Universal 9th Dawn - (by Made with Marmalade)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 5, 2013.

1. ValorwareRuki

ValorwareRuki Member

Jun 8, 2013
    That's good news!

2. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    I upgraded from my old ipad2 to an iPad air and now the screen doesn't rotate :(

Could you possibly look into it? Thank you.

3. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Any news on this?

4. heringer

heringer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    So is the update with the new engine still coming?

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
  6. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

#586 Bronxsta, Jan 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
    Didin't even know they were working on a sequel.

Is this going to be a full-fledged new game sequel or like a big update to the original (ala Boost 3D to Boost 2)?

7. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    From what I've read, it's an actual sequel in an all new engine. I'm looking forward to it.

Edit: I think I read something saying they were considering coding the original in the new engine.

8. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
  9. Gunlock

Gunlock Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2010
    The devs confirmed here that they are rewriting the game on a new engine and that it will be a free update to 9th Dawn. But it was in september and they were rather quiet since then, so I don't know if the game will be updated. It would be good to know if the overhaul is coming because I bought the game and never played it because of the news about the update.

10. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Just starting to play this game and so far it's awesome, but...

How the heck do I get back to the main menu once I'm in game? I don't see any option on the map, nor in the options screen.

Playing on iPad mini, would appreciate any help. My searches aren't coming up with any answers. It's probably right there in my face but I can't see it lol.

11. bobish

bobish Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2013
    On my iphone you click on the health bars , etc in the upper right hand corner. Haven't tried that on an iPad though.

12. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Yeah, that does bring me in the menu, but once there, there's no option to return to main.

Not a big deal, as I can just save and exit the app, but still, seems strange that such a normal function is (seemingly) missing.

Played some more last night, it's definitely really fun. I wonder if there are any other RPGs of this type, that aren't heavy on grinding.

13. Duivs

Duivs Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2013
    Guess what? Classified.
    Classified.
    Just re-picked up the game after about a year or two, and geez I forgot how tough it can be.
    I thought my ranger was pretty set but then these troll things started pummelling me lol.

Anything I should be doing in particular? Eg. Dungeons, places, items to get (besides the main quest)
    Also, what secret quests are there? None of the ones I've done so far are incredibly secret.

14. Riotgirl

Riotgirl Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2012
    UK
    I bought 9th Dawn after completing TWD. Although I didn't think it would be the kind of game that would interest me (a little to simple and retro for my tastes), it has proved to be the perfect tonic to the emotional grinder that TWD put me through.

It is a simple but charming game that is reminiscent of Ultima IV in terms of freedom and gameplay - without the party and pseudo-hippie theme. Ultima IV lite wouldn't be too far off.

I rolled a Knight and performed a few basic quests and started exploring the land. Many hours and days / weeks later when playing during my commute home, I was in the 40s and still hadn't died on the mainland. Wunderlust took me to the frozen north, where I met my first death. I then took a ship to the island in the SE where I met a couple more deaths because the difficulty level suddenly ramped up. Some of the creatures are seriously tough - more so when creatures gang up.

It is actually refreshing to be presented with a challenge, and have to carefully pull creatures away from groups to fight mano-a-mano or in pairs; or to have to carefully navigate around the terrain to avoid particularly tough creatures.

The charm of the game is the variety of loot to be found, as variety of different locations, and the musical score. There are glimpses of ambition here as well. One of the NPCs imparts more knowledge of the actual world, then a few glib words.

Whilst the controls work much better than I though they would, combat is quite a simple affair - at least when playing the Knight i.e. tank damage and deal damage. Not much tactical play besides timing when to eat to restore health. Again, there is ambition at work here because the creatures do have different attack patterns, damage, etc. But nothing too complex.

15. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I love this game and played it non stop till I finished it. Cant wait for the sequel

16. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    Somehow this game passed right by me. Looks awesome!

17. Duivs

Duivs Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2013
    Guess what? Classified.
    Classified.
    I like the camel.
    More games should have camels in them.

18. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Arrrgh ! Thought this might have been new news about the sequel.

Keep checking out their forum but it appears to be down at the moment. LOVE this game, cant wait for the sequel

19. Duivs

Duivs Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2013
    Guess what? Classified.
    Classified.
    Lol sorry, just camel.

the sequel had better have a camel as a pet to summon.

20. algebraswing

algebraswing New Member

Oct 8, 2014
    need command code list

I can't get in the final castle even though I have the hand Anyone have the command list? The old forum that had the list of commands is down? Love the game!!