Universal A Dark Room (by Amirali Rajan)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Nov 22, 2013.

1. amirrajan

amirrajan Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Software Developer
    Dallas, Tx
    Version 1.4 of the game just released.

I added a bit more storyline to the end of the game. Puts a nice little bow on everything. Hope you like.

2. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    This just shot up to #10 on the US paid charts.

3. #63 markymarkanddafunkybunch, Apr 9, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
    Horrible layout. I'm bored 20 seconds in. Deletion is eminent.

Edit: Deleted. I wasn't expecting this. A dark room should be called a white screen with shotty narration and abysmal navigation plot lines. Save your bean.

4. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Awesome. This game deserves the attention. I love how it slowly reveals its depth and mechanics and I found the poetic narrative quite compelling

How far did you get? Did you play any of the town and resource management, craft any items?
    Seems like it's just not your kind of game

5. LousyHero

LousyHero Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Wow number 6 on the us paid charts. What the hell happened? Anyway congrats to the dev, this game deserves the recognition.

6. amirrajan

Jan 14, 2014
    Software Developer
    Dallas, Tx
    Thanks LousyHero for the kind words. It's definitely been a long hard journey. I've cataloged everything that's happened with regards to the game and how it made it to the top of the App Store.

The short version: It went viral in the United Kingdom 10 days ago and it seems to have carried over to the United States. With that success, I've gotten a lot of vicious 1 star reviews calling the game a scam, and false claims that I'm a con artist. O_O

The long version is here: http://amirrajan.net/a-dark-room/#minecraft

Yes, I am the creator of A Dark Room iOS. ;)

7. "I don't get it." -tom hanks in Big. What's fun about this?

8. amirrajan

Jan 14, 2014
    Software Developer
    Dallas, Tx
    It's not for everyone. And it'll ruin the experience if I say anything substantial about it. Most people are usually confused for the 15 to 30 minutes before things start clicking.

9. Bronxsta

The game starts as a simple text adventure, but becomes so much more. The poetic prose creates an eerie engrossing atmosphere IMO

10. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    What caused it to go viral in the UK?

11. amirrajan

Jan 14, 2014
    Software Developer
    Dallas, Tx
    No freaking idea O_O. I've been trying to connect the dots but nothing adds up. It just... happened.

12. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    That's weird. Did Yogscast on YouTube play it or something? I remember Pewdiepie playing Backflip Madness made it shoot up the charts

13. Bronxsta

#73 Bronxsta, Apr 10, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
    Doesn't seem like the kind of game that would make an enjoyable Let's Play video

14. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Haha, fair enough

15. Bronxsta

Probably not related to the sudden rise up the charts, but I found this really nice write-up about the game:
    http://normallyrascal.wordpress.com/2014/03/11/exploring-a-dark-room/

16. There is no reason this game should be in the top 200 let alone top 10. I'm sorry but it is hands down one of the most boring apps ever. Sorry to the creator, but I'm sure he could care less. He's laughing all the way to the bank. Congrats on the success. Still a bore.

17. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Well maybe you just didn't give it a chance because I bought this when it came out and loved it, it's one if those games where your always finding something new and it might not seem like much at first when your just clicking a button but give it a chance and it opens up to be something I was not expecting.
    (Trying not to give anything away for people who actually want to play the game and discover it for themselves)
    Maybe you have to be of a certain age to enjoy these text adventure style games?

18. LousyHero

LousyHero Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Honestly this type of game was always going to be divisive. Probably even more so in this day and age of photorealistic graphics, and surround sound. The fact that it is at the top of the app store seemingly without much coverage or exposure is pretty damn awesome though. I know i was hooked as soon as i stoked the fire that first time.

By the way amirrajan. Going camping this weekend, might just fire this up and stoke a fire in game while doing so irl. Who needs an occulus rift.

19. Mooro

Mooro Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Delighted to see this little game do well. One of my favourite games of the year so far. It starts out quite simple but the more time you give it the more engrossing it gets. So much better that most of the freemium graphic driven style over substance games out there.

20. amirrajan

Jan 14, 2014
    Software Developer
    Dallas, Tx
    You're either going to love A Dark Room or hate it. It took me a while to accept that. It was a pretty emotional time when I first started to get 1-star reviews in the UK.

The reviews still sting a little bit (especially those that call the game a scam). But I can empathize with the buyers, especially given how many times I myself have felt cheated after buying apps.

I'll keep an eye on this thread daily. Keep the conversation going :-D