A comparison of iPhone dev middleware

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by blakespot, Nov 19, 2008.

1. blakespot

blakespot Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
  2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately it's factually incorrect:

No, it lacks sockets in the indie license. That does not mean "no online anything". You can do all the online high scores and so on that you want, you just can't make a multiplayer FPS game.

Playerprefs aren't functional at the moment, but you can pretty easily implement them yourself by loading and saving files, in order to work around that while waiting for the bugfix.

As a matter of opinion, I strongly disagree that iTorque is the "best overall" for featureset, and it seems to have some performance issues. Note that there aren't any Torque games in the app store, despite it having been out the longest...correct me if I'm wrong on that.

--Eric

3. mehware

mehware Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Eric5h5 hit the nail on the head.

I personally use Unity 3D now and have used torque in the past both the 3d (TGE) and 2D engine (TGB). There is a learning curve for both more so for Torque.

As a developer, starting off I couldn't get anywhere with torque (I am not saying it is bad) I guess I was trying to walk before I could crawl. As I learned more and migrated to Unity I found that its more of a blank slate and anything could be made with it, then an FPS geared engine.

I have not played with iTorque or iTGB and I do not know of any titles in the app store that use it. I do know that there is a few titles and growing that use Unity's iPhone middleware.

Once everything is set up in Unity3D it literally is apple-b to get the game on your iPhone/iPod Touch.

I hope the writer of the article gets/requests a trial for iTGB,iTorque,Unity3D iPhone and even EdgeLib and makes the decision based on his experience during the trial, not on information hes read because as Eric mentioned he was wrong on two points.

- Matt