Universal 9th Dawn - (by Made with Marmalade)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 5, 2013.

1. oldgamer dude

oldgamer dude Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2013
    I'm really enjoying the archer myself, the Mage's attacks are more powerful but I have a thing for being an archer or wood elf lol in RPGs. I'm with undeadcow on the mechanics of the ranged attacks. I just love that you have limited time to line up your shot and there's no auto aim nonsense. Well unless you want to enable it.

2. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    The way I zoom is using the "hotkey" in the hotkey tray you see at the bottom center of the screenshots. Hope this helps. =)

Unzoomed:
    [​IMG]

Zoomed:
    [​IMG]

Lol..yeah. If this wasn't a "dual stick" system, I may have played the generic warrior. ;-)

3. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I can't post pictures now but I can say that zooming is handled well with good image fidelity. Graphics seem more detailed and not distorted or blurry. As is the nature of the obvious game graphics zooming in shows character edge pixelation slightly more, but that's not unappealing since it's a pixel design to begin with. I estimate that the zoom in pushes the view in such a way that about 25-33% of the screen is sacrificed. I prefer to play zoomed out. Earlier I said the graphics were not Retina but zoom makes me wonder if some of the material, like grassy background is higher definition. Zooming in reveals nicer detail and image quality does not become softer.

If you've reached a point where image zoom is your concern then it's probably time to get off the fence. Zoom in 9th Dawn is really an optional perk that's nice to have but unlikely you'll use much. Go for it and report back on your impressions.

Edit: Beat to it by tops2.

4. oldgamer dude

Mar 22, 2013
    #164 oldgamer dude, Jun 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
    Oh and regarding the darkness, you can buy torches and hot key them and activate them at night or on a dark cave. I find they really help walking around at night. Forgive me if this has been mentioned before, but I know you were concerned with the dark screens so I'd thought I would mention this. If you're like most of us here and like open world RPGs and exploration.. Well you're probably going to buy it anyways because you're a gamer ;) Fence, what fence? :)

Let me add that I find the graphics very well done and have they have an old school charm. But they aren't going to cause any wows or anything - they fit the game. Also there is some nice humour sprinkled throughout the game, that's always a plus in my book.

5. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Tops2, thanks. That's what I was hoping to see.

Also, thanks to oldgamerdude & undeadcow.

I went ahead and bought it.

6. oldgamer dude

Mar 22, 2013
    Cool , let us know what you think of course.

7. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    So far it's pretty awesome. Yeah my eyes are in pain (it feels like it should be midnight right now instead of the end of my lunch break), but overall the gameplay is pretty tight and fun. I'm a sucker for action rpg's... especially anything with a big world to explore and loads of secrets to uncover.

I think there's room for improvement such as showing what level you need to be (and currently are) to equip certain weapons or doing something to make it clear all the items/weapons you pick up that you'll never be able to use (it get's laborious figuring out what to sell)... still, I'm enjoying it.

Progress wise,
    I cleaned out the rats & bandits from the cave south of home (which made getting the golden pot back easier later since I hadn't started that quest yet). Now I'm through the first stronghold of goblins and at their main base hoping to not die this time and get the key for the tea maker.

Overall, an hour well spent.

8. oldgamer dude

Mar 22, 2013
    Yeah it's got some rough edges for sure but I think it still stands out in the sea of mediocre IOS RPGs. Glad you're enjoying it :) And you've just scratched the surface of course.

9. DahakaJR

DahakaJR Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2010
    I drive trains, Locomotive Engineer.
    Pacific Northwest.
    Damn son! Requires 70 axe skill!

[​IMG]

10. BillyOceansBlues

BillyOceansBlues Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    #170 BillyOceansBlues, Jun 7, 2013
    This game really is what they claim it to be. Robust in every sense. Skills improve with use, crazy amounts of loot, huge map, decent controls. Some UI improvements would help, but overall, damn this is the real deal.
    Side note: That icon, woof!

11. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Yeah, I have a feeling my next week or so is going to have all my game time consumed by this... and I'm looking forward to it. I did manage to finish the mission I was on and start the next one.

QUESTION:

Do the trunks you encounter in the world save all of their items? That is, can I take one over and put stuff in a trunk that I don't want to carry around or will it eventually disappear?

12. bigred447uk

bigred447uk Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    #172 bigred447uk, Jun 7, 2013
    Im at least 4 hours in and this game is just awesome. Once i realised my quest log was actually in my inventory i was away !

Loving this. Warhammer Quest is losing out to this geeat game.

13. oldgamer dude

Mar 22, 2013
    Good question and I was wondering myself , but unfortunately I don't have an answer. I guess I could just try to stash some stuff in one and see if it stays . Or maybe someone else knows.

14. oldgamer dude

Mar 22, 2013
    #174 oldgamer dude, Jun 7, 2013
    Same here, Warhammer isn't getting any play time from me, between this and Scurvy Scallywags. It's weird they put your silver and quest log in the inventory and map for that matter. Luckily there are a ton of hot key slots.

I'm wondering what everybody is using as a character? My guess is the Mage is the most popular .

15. LT100

LT100 New Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Anyone have info on whether they are going to do a retina graphics upgrade?

16. Yerti1

Yerti1 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 8, 2012
    You are right I use Mage lol

17. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Maybe the developer will chime in otherwise but I would not expect a retina update. I understand getting higher definition graphics involves redrawing art a lot of times and in some ways can be like starting over from scratch with graphics.

18. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #178 Gwarmaxx, Jun 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
    same for me pal, Warhammer deleted... an 800 mb file of boring and repetitive gameplay/grafx.
    guess we all here needed an open world rpg like this, with its old school grafx and a huge map to travel in... this and Scurvy are both really jewels!!!

19. bobish

bobish Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2013
    Control Problem?

I've been following this forum with great interest in this game and decided to download it and give it a shot. Is anyone having some serious control issues when it comes to combat? I am playing as the knight, and for the life of me I can't get the combat figured out. I'm about to give it about the 10th shot in the FIRST cave. It seems like when I swipe the attack button, there is about a 1/2 second delay in carrying out the attack. And the aiming is REALLY bad. Does this get easier as the game progresses and you level up? I'm also playing Pocket RPG, where the controls are completely responsive. I almost thought that the game maybe wasn't supported for my 4s because of that lag. Any help I'd appreciate it as I really want to get into this..

20. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    It's Retina already. The pixels are, well, pixel-perfect.