A confession: I hate the IOS dev environment!

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by karlth, Jan 14, 2012.

1. karlth

karlth Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Iceland
    I've probably spent at least 20% of the development time fighting with Xcode(options/schemas/endless hidden settings/v3-v4 transition/bugs) and the never-ending pit of code signing/appids/adhoc distribution/keychains/etc.

God I hate the iOS development environment.

Love the devices though. It is just the development and publishing workflow that should be taken into an alley and shot.

Thanks. Just had to get that off my chest. :)

2. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    It's really hard, and sometimes it's really frustrating too. (Provisioning profiles!)

But it's all good in the end, because I love iOS devices.

3. karlth

karlth Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Iceland
    It is a love hate thing. When it is frustrating you hate it and then when you find the solution you forget about it almost immediately.

Most of the deployment/keychain/profiles really should be handled automatically.

4. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

Heck, I don't even like the devices, at least the phones. My phone (and or at&t) is crap. My crappy Audiovox MetroPCS flip phone had voice dialing years before the iPhone. WTH?

As a dev, I hate many of Apple's policies. I don't like their computers, I'm a Windows man. I hate the stranglehold Apple insists on having over everything.

The only thing I like about Apple is that they pay me every month, and they pay fair. I LOVE making games and have done it for free for years and years, but Apple? Pain in the ASS to work with. I do appreciate the availability of the app store to small budget devs though.

5. Rocotilos

Rocotilos Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    iOS Apps & Games Developer
    Hehe. If you hate iOS SDK, I think you should try developing for Android. Here's my thoughts about it: http://emir-bytes.blogspot.com/2011/06/spreading-my-wings-android.html

:D

6. Barcâ

Barcâ Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Xcode is a perpetual cluster f*** sometimes.

The V3-V4 conversion really messed with a lot of people. I started developing on V4 so I was lucky enough to skip the upgrade issues.

The app signing process coupled with the provisioning file baloney has really deterred me from using the SDK.

I just hope in the next iteration of the SDK that Apple, simplifies things to a degree. At least the app signing, provisioning, and app submission processes.

7. NinthNinja

NinthNinja Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2011
    Compared to the Android SDK and dev tools Xcode is leagues ahead... Once you get used to Xcode then everything is great but developing on Android is a pile of crap.

8. Moonjump

Moonjump Well-Known Member

May 17, 2010
    Game designer
    Lincoln, UK
    It is already a lot simpler than it was, but I also hope it gets even more straightforward and automated.

9. smashdev2011

smashdev2011 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2011
    Near San Fran
    I think it's funny that Apple devices are so simple and user-friendly, but the dev environment for them is so... Not simple.

10. AmazingRuss

AmazingRuss Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    I've heard it theorized that they do this to keep the feeble minded away.

If that's the case, I'm borderline feeble minded.

11. MikeSz_spokko

MikeSz_spokko Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    #11 MikeSz_spokko, Jan 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
    Haha, funny - I was thinking about starting a thread like that yesterday ;)

We've been making iOS games for over 3 years now - and I still hate tons of things about Apple. Where do I start...

Oh well, let's start with what Apple says about themselves ;)

1) "It just works". Must be a reason why we just had to reinstall 2 systems over the weekend because XCode simply started crashing every 5 minutes. For no reason. On 2 macs at the same time. How is that even possible is beyond me

2) "Works out of the box". Well, maybe works but doesn't cooperate. I switched to Lion and was greeted with the "natural scrolling motion" shit. How in the name of all that is idiotic they came up with that crap is beyond me. And since I have non-pro Macbook I couldn't change the scrolling from the touchpad settings panel. Instead... I had to plug mouse and change scrolling on it. Intuitive as ��������

3) "For professionals". I guess XCode 4 is the one and ONLY developer tool in the world that will not allow you to customize the stupid toolbar. It will also remove functionalities from Xcode 3 (like header / class toggle button) for no reason, and change shortcut for the same functionality. That's very Apple'ish - it doesn't make software for people. It makes people for their software

Ah, I could go on and on, but there's really no point. I really see no alternative to it ;) There's Android market but let's be honest about it - I'd rather struggle with the development than struggle with the market. iOS is fantastic for the developer - the devices are pretty much always the same, the users are conditioned, there's just one marketplace and so on

So I'd suggest you - grind your teeth but keep on working. Think whatever you think about Apple - and trust me I don't think kindly at all - but use the opportunity that they provided

12. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

Well there sure are a lot of feeble games out there! It isn't working! :)

13. Code signings are OK for me. My nightmares are:

1) Fighting against retina/non-retina/iPad-res issues, especially you are also using some 3rd party tools like cocos2d

2) Once Xcode3, then Xcode4 and again Xcode3... Many things became a chaos. (Still has after effects by now. Crashes in simulator before iOS 4.0 version. Don't know if the same for the real devices.)

14. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    XCode has actually improved a hell of a lot over the last three years, it took a while but I now actually prefer it to MS Visual Studio which I've used for many years. Even provisioning has improved a little, still a huge pain though, just a few days ago I had to get an urgent adhoc build to someone only to find my distribution certificate had expired. That was a fun half hour...

There is a flip side to provisioning hell though. Arguably it's the reason that iOS devices are relatively hard to jailbreak and sales are relatively unaffected by piracy. The evidence being that Android sales have overtaken iOS while Android app sales are still lagging way behind.

15. pinkandpurple

pinkandpurple Well-Known Member

May 19, 2011
    Secretary
    App and not go through Kindle

So her eis my thought for six months
    Will I sell much miuch more doing a direct app or selling my ebooks through the Kindle app?

16. EfratBarTal

EfratBarTal Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    this IDE should be scrapped ASAP, along with iTunes.

17. jclardy

jclardy Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Back during Xcode 3 days and when Xcode didn't do automatic provisioning I didn't like it. So many hours spent searching the filesystem for an expired provisioning profile because Xcode decided it didn't want to actually delete it.

But now I don't mind, maybe I have just gotten used to it.

Though I would say I have tried development for the Blackberry playbook, and that was a nightmare in comparison. I built a simple app (which was also a pain, because their system API's were terrible and incomplete) in a day or two, and spent the next 3 or so days trying to actually submit it.

Also have tried Android dev which doesn't seem bad in terms of building/submitting. But of course their API's also suck in comparison to Apple's. I don't mind using Eclipse, but on a mac it just feels bad and sluggish in comparison to Xcode, even on an i7. On Windows it doesn't feel as bad, maybe the Java UI is implemented better on it.

18. Hercule

Hercule Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Me too I've struggled with provisionning profile. Back in the days with java game, it was a lot more simple. Just sign your jar (and compatible with 600 different phone..)

But what bother me more, is the lack of good tool for dev on MacOS.
    There is no good SVN client or good filemanager.

19. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany

for svn take a look at versions http://versionsapp.com/

20. pkMinhas

pkMinhas Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2011
    Software development
    India
    I wish there was something similar to javadocs in XCode!