8lb Gorilla

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Kamazar, Jul 11, 2009.

1. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

I was wondering what your policy will be on updates, especially in light of the new game every month goal? Will a game be done, then you move on to the next, or will you continue to update it?

Anyway, game looks inetresting - hopefully it'll be fun to play. Does it have global highscores?

2. frostilucus

frostilucus Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Male
    Game Developer
    Los Angeles
    And damint, I'm trying! No 20 man dev team on this sucker. It's a small effin' team that did their own thing. I think we've made something special with Zombie & Me, but hey, you're the user and will tell me if it's a dud or hot rockin' gaming paradise.

Everyone that's rating the game by the video- Looks like I need to learn final cut pro! I did that video yesterday morning on iMovie... it's eeeeh, not the greatest, but it gets the point across. Didn't want to do the Star Wars type "holy shit, here's the most awesome Ep1 evar via sextacular trailer" and set expectations through the roof. This game is small- something you can pickup and play for 20 seconds but has surprising great legs- you'll keep at in and an hour will vanish. The random bar test (go to a bar, have random people play your game for free drinks - yes, devs, this works) was positive! Everyone dug it. But hell, they were drunk!

Everyone, when the game is up, let me know what you think. Be brutally honest (which I'm sure you will be- love these forums).

3. frostilucus

frostilucus Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Male
    Game Developer
    Los Angeles
    Policy is set by yours truly. If they is enough demand for an update, I'll make it happen! (Put on salesman hat) Tell your buddies about the game- I'm the one man marketing team and need all of the help I can get. Seriously, it's crazy go nuts fun.

Damn, was that two strong bad references in one thread? Too much SB Wii game...

4. eeenmachine

eeenmachine Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Independent Game Developer
    San Diego, CA
    Your lack of a marketing team won't matter when you're featured by Apple :p Game looks great.

5. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    lol

Man...you don't need to go "low budget" with the marketing.

I know you want to avoid setting expectations too high...but you may have just set them too low. Then again, maybe that's by design. Set it low, then if the gameplay is good, and TA and other sites pick up on said quality, the word will be spread.

Still though...that vid was just...man that was lackluster. And the game has bombs! And explosions! How the heck does one make friggin' explosions boring?

Not a good vid, unless your point was setting expectations so low that Lucifer is wondering just what the hell he accidentally stepped in on his daily stroll through the bowels of hell.

Was that too much?

6. CDubby94

CDubby94 Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Betty White
    Any Homestar fan is a friend of mine.

7. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    @frostilucus
    I like the basic concept but always want MORE MORE MORE! I'm soft for wacky powerups but, at the same time, understand that may detract from the game's simplicity (not that the game is simple to do well as is, but the current mechanics, as shown in the video, are very straight forward). You may want to consider an alternative mode in future updates with powerups and twists. The original would be Classic mode and this wacky new deal could be Arcade mode. :)

8. dyepbr

dyepbr Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    i see nothing wrong with people posting impressions based on the video uploaded by the developer. they are still just impressions (judgements even), whether they are positive or negative. what if you were excited about an much anticipated upcoming app from a video, but someone told you not to be excited because you have not had a chance to actually play it yet.

if someone was underwhelmed by the video, then so be it... i think offering advice is great for both developers and players in the long run.

9. Kris Jones

Kris Jones Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Producer/Publisher/Designer of Mobile Games
    America
    Frostilicious,

Are you a one man team or do you have more than just yourself in 8lb Gorilla?

Also, were you created by EA or did you just sign up with them?

10. iReview

iReview Well-Known Member

May 25, 2009
    Their a small group of 20..something year olds I think

11. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Sure, but were they plucked out out of the air by a big muckity muck at EA much like some Super Group (like Journey) or did they already have a project going that they then showed EA?

12. iReview

iReview Well-Known Member

May 25, 2009
    Why are you asking me?
    Haha no im just kidding. Sorry I have no idea.

13. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    No clue, you tried to answer it so now you're "it"! :D

14. frostilucus

frostilucus Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Male
    Game Developer
    Los Angeles
    Beat me to it! Just got up (in PST time zone) and can't believe Astana has 3 in the top 5. What a stacked team! But I'm ADD... Yes, the game is out!!! Effin' mega super excited! Calling everyone to ask them to download and send over thoughts- please do the same! Just like some sort of touring band, we're nothing without your support! (Lots of exclamation marks in that paragraph...)

To all about the video comments- Next time: Final Cut Pro :) Maybe I'll cut one tomorrow with more awesome text like twittertracker and bay-esque explosions that are so huge, the Transformers will sit back and say: "shiiiiit"

One man marketing is hard not to get around, at least for now. Maybe a kickass street team is in order?

15. dominator246

dominator246 Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Not to thrilled with the new game, already deleted it. Anyone else feel like there should be more sound effects in there?

16. colbertj

colbertj Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    College Professor
    Massachusetts
    I'm curious what your mindset will be when creating games under this guise. Are you trying to maximize the potential of this platform for gaming given the iphone/ipod's advantages and limitations? Or are you looking for the game that will sell the best? I guess the answer could be both, but I would like to see development head in a direction that has this unique platform in mind and nothing else.

Perhaps that's a stupid question given that EA is behind it all.

In any event, the game looks very fun and I love this idea and will definitely be reserving a bit of cash to go towards your future developments!

17. hdgreen

hdgreen Well-Known Member

id like to hear from mike on what they have planned for the future. Will be very interested to see where these guys will end up going with the backing of EA but with an indie mind-set.

18. Monogamie

Monogamie New Member

Jul 11, 2009
    At the very least, get some cheesy transitions in there. Keyhole Wipe! Star Wipe!

I can't resist a good keyhole wipe. It just adds so much mystery.

19. P0tent1al

P0tent1al Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2009
    European Account Manager
    United Kingdom
    Playing Zombies and me (already replied on the game thread) and the request for updates begin.

This game desperately needs an online leaderboard, and I would love a few power ups around the level to give the gameplay some variety.

And a few new locations would be cool.. lure Zombies into muddy and frozen areas, stuff like that...