Universal 8bit War (by Emil Zeilon)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Aug 20, 2014.

1. EmilZeilon

EmilZeilon Member

Aug 21, 2014
    I really appreciate all you guys taking the time to comment on stuff you would like to see in the game. To be honest, I cut a lot of corners when I developed this game, simply because I didn't think anyone except my friends would care about it and I just wanted to be done with it.

Thanks for your thought out post, anabolicMike, and it's cool that you're keeping my wallet in mind too. :)

I'm currently working hard on my next game, so I won't get around to updating 8bitWar for a while. But who knows, maybe I'll release an expansion with a TON of extra stuff in the future, I'll make sure to post about it here if I do!

2. Lazer Kat

Lazer Kat Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    It's your choice, obviously...but if you put time and energy into this gameyou could have a REAL HIT here!

specifically the following:

- local multiplayer
    - online multiplayer
    - Skirmish mode
    - weapon pickups from fallen soldiers
    - power ups (shield, stronger swords, speed increase, etc.)
    - character level up features
    - Gamecenter

Sometimes you have to decide between quality and quantity. This game could be special. It just feels like this is more of a mock up idea than the completed product that's ready for public consumption.

3. EmilZeilon

EmilZeilon Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Your last sentence hit pretty close to home - it's pretty much exactly what this game is! I'll have to ponder that for a bit, maybe this is something worth pursuing further before moving on. Thanks for taking your time to write either way, I appreciate it more than you probably think.

4. hereforthelols

Jan 26, 2016
    Great games

I love all the 8bitwar games... I just finished the nether version and now I'm working on apocalyps. Thanks for a great game :)

5. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Amen! You typed out exactly how I feel. Dev you should listen to this advice. I'd love a skirmish mode as well as game center. This game could really be something kick ass.

Billy

6. EmilZeilon

EmilZeilon Member

Aug 21, 2014
    #26 EmilZeilon, Jan 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
    hereforthelols: Thanks for playing, really glad that you enjoy my games. :)

LordShad0wz: I'm guessing that you mean some kind of ladder system om Game Center, or online matchmaking? I could see how that would be a good addition. It is already possible to play on Game Center against people on your friend list, though not against strangers online.

As it stands right now, 8bitWar is mostly a fun little side project for me, and the amount of work it would entail to add those features is too staggering for me to consider right now. Maybe in the future. I am, however, releasing a new 8bitwar game with new units and new capabilities, so for those of you who simply want more levels, I got you covered. Coming up with new units is one of the more fun things when working on these games. :)

The next game will be called 8bitwar: Steampunk, and I aim to release it within the next month!

7. hereforthelols

Jan 26, 2016
    Woohoo! Can't wait to play :p

Anyways, I was just wondering if you could help me. I set up a game with my friend on game center... I went first (fog of war is on), set up my units, and then my friend set up her units and lost (it appears she can press yes to start the battle). I got one point, but then I didn't get a chance to change my units. She just got to change her army around until she figured out how to beat mine. Is that how we're supposed to play? One person sets up the level and the other has to try and beat it? If that's how, awesome. But I just wanted to check that I wasn't missing something here. Thanks :)

8. hereforthelols

Jan 26, 2016
    Oops, I can see how everyone can view how many times I've posted... is it obvious that I only joined these forums to comment about 8bitwar? :D

9. EmilZeilon

EmilZeilon Member

Aug 21, 2014
    That's exactly how I programmed it to behave. :) My thinking was that if both sides could change their units each round, then it would be more of a game of chance rather than strategy, since you never really know what the other player is sending your way.

So, the idea is that the very first round is kind of random, one player will have the superior unit composition, partly because of luck. That player earns a point, and the losing player will now have the benefit of knowing what units they will encounter. For each attempt that doesn't work, the "reigning champ" gets one more point, until the losing side finally comes up ahead, and the roles are reversed. This continues until someone gets enough victories to win the game.

Did I explain that clearly? And what do you think of this kind of setup? :)

10. hereforthelols

Jan 26, 2016
    Yup, you explained it really well :) I think it's great because it gives us a bit of extra play - we get to make our own levels for friends to try and conquer. I like how you can block some units from being used, and also that you can change the amount of gold you start off with - it makes the game really flexible and interesting to play.

I noticed that in most of the official levels, you can't recreate the enemy's units because the enemy has more gold than you (to make the level harder, which is great), but would you ever consider adding a function in multiplayer where you can make the teams have uneven amounts of gold, instead of both teams starting off with the same amount? I know some people might just be silly with it and make one team start off with pretty much no money at all, but that would be their problem, right? If they don't want to play properly, they're the ones who're missing out.

I also like the fog of war idea because toggling it on means you can make the level just a bit harder, because your opponent has to try and remember which units you've used and where they are positioned. I've also been using sandbox mode to find the solutions to my own puzzles so that I can give my friend hints on how to beat it - sandbox was a smart feature to include.

11. EmilZeilon

EmilZeilon Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Actually yes. I had a handicap function in mind, where one of the players could have more gold at their disposal than the other. I asked a couple of my friends if they'd use it, but they said that it didn't matter to them so I scrapped it. Might be worth looking into if I decide to create an entirely new version of this game later on.

Glad you enjoy the sandbox mode. It was actually initially and idea that came out of this very thread some time ago, so I implemented it. :)

I have to say thank you, for taking the time to write about your thoughts and ideas for 8bitwar. It feels pretty great to hear that something I made quite a while back is reaching people and getting them excited about it. :)

12. hereforthelols

Jan 26, 2016
    No problem, happy to be of service :)