8lb Gorilla

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Kamazar, Jul 11, 2009.

1. eeenmachine

eeenmachine Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Independent Game Developer
    San Diego, CA
    [​IMG]

You could probably use an existing system Crystal, Open Feint, etc. for high scores pretty easily. In fact twitter support could probably be added on someone's lunch break.

2. marshmonkey

marshmonkey Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    here is something Gavin Bowman just posted http://retrodreamer.com/blog/2009/07/iphone-social-platforms-compared/ - you could probably send him a Tweet if you want to know how much time it took him to integrate something like Open Feint. @GavinBowman

Sucks that your guys are dying to work on an update but can't - that is the benefit of being independent I guess - no handlers!

3. meder87

meder87 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Product Development Manager
    In the world of iOS
    EA continues to spit out the same thing every year and doesn't change much. So yeah I think how it looks to the shareholders that they could care less. EA posts $1 billion annual loss. Left 4 Dead 2 is published by EA. Its pretty much the same as Left 4 Dead 1. People are angry. EA has no problem putting it out. Where are the share holders? That's a lot of money to make a game and have a lot of people angry with it. What if doesn't sell? Here's the L4D 2 boycott group. Almost 40,000 members and the game is going to be $60. Looks to me like there is a lot of money lost. Still looks like the share holders don't care.

4. marshmonkey

Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    L4D2 has very little to do with EA. If you are unhappy about it, you should pester Valve, not EA. EA is simply boxing it up and printing out DVDs - the game was entirely funded and developed by Valve, with no involvement by EA except for getting it onto shelves.

5. Jyaw3

Jyaw3 Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Programmer
    Ontario
    I'll weigh in with my 2 Canadian Pennies

I agree time is money. There are quite a few things that are true, or could be true depending on the exact relationship between EA and 8lb Gorilla. If they are a fully funded company/subsidiary under EA, then I don't think money is really the issue, it's probably more of a thing from EA saying "We expect X number of sales" And so they're trying to hit that goal to further their company/funding and so forth. My issue with this is, if there are certain things like leaderboards which should have been in the planning phase, but weren't and now you're trying to say "we need more sales so we can include it and whatever updates" that to me is a poor lack of planning or oversight in what's "wanted". If they do have to "fend for themselves" then I can see his reason of saying we need more money, so buy our game.

I really am curious about the exact relation between the two. The way I see it right now is, if 8lb Gorilla is really just some 20yo together making games they want or think is fun that's great. In that case I would see them working on the game with updates/features regardless if they've hit expected goals.

It's kinda like "I want more money so I can make the game better" vs "I'll make the game better so I can make more money" Dev's want the first, Gamers want the second.

I wouldn't be surprised if they're already on track to making a profit, it is a very nice looking game.

6. marshmonkey

Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    As far as I can tell, 8lb Gorilla is composed of EA employees - not it's own company. I guess you would call it a "division" of EA.

I'm sure Frosti can clarify if that is not the case.

Hopefully if their games turn out to be hits, they will realize it would be much more fun (and profitable for the developers!) to be developing games on their own instead of for EA! (sorry, I have to plant the indie seed in every corporate developer I meet, I was there once before I saw the light :p )

7. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    While I want this to succeed since it will then mean more interesting updates, I'm not sure I'd really want Ea to start PRETENDING to be some poor little indie developer (I can just see their marketing folk creating a whole viral campaign complete with some fictional developer site and bios).

8. Ajg3

Ajg3 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2009
    Lala Land
    I hope they make good games like sports

9. Dark NRG

Dark NRG Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Filmographer
    #69 Dark NRG, Jul 16, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
    Well Hodapp, I like you, but I'm neither young or inexperienced. I created game startups and tech ancillary companies that did development for Sony out of Carnegie Mellon all the way back to when you got your first period.

I believe your numbers and reasoning are unsound, so we'll have to agree to disagree.

However, I'd like to point out that I think this whole argument is goin up the wrong tree. The api's are there. They don't have to re-invent the wheel, just cut and paste. And again, EA has HUGE server farms. Developing this small game without a leaderboard in this day due to fiscal reasons (which i personally don't even use, so don't care until I get a 3Gs) is a mute point. They'll use more space and processing power for the dev's WoW profiles than this would need (jk)
    The bar is set: some things are just expected in the games that come out, or else it's just junk. (read: peer, bt/leaderboard/wifi capabilities/ etc, all having api's, GREAT api's, givin to them to incorporated into their code)

10. mofard

mofard Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Make simple games = lots of cash in appstore

11. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Dark NRG 1 - 0 Hodapp :D

12. Knight

Knight Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Game Developer
    I just want to point out that it took us 2 days to implement online high scores for our game with just 2 guys, in the evenings, while we had our own full-time jobs.

Its pretty easy actually.

13. iReview

iReview Well-Known Member

May 25, 2009
    Your right, your not coming off as an ignorant kid at all, doing period jokes...

..Yes I have done one of these jokes before BUT THATS NOT THE POINT.

14. frostilucus

frostilucus Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Male
    Game Developer
    Los Angeles
    Yeah... This is a great synopsis.

We're trying to make stuff that's little, fun and different. Sorry if it's rubbing some people the wrong way. I'll see about promo codes for the next game to toss out to the public. Wasn't thinking it was a big deal since the game was only $0.99, but hell, if that's what the world wants, I'll make it happen!

15. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    If what Dark NRG is posting was true, he likely wouldn't have the nearly unlimited amount of time to complain about 99 cent games and joke apps that he seems to have.

16. beachmusic

beachmusic Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2009
    Guys skirmish such as this doesnt make a dent in EA's armor! countless forums had spoken against EA, they are not a well liked company its already a given fact! The only way to speak up against EA is to let your wallet do the talking :mad:!

17. Dark NRG

Dark NRG Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Filmographer
    @iReview Yeah, you're right. I kinda missed that period in my life.
    Oh, God, sorry... I can't stop....No More South Park! :p

@ Hodapp seriously tho, no matter what you say to me about Enviro Bear (now at #92, sorry to hear that;), I shouldn't go there, ah, you know, do or say, like that.... ok, next....

You have more posts than Big Albie dude? Since you joined in Sept., that amounts to an average of 446 posts per month, vs my 133 posts in two months :p
    Anyhow, I'm just rattling you. I did "all that" in 98-2001, during the dot-bomb days. I find the best conversations are with the ppl back-in-the-day trading war stories. I'd love to thro an app together, but alas, I was the pointy-hair dude in Dilbert, not the brilliant coders who worked 20hr days and taught me the finer things in life: MUDS, INDIAN food, and Juno Reactor. But I digress. Now, I'm doin "zombie" film production in Cleveland and PGH. Doesn't take up nearly that much time to go to Horror Conventions.

@Frostilucus I appreciate your empathy. I would appreciate you not holding one simple update hostage better. I will inform you that I will need to consider my future purchases from your dev arm weighed with your customer service and intended maintainance, which could only help you since it keeps your product in front of fresh eyes don't you know ;)

18. iStephen

iStephen Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Ohio
    I bought Zombies & Me yesterday and I must say that I really enjoy this game. It's really fun and polished!

19. Boccaccio

Boccaccio Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Japan
    My review for Zombies & Me just got published on associated content -

Link to review

Reading it again it's maybe a little harsh but I really think it could have been a so much better game. So close and yet so far.

20. Titan-CC

Titan-CC Active Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Custodian/mechanic
    America
    So what happened to "a game a month?". Are they taking more time to make thier second game better? Or is it already submitted? I've heard nothing from lb gorilla for quite some time...