Universal A Dark Room (by Amirali Rajan)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Nov 22, 2013.

1. amirrajan

amirrajan Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Software Developer
    Dallas, Tx
  2. zdn1042

zdn1042 Well-Known Member

May 10, 2013
    Finally got the chance to play the game. And it really is quite the awesome game. I really like it. At first I had no idea what to do with the game so it took a few minutes before I got the hang of how things work. I guess figuring it out is part of the fun.

3. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    Ok I wanted to write a review for this but I really struggled coming up with things to say, so I will keep it brief and to the point:

I found the game enjoyable (fun isn't the right word, but it kept my interest)
    It has loot, and unlockable buildings etc. I like to unlock stuff!
    The 'plot' was very minimalist, but still enough to excite the imagination a little. It would have actually been nice to learn more about the story.

Bottom line: worth the price of admission, it is not a very long experience, so if you are cheap enough that paying a buck or two for an hour or two of entertainment seems like a rip off to you, then I guess avoid... It is not long, but it is great while it lasts.

4. amirrajan

Jan 14, 2014
    Software Developer
    Dallas, Tx
    Thanks for the review :) did you get a chance to try the alternate ending. There is a hint at the end on how to unlock it.

5. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    If I'm not mistaken that will take me a million years of game time to do? Lol

6. amirrajan

Jan 14, 2014
    Software Developer
    Dallas, Tx
    It's not that much longer. About the same amount of time it took to beat the game the regular way.

7. amirrajan

Jan 14, 2014
    Software Developer
    Dallas, Tx
    Just a note..

The contest is over. Thanks to all that participated.

8. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    That's an ironic perception that a game is initially "not very long" but offers alternative pathway that's seen as excessively lengthy.

9. amirrajan

Jan 14, 2014
    Software Developer
    Dallas, Tx
    I can see how the first play through (if you're really good at staying on top of your
    village and allocating resources, and are cautious on the world exploration)
    can go back quickly. I play tested with a number of people and it took them anywhere from 3 to 8 hours to finish the game the first time through. The alternate ending took another 2 to 4 hours to complete (since they knew how to play the game). So if you're really really good at video games and think ahead, both the main game and the alternate ending can be finished in 4 hours... this has been extremely rare from what I've see though. Most take a solid 7 hours to beat the game both ways (pretty good ROI for $2 if you ask me).

10. dingdongfootball

dingdongfootball Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    I play a few minutes every day but I'm mostly just wandering around dying now. Still love it!

11. amirrajan

Jan 14, 2014
    Software Developer
    Dallas, Tx
    Tip!

Keep in mind that you can
    wield multiple weapons at the same time
    . That should make a few things easier for you.

12. GhostlyGiant

GhostlyGiant New Member

Jan 26, 2014
    Bought it, and just wanted to stop by to say I really liked the game!

13. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    It seems contradictory, but it really isnt :p

14. LousyHero

LousyHero Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    #54 LousyHero, Feb 14, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
    Just finished my first play through. Game is amazing. Building, survival, post apocalyptic setting, and a pretty damn good story. Its kinda wrapped up in a mud type package, that really just all works together. Its all text/ascii but with a good imagination it comes together beautifully. For a $2 game its a no brainer if you are into any of the things i listed. Kudos to the developer.

P.s. Forgot to add that the screen dimming and brighting as the fire dies and is stoked back to life is brilliant. Really pulled me in. Almost like camping ;)

15. lukerox

lukerox Member

Feb 7, 2014
    Does it work on iPod 4?

16. jaaaws

jaaaws Active Member

Mar 28, 2011
    #56 jaaaws, Feb 15, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
    Got this little gem while it was on sale ans it was one of the best games i played recently. I just finished my first playthrough but after reading that there is an alternate ending I will do a second run.
    Just a few questions:
    1. what do the ascoi codes on the map mean? Some of them I could explain my myself (T=Tree, .=plains, #=Road) but what do the others mean?
    2. I found the weapon balancing quite odd, i mean most of the swords do more damage than a rifle/carbine.
    3. does the alternate ending has something to do with her locket ( please answer in spoiler tags)
    4. again a possible spoiler question: what is te best possible gear you can get?

Edit: Just saw it is free now. Grab it while you can. I am glad i payed some money to support the dev.

17. amirrajan

Jan 14, 2014
    Software Developer
    Dallas, Tx
    T=tree ,=plains .=barrens (each terrain has a different type of enemy) #=roads which means no encounters. All other landmarks denoted by a bold letter are explained when you enter them (eg: H for An Old House, V for A Damp Cave)

The DPS is higher on rifles and carbines, but they require bullets and batteries

The alternate ending is really about how the game plays when you try to beat it without building any huts (it's much harder to say the least). There are minor variations in what the builder says too.

All steal gear is the best, but when playing with no huts... you have to be very carful in what you end up buying since you have limited resources

18. Lavender

Lavender Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    I am really enjoying this game.
    My whole family thought I was crazy when I busted out laughing! I had thought there was a glitch when my screen started going black! After figuring out that it was supposed to do that ( DUH,), I was laughing.

Most text games are nothing but text games. But this one is way more then that. Very very creative! Obviously a lot of thought went into making this,

19. amirrajan

Jan 14, 2014
    Software Developer
    Dallas, Tx
    Thanks for sharing! Love hearing reactions that people have over the game. Especially since on lookers don't "understand" what is going on usually. ;)

20. amirrajan

Jan 14, 2014
    Software Developer
    Dallas, Tx
    Permanent price drop

Just wanted everyone to know that I'll be keeping the price of A Dark Room at $0.99 for the foreseeable future. Hope you enjoy :)