Universal 9th Dawn - (by Made with Marmalade)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 5, 2013.

1. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Make sure you have a look of the video. Think its more Diablo like, lots of exploring and checking for treasure and fighting lots of different monsters. Like an arcade version of Ultima. Looks similar to the old Ultima games but combat is different as its not turn based.

Well well worth picking up

2. Rosso

Rosso Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Sorry in case someone asked already: is this with virtual stick control only?? PLEASE say "no"!!

Thanks

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yes, there are options thought. Floating joystick, can reposition the joystick, make them larger.

Far better than any crazy swipe system etc

4. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    ...so... iPad screens?

5. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    This is ridiculously good and sickeningly cheap.

6. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    [​IMG]

There you go; at least six screens there.

7. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I'm starting to think maybe I don't dislike you after all.

8. Rosso

Rosso Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Thanks...

Bad news - I can't help myself, but HATE joystick ctrls on the iPad... :(

9. Valorware 2

Valorware 2 Active Member

Jun 6, 2013
    Rosso,

We know that not everybody enjoys this style of controls, but we did give it a LOT of thought and collected feedback from several users concerning the controls. Ultimately, we decided it just wouldn't be practical to have any other control style for the game. Some users suggested "tap-to-move" controls and autoattacking/homing in on enemies by targeting them. While this might work for some areas of the game and encounters with small numbers of enemies, it probably would get you killed quite often. The fast-paced combat with swarms of monsters just wouldn't be a good mesh with these types of controls :( We did try our best to provide a wide range of options for the thumbstick controls though, so that you could personalize it as much as possible.

10. icepulse

icepulse Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Wish they'd just port Ultima VI.

11. paradsecar

paradsecar Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Quick question: what's the save system like? Can you save anywhere? Multiple save slots? Quick save when minimizing?

I was desperately looking for a game to bide my time during a 10 hour mini-van ride to Florida for vacation with my in-laws. The horror... I think this game might be my salvation!

12. oldgamer dude

oldgamer dude Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2013
    #92 oldgamer dude, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
    So far I've been able to save anywhere, but if you die you re start at your spawn point. Only one save that I see and don't know about quick save when minimizing. Awesome game though, played too much last night. Oh there is an enable auto save option in the menu :)

Seriously although it has a couple of rough edges this game has so much going for it. Like a huge world ( just take a gander at the world map) lots of customization options , charming graphics and suberb music , fun combat and very dedicated developers. Oh and tons of lute :) I'm gobsmacked at what you get for 3 bucks, this is yummy RPG goodness bursting at the seams.

13. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yeah it autosaves a few times, mostly when you enter a new area, eg a cave. You can also save it whenever you want as well anyway so thats handy

14. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    I am having way too much fun with this. The controls are spot on, although there are some inventory UI clunk ones which could have been avoided.

15. Bowflexman

Bowflexman Well-Known Member

May 9, 2011
    I am really on this fence with this game right now! Someone give me a reason to purchase this please! It definitely looks like a lot of fun, it's just the price tag that turns me off, especially when I just bought KOTOR and Warhammer Quest.

This looks like an instabuy but I need more impressions from those who have played it.

Is it challenging enough?

16. chaos_envoys

chaos_envoys Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Medical Doctor
    Pokke Village, Indonesia
    Loving this game!!!! A perfect example for gameplay>>graphics!!

17. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #97 undeadcow, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
    At first I wasn't sure I'd like the projectile controls but playing as a mage they are a lot of fun. Too many games cop out with auto-aim and 9th Dawn feels challenging to quickly and accurately aim in the heat of combat. I love the open world vibe. This is definitely a stand out and step in the right direction for iOS RPGs. Hopefully we see more from ValorWare... I think I read on their forum there is a spiritual follow-up in early development.
    If you found the truncated loop of Warhammer Quest challenging and reasonably priced then 9th Dawn will knock your socks off. It's a lot more action oriented but controls are smooth and there's a ton to explore. You seem to be a fan of RPGs so 9th Dawn will likely be in line with your preferences. The open world dynamics is revolutionary by iOS standards.

18. Bowflexman

Bowflexman Well-Known Member

May 9, 2011
    Awesome thank you! Warhammer was definitely on the easy side. Nice to see devs bringing the classic old school rpg back. Been enjoying RPGs for 20+ years now so it's nice to see that this is still a widely popular genre. I will be leaving impressions shortly.

19. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I've only been skimming the details on this... is there any random world/dungeon generation?

20. paradsecar

paradsecar Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    How's the battery drain on this bad boy? Games with simple graphics tend to be pretty good but there are the occasonal lo-fi battery sucking games out there (I'm looking at you Avernum/Avadon)