Universal 9th Dawn II (by Valorware)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by syntheticvoid, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Saltoftheearth

Saltoftheearth New Member

Aug 19, 2016
    Nearest npc seller to kolorus?

What's the nearest seller outside kolorus? I need 30k to get in,but I don't have it and I'm overweight with wares

2. Claud

Claud Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2014
    New York
    Question before purchasing:

All areas in this game appear exactly the same every time? I mean is there some element of randomization or procedural generation?

Where is the replayability value in this game?

3. Claud

Claud Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2014
    New York
    Ok it seems like development and support for this game has been completely abandoned. The developer left the forum, their Twitter account has been abandoned for over a year, they no longer reply to support emails... doesn't sound good at all.

4. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    It does not seem like that. I think he had an issue with Marmalde the publishing group. I also believe he experienced some health problems. But the developer FB page posted this on Friday:

"I was ready to spend a few hours updating the android/ios versions tonight with all the current bug fixes but it seems like MadeWithMarmalade has disabled my paid account 10 months too early. I paid to renew my annual licence in June this year and it has already expired. I have emailed them about this but I thought you could do with an explaination. I am so sick of their service especially during the iOS launch. I am very sorry about the continued delay. Needless to say, I won't be using MadeWithMarmalade in future titles as it has made my job so much more difficult and unfortunately those difficulties pass onto you as customers. Please accept my apologies and hopefully I can get this sorted soon"

5. Claud

Claud Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2014
    New York
    Thank you so much for sharing this as I wasn't aware of it. Do you know if the game will continue to be updated on iOS?

Also any idea why the developer/company account has been abandoned on Twitter for over a year?

Either way any kind of feedback is good so maybe things aren't really dead. I'm really glad to read that.

6. Claud

Claud Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2014
    New York
    Truth is I see other users complaining that the dev doesn't reply to support inquiries, whether by email or Facebook. If true that's kind of a red flag right there, when support gets ignored in paid software.

7. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    @Claud

I think it's a bit harsh taking a shot at the developer considering a) 9th Dawn II has been out less than a year (despite your protestation that he abandoned this over a year ago?!) b) his last communication with forum members was on the previous thread page (p38 of 39 iirc) and c) he actively endorsed requesting a full refund if people were still having problems with the game admitting he had "exhausted all the options available to me with my current knowledge of iOS".

He clearly outlines from the first few pages that he's had problems with Marmalade during and post launch. He may have gone quiet for now but that's not to mean he's abandoned the game completely. Considering the effort he has/is putting in to such a great game, seems a little unfair to be calling for the torches and pitchforks!

His first game (9th Dawn) was amazing, especially considering he did it all himself. This second attempt may have overstretched his ability but only because he strived to deliver more than before to keep the fans happy. He's not a large scale developing powerhouse, he's one guy - who also from the sounds of it has had some personal health problems to deal with. Whether that's true or not, I still think he deserves to be cut a little slack.

If you want to rally around a lost cause created by money grabbing, unprincipled devs, then try taking a look at the Hero Siege threads.....and that's both versions, the original failure and the equally dire and rather more shady 're-launch'.

8. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    One person development team or multi, purchasing software does not entitle you to support constantly. It may not be a good buisness practice, but you don't get continuous service.

This dev has done and amazing job and communicated pretty clearly. It's just not what people want to hear.

9. Claud

Claud Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2014
    New York
    Don't get me wrong I'm not taking a shot at the developer at all. I wish for no torches or pitchforks! lol
    In fact I hate internet drama. However I can't help but looking at some facts.

I never said the game was abandoned over a year ago. I mentioned that the official Twitter account has been abandoned.
    The last post there was on September 14th 2015. That's a year ago.

Well it may be true that his lack of knowledge or experience with iOS made him unable to fix bugs in the software he publishes but that's hardly a valid excuse. Does this also mean that development of the game on iOS has stopped?

It's perfectly understandable if he has been dealing with personal health issues. I'm sure we all should respect that if true. However I find no reference to that on Twitter or their official website and blog so I will not focus on unsubstantiated rumors at this point.

I'm sure there are many examples out there of really bad developers. To be honest I never claimed that Valorware was about money grabbing. I don't believe they are and I genuinely think they created a great game in 9th Dawn II. It has a lot of potential and that's also why I'm speaking up as it deserves more attention and better support. It really is a well crafted mobile RPG.

It does however suffer from several problematic issues. One is the recurring crashes that many people have reported. Another is asking for a review every time you launch the game. That's just poor design and implementation by the developer as having a premium game asking for a review at every launch is beyond idiotic. People have complained about that even in freemium games, let alone in one with such an elevated price tag for a mobile game. It simply makes no sense and should have been addressed long ago.

Also the lack of a sync solution which is rather vital in this sort of game, making it unplayable in different devices. But if smaller things are not addressed I don't have much hope for something like this to ever be implemented? Do we know if it's even being worked on? Again, there's no communication at all.

