A Collaborative Visual Scripting Tool for Game Development

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Matthew Austin, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Matthew Austin

Matthew Austin New Member

Jul 24, 2020
    Male
    Hi.

I am planning to develop a visual scripting tool for my one of my research projects that supports collaboration and history tracking for game development. The following questions were designed to figure out which features would be valuable to have in such a tool. If you have time, please kindly provide your comments.

1. Which tool or a resource do you use while developing games collaboratively?

2. Do you think that using collaboration features in a visual scripting tool (such as Unreal Blueprints, Amplify Shader Editor, Playmaker, Bolt, NodeCanvas) for game development would benefit you during game development? Why? If so, then how?

3. Tracking history allows access to previous states quickly. Do you think having this feature while developing games collaboratively using a visual scripting tool would be useful? Why? If so, then how?

4. What about branched history? Branched history allows access to history of alternatives quickly. Do you think having this feature while developing games collaboratively using a visual scripting tool would be useful? Why? If so, then how?

5. Do you think the ability to perform collaborative game development in real-time using a visual scripting tool would be useful (e.g., like real-time collaborative editing in Google Docs)? If so, then how? Or do you think asynchronous collaborative visual scripting would be more useful? Why?

6. In your response please include the information about what kind of game development you do, if you don’t mind.

Reply to this thread if you require any further information.

Thanks.