Universal 9th Dawn - (by Made with Marmalade)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 5, 2013.

1. oldgamer dude

oldgamer dude Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2013
    Wow this came out of nowhere, this looks awesome. As of this moment I'm looking foward to this more than KRF tonight .

Loot ? I don't need no stinking loot ! :)

2. oldgamer dude

Mar 22, 2013

Nope , but it has an ocarina I think .

3. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    It has Lutefisk.

[​IMG]

4. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Thats two games now where you want to think and wait for opinions, be a daredevil and risk the dollar later ! ;)

5. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    OMG, this is so instabuy, it's more instabuy than a beer in the Sahara.

6. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    A dollar not spent to day is worth three in three weeks on the appstore. ;)

In all seriousness, I'm kind of tired of paying to be a beta tester on new releases as I only have so much time to game. It's safer to sit back and see what the community thinks.

On a side note, I watched a few videos on youtube for the android version and it sounds like this game does have the lute :D ... or maybe it's just a guitar... but it sounds very much like the kind of folksy music that would pull me into a game like this.

7. oldgamer dude

Mar 22, 2013

Mmmmmm ! Um no lol tried it when I was visiting Scandinavia and I couldn't get past the smell let alone eat it.

8. oldgamer dude

Mar 22, 2013
    If it helps night it's got good marks on google play and the developers seem to be on top of things ;) I'll personally be smashing the buy button with fury tonight. But .... I am an RPG nut, and buy most RPGs that hit the App Store post haste. I do agree with a great community it makes sense to gather intel before a purchase you're not completely sure of.

9. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #29 Vovin, Jun 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
    Can you please stop those insults and offenses, you bloody ...?

10. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    I'm looking forward to reading your impressions. Hopefully the games brightness isn't an issue and that the dark screenshots are just at night time or something.

11. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #31 undeadcow, Jun 5, 2013
    One mans "too dark" is another man's atmosphere. To me the screenshots look dreary and rainy consistent with the game's apparently dark necromancer/undead plot (who wants to chase zombies through a field of daisies?). Although, I am infering there is a dark plot based only on the description in App Store of "helping the trouble Montelornians with the rising undead armies" or "dungeons" and "forests" (which never struck me as bright or filled with sunlight). Aside from Zelda many RPGs seem grim consistent with 9th Dawn's screenshot art. The developers compare 9th Dawn with Ultima and the brightness of art seems on par with Lord Garriot's material, which was often darker and more earth toned.

12. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Buddy, I tried it on Android before.
    If you like a RPG with rogue-like plus dual-control elements and smooth pixel gfx in best Ultima tradition, don't hesitate.

13. oldgamer dude

Mar 22, 2013
    Well if you can wait till 11 PM US time I'll be happy to post some quick impressions . Yes some of the screens look dark , but some look ok .

14. oldgamer dude

Mar 22, 2013
    Ha ha thx mate , this makes me even more excited ! No hesitation here :)

15. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    So you've played the iPhone port and can verify that it has no bugs, no issues, nothing at all wrong with it?

I've played plenty of games on other systems that managed to get ported to iOS and the iOS version needed many updates before it was solid. I'm not saying that'll happen here, but it's happened so often that it's easier to sit on the sidelines and wait unless it's just something I have to play and have a burning passion for. If Shenmue was ported, for instance, no question day 1 purchase at full price knowing Sega would have a sale within a few months.

I'm all for atmosphere, I just want to be able to see the characters and details in the game world that is supposedly so big and worthy of being explored. The screenshots and videos just have me worried that I'll get more eyestrain than fun... but I'm soooo hoping that isn't the case as this looks like a good bit of fun. It has a certain gauntlet feel about it.

Heck I can wait days. No rush.

16. oldgamer dude

Mar 22, 2013
    #36 oldgamer dude, Jun 5, 2013

Good points , lots of older RPGs did have darker graphics for atmosphere. Even newer ones like the Witcher do and Balders Gate and etc , etc. C'mon 11. Parts of the video look much lighter , so those darker parts might be at night or in a cave or something.

17. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #37 Vovin, Jun 5, 2013

No. Definately not. As I said, I've tried it on Android for 30 minutes and I loved it. Moreover, the devs care a lot and it has hundreds of 5-star Android ratings.
    I was talking about the game itself, not the iOS port.

I am heavily gaming on iOS for several years now. The buggy ports are a minority compared to the good ports.
    If a dev has a great start with a game, then you can be sure that he cares equally good about it. That's why I am encouraging to to buy sooner than later.
    Because if a game starts meh, why should the dev care any further if there's a possibility that his efforts don't pay?
    If I were a dev, I'd continue with the next game instead of betting money on a half-dead mare.

18. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

You see it perfectly in this video: the world is very huge and the exploration factor immensely. And constantly, you discover something new.

19. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I'm confused by this stance of assuming each iOS game is a buggy mess not worth downloading at all until a number of other people confirm that everything is functional. My opinion is in agreement with Vovin that most games are in good working condition on release with bugs or issues being the exception to the rule, or if present minor. One of the best things about iOS gaming is the indie development teams that are dedicated and response; like Valorware with 9th Dawn persisting in developing a game despite unsuccessful crowdsource funding. Often there seems to be more responsiveness and passion from these smaller studios than in general PC or console gaming.