No one mentioned constant support. In fact it has nothing to do with entitlement. I'm talking about a single email. One mere support question. I've discussed this with more than one users who have purchased the game and contacted the developer, sometimes with a simple question, and none got a reply. That's not entitlement that's lack of support. On recently released premium software that's just bad.

Sorry you may love the game and I find it fantastic as well but that's a clear red flag.

10. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    This is what developers, expecially indie developers, should never let happen.
    Ignore emails from concerned customers.

As a gamer I want to support indie developers because I believe that their products, in a lot of cases, are better than the flashy big name games.

They are usually just small developers with either themselves or perhaps one or two employees. Email correspondence is vital to both the developer and the customer.
    When the developer ignores emails from their customers they are doing themselves a disservice.

And they start to look like how a big company treats their customers support questions either...
    ...no reply
    ...or "we appreciate your request. We will pass it on to the relevant department".

It simply is not good enough.
    It is just common courtesy to reply to someone who has reached out to you with a problem they have with the product you are selling.

11. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    There's an update...

12. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    Clearly a sign that development has been abandoned then! #

13. Claud

Claud Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2014
    New York
    Agreed. Sometimes they fail to understand how vital communication is to their business and with limited resources to invest in proper marketing their users are very much the force pushing those games forward. :)

14. nhojuhc

nhojuhc Member

Nov 28, 2013
    #394 nhojuhc, Oct 12, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
    Claud: I think you and Stubbs seem to have some sort of warped sense of game dev reality going on here. A one man dev who works full time at a day job, does this part time, has health issues, has a family, does not have 24/7 to plug a twitter account, a blog, and necessarily the time to cover all communiques with you at your whim. I find it shocking how people expect devs to be social media experts. You speak of an ideal that very few normal working people could possibly live up to, especially in his circumstances. You don't even know how much email volume he gets a day from zealous fans. Maybe, just maybe he answers the 10% of the hundreds of emails he gets, but then pisses of the 500 other ones he can't get to cuz he has to go to work the next day. But seriously he is not a paid full time blogger, social media consultant, or a vine or YouTube star. He does not "have" a social media team like celebrities or politicians do, to cover his work for him. He's just an average guy who does what he likes to do. It's just the risk you pay when buying a game from a small outfit.

15. Claud

Claud Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2014
    New York
    #395 Claud, Oct 12, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
    Can you read?

Replying 24/7? Being available at a whim? No one mentioned anything like that.
    In fact I merely pointed to a lack of Twitter activity for the period of one year. That's hardly 24/7.

It's rather clear who has a warped sense of reality in here, or is just severely lacking in language skills.

There is no high horse. Just some criticism that was properly substantiated and documented, nothing more.
    No hard feelings or anger at all as in fact I mentioned on several occasions that I really enjoy this game and the dev's work on it.

You seem like the type who can't handle criticism and any sort of argumentation is classified as being on a high horse then followed by the typical armchair insult so recurrently found amongst forum trolls and white knights that plague social media today.

Anyways have a good day.

16. nhojuhc

nhojuhc Member

Nov 28, 2013
    Ahem, if you cannot differentiate sarcasm in my response, then I think the one who is severely lacking might just be you.

Actually there is One more thing that one gains from your criticism after "properly substantiated and documented" and that is "asinine". Your previous pots's superior intellect and righteous tone sir, simply grated my ears and probably many others. Substantiating and documenting the obvious doesn't win anyone favors. Everyone knows that that better communications would benefit a any software studio developer. Believe me when I say this, but I pretty sure that *gasp* Valorware knows too!

I want to reiterate that Valorware doesn't deserve to be lit on fire simply for not conforming to your standards of excellence. Software developers in the past did not have to write blog, tweets or posts about their progress. That is a phenomenon that evolved from bigger software studios marketing their product. It is encouraged, and certainly beneficial to devs in many ways. However Valorware is a person with a life. He does this for fun, and I want to say he's doing a great job.

17. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    ... there's another update.

18. Claud

Claud Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2014
    New York
    Ok I’m being blamed because I actually chose to express myself properly and additionally I justify my claims. Got it.

Just one small detail that you’re clearly missing. This game is being sold in the App Store for $7.99 as well as on Steam and Google Play. For your information that’s not freeware it’s premium software. It’s not “for fun”. If this is just for fun then it should be free. Otherwise if you’re selling a product and making a profit from it you have to provide support. Welcome to the industry.

Now to finalize let me add that I’m not lighting Valorware on fire or continuing with my criticism, that was established several posts ago and I’m not dragging on it I’m simply replying to the recurrent misconceptions in your ignorant remarks.

True, sadly this one broke the icon on iPhones. :( Oh well...
    Lets hope that development continues. At least there's some activity which is a good sign.

19. nhojuhc

nhojuhc Member

Nov 28, 2013
    @Claud: when you choose to buy his game, you pretty much live by his personal expectations of quality and that of Apple's minimum criteria. That's something you should've understood from the start.

20. Claud

Claud Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2014
    New York

You do have a point there. All I'm saying is that we, as customers, should expect better in terms of support. That doesn't mean we make a drama out of it but at least not be afraid to talk about it.