A community or lack thereof?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by jbletsch, Jun 26, 2009.

1. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Ummmm...not really a "rant." More of an observation coupled with my opinion, actually. Nothing rant-like about it.

I think that the primary demographic of this forum has become 13-17 year-old boys, so it's not surprising that some of them act like...well...children. ;)

I do think this thread is beneficial in that it serves as a reminder that the forum is open to everyone who is interested in games and apps for the iPhone/iPod Touch...regardless of sex, age, culture, or any other irrelevant characteristic. What binds us together is that we all love games. Just try to be a little more patient with newbies--everyone was "new" once.
    It would be nice to see the forum become more of a community and less of a dysfunctional family! :)

2. pharmx

pharmx Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009
    First of all, since I didn't do so earlier....hello and welcome to TA!

Now with respect to what you said about being good natured and helpful, etc....I completely agree with you. But you also have to realize that people are different. Some people are very polite and proper, while others are sarcastic and crass. Both types of people can be good at heart and have a lot to offer. All I was trying to point out in my earlier posts was that you need to have some thick skin when it comes to internet forums...especially a forum that caters to the gaming crowd.

I hope you didn't take what I said earlier as an attack on you....that wasn't my intention. I was merely suggesting that people express themselves differently, and that some people take a little bit longer to warm up to "newbies" than others.

3. Mattman

Mattman Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    jchampl and filthycanadian harass everyone-its like their thing. Sure it gets on my nerves every so often, and its a little old these days, but it wasn't a personal, ban worthy attack. I'm not saying that I think they should be off the hook for anything because of their "schtick" but I like to think of them like mean comedians, or accepted(even appreciated occasionally :rolleyes:) trolls.

For the community as a whole, I apologize, and I think this topic was handled very well.

4. jchampl

jchampl Well-Known Member

i was the first person that called him out, and he got mad when I accidently ;) called him loverboy haha

5. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    A mod told me right after he was banned he contacted them "WHY WAS I BANNED?!?!!!!!?"

6. jFND

jFND Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2009
    My first guess was that it was jchampl, was I was right?

7. worldcup1100

worldcup1100 Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Yep, and second guess?

8. mofard

mofard Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    #48 mofard, Jul 5, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2009
    Who cares this is a gaming website and forum to find deals on iphone games, and the problem of spammers will never go away
    and trolls are real idiots because they run around typing sentences on forums trying to piss people off, that is basically their life

9. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    So you're basically saying you're all wrong? :p

10. sundance kid

sundance kid Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    eehhh
    BFE,AZ
    i think that there's a certain degree of sarcasm, or harassing people, both jchampl and filthyCanadian have said some funny stuff, and sometimes they've said some rude stuff, but they both know when enough is enough, its just the way they are, but they also put a lot of input into other stuff, and they both know a lot about iphone gaming.i think that sometimes it would be good for a mod to warn someone when saying something sarcastic or along those lines, but i think banning should be saved for the people, personally attacking someone continuously.most of the time its just being being sarcastic, when your having an argument about something with someone, they should be allowed to, but should also take it to private messages, if the thread starts getting out of control with arguing i think that the people should just leave it alone, most of the veterans of the website are good about that, they know when enough is enough, its the sorta new people that come in and say a small comment or something that starts everyone off(everyone makes comments, just some know when to leave it alone when the time comes).the one big problem is people making new forums that already exist, and there are some rude comments made to the one who started the forum, but people have been getting better lately about using the search button. but like the rules say just simply post saying that there's a duplicate thread, leave a link, and then its all done.its a forum people are allowed to express there opinions, that's what its for, but they shouldn't be banned for it, just warned.

11. AttackOfThePwned

AttackOfThePwned Well-Known Member

May 28, 2009
    Photographer
    San Francisco, CA
    Thumbs up or down??

How about a thumbs up/thumbs down point system for all members? Then other posters (especially newbies) can tell if you are generally a helpful or not so helpful poster based on thumbs up points and thumbs down points.

12. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    I've been on a site that used that sort of system. Many members let everyone know that they would give thumbs up to people who gave thumbs up to them. Doesn't really work.