the people who love it and give it 5 stars :):):):):) I cannot fathom why people love it but that's what makes the world go round. Congrats on the success. I redownloaded it and gave it a chance before giving my review. I gave it 45 minutes and then I realized it's repetitive. Don't spend my 20 cents all in one place :cool:

2. amirrajan

amirrajan Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Software Developer
    Dallas, Tx
    Thanks for giving it another shot. Again, no hard feelings what so ever. I completely respect that you don't like it. And I am in shock as to how it even made it this far in the App Store. I definitely felt it could have been the #1 RPG. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think it'd get where it is today.

3. g0omba

g0omba Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2012
    I'm liking it. Repetitive but i am enjoying it.

4. adm1nmikew

adm1nmikew New Member

Apr 14, 2014
    Thanks

I really liked the game, well worth .99 in my opinion. Reminded me of many hours playing MUDs with ASCII maps.:)

5. Ben!

Ben! Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Great game. I'm happy it's doing so well.

Minor spoilers (just discussing the mechanics)
    I love how the whole thing fits the iOS 7 aesthetic. This could've been done in a much less polished way but I appreciate that it wasn't

6. isana

isana Member

Nov 20, 2013
    Bum mode
    Looks intriguing. Getting this once the backlog empties up a bit. Congrats to the dev for your success. :)

7. amirrajan

Jan 14, 2014
    Software Developer
    Dallas, Tx
    Thank you :) Hope you enjoy the game.

8. repapermunky

repapermunky Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Can someone explain to me why this has suddenly jumped to the top of the app charts, after all this time of being on the AppStore? I got this such a long time ago for free, and now it's a huge hit, out of nowhere mind you, and now it's #1 on the AppStore? What provoked this?

9. amirrajan

Jan 14, 2014
    Software Developer
    Dallas, Tx
    From what I've gathered so far. It seems that a lot of the original media coverage I got was predominantly in the United Kingdom. After a few months, it went viral in the UK, which some how got enough attention to make it go viral in the US. But I'm only speculating at this point (that's a nice way of saying I have no freaking idea why) :p

10. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    Geez... the game really raced to the top now. Deserved, the dev must be "swimming in money" right now. Glad that this game, so full of personality and meaning, went up so high. This game is the best example for "gameplay over graphics".

If I may ask: at this spot in the Charts, how many copies are sold every day?

But I assume that the short "free" campaign also did a lot for the current success.

11. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Vovin makes excellent points that it's refreshing to see such an experimental game with minimal graphics do so incredibly well. A Dark Room really caters well to the ergomonics of smart phone gaming and play at your pace but challenging content. Hopefully we see more of this - when will the A Dark Room clones start?

12. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    I haven't played the browser version. Specifically, what narrative aspects were unique to the iOS version?

13. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #93 Vovin, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014

Haha, thanks!
    I also wrote that in the sale thread:

"Everybody with only the slightest sense for unusual games should own this.
    It's surprising and has actually more story than a ton of other games."

I love the movie that runs in my head when playing that game. That's the key to more enjoyment: visualize the game. Let it run in your head. I always see myself hurrying back to the starving, dying fire, a bearded man in ragged clothes. Then my village grows, people build huts... at night, yellow eyes stare out of the forest's darkness at my little village. Then it's time to move out and explore, so I gather the things I need the most and sneak through the landscape.
    It's all about your mind. Let your imagination play the game. It's a bloody brilliant experience.

14. amirrajan

Jan 14, 2014
    Software Developer
    Dallas, Tx
    I've kept a developer log of everything I've been through with regards to building and promoting the game if you're interested in reading (it's long): http://amirrajan.net/a-dark-room/#adarkroomstory

15. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

What a great read, thanks for taking the time to maintain such a detailed devlog

Seriously, congrats. I've seen too many talented devs close or never get the success they deserve. So for this haunting text adventure experience to be such a success, it's just great to see.

16. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    Wow. Just found this in the dev's block. How kind. :)

17. emersonxsu

emersonxsu New Member

Apr 28, 2014
    First, great game on iOS~~~but I have finished the game for the 3rd time without building any huts, however, the ending is the same (driving the spaceship up to universe). The only difference is that some words were changed a little bit. Why? I thought the alternate ending should be more different.
    And during the 3rd game try, some words jumped out when I was dead for the first time. Is this the reason I missed the alternate ending(we can't die??)???

18. What's next Mr. Moneybags? How about a non text game. Lol

19. v6horse

v6horse New Member

Apr 30, 2014
    Finished the game twice with no huts and the ending isn't changing. What next?

20. Spookyfish

Spookyfish New Member

May 4, 2014
    Game Impressions

At first surprising, slow build, then a giant sucking sound as I was drawn into this minimalist mysterious world. The hold was strong enough that I was disappointed to leave the world after my game was over 5 hours later. I may yet play it again. The genius is in the minimalist user interface. I've never seen anything like it before.

Thank you for the time and care you put in to this.