Universal 8bit Doves (by Nitrome)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Lazer Kat

Lazer Kat Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Love the art style, but the parental warnings sold me

2. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    That's the kind of statement they need to quote on the game, I love it! :D

3. Lazer Kat

Lazer Kat Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    #23 Lazer Kat, Aug 28, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
    • Don’t worry parents this game contains no In app purchases!

Important Message for Parents

This game may include:

- Direct links to social networking websites that are intended for an audience over the age of 13.

- Direct links to the internet that can take players away from the game with the potential to browse any web page.

- Cross promotion of Nitrome products.

As a parent who's two young kids use the iDevices of the house as much as me, I'm so put off by developers who prey on the vulnerability of children, and little things like this^ really push me over the edge if I'm on the fence. That's awesome of them.
    This is why I buy all of Toca Bocas releases.

Anyway. Haven't got to play this yet, but I will leave imps later.

4. D4rgolf

D4rgolf Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2011
    On the off-chance that the devs are checking on this thread, this game desperately needs two improvements:

1.) Ability to replay single levels. I don't care if you make me beat the whole level pack three times first but I want to be able to choose from all the levels I've alread beaten. Going through a level pack and at the end discovering you missed a single dove is rather frustrating. I get that it might be *more retro* the way it is now but I don't think that a faux-retro game has to mimick all that is old just for the sake of it.

2.) More levels. This might already be a long-term goal but as is the game is over too fast.

Despite those two points, I really enjoy the heck out of this game and I'm glad that I spent the money on it.
    Even at its current state I urge you all to get it.

5. Nitrome

Nitrome Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2012
    Managing Director
    London, UK
    We are indeed reading the thread :)

1) Noted! We felt the game had a certain flow so the intention is that people play the packs as sets sort of like a racing game where you have cups. That said I'm sure we could add to the interface a little and let people that want to replay any level they wish.

2)We planned the game to make adding more levels a realistic task for us. We learned from our last game Icebreaker that if we make packs too epic that it takes so long to make an update that everyone has forgotten you game by the time you put one out. This time we wanted to make a game that is was possible for us to support.

Though we haven't committed to anything with any sort of 'coming soon' type set up the idea is (assuming the game does well enough) that we could get a new level pack up within a few weeks and keep supporting it from there.

6. D4rgolf

D4rgolf Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2011
    Great to see you guys respond so quickly.

Those Icebreaker level-packs were "epic" indeed - I still haven't finished the Kraken.

Btw., I really like the responsiveness of the controls - whenever I crash into an obstacle, i can be sure that it was my fault, not the game beeing a jerk.

As a closing remark:
    I am enjoying the game the way it is balanced now - no need for IAPs of any kind. Please keep it that way ;)

You are great at what you do.
    Party on and be excellent to each other!

7. Nitrome

Jul 17, 2012
    Managing Director
    London, UK
    A sad fact is that only about 1% of people finished the Kraken pack. In retrospect we put so much into the initial release of the game that people were not so inclined to play the extra levels we added. This is another reason we have tried to not over bloat the initial release of 8 Bit Doves. By keeping it lean we can rapidly add more and we can adjust the new content more from feedback we get.

8. raravan

raravan Well-Known Member

May 18, 2014
    This game main hero reminds me of Hey Arnold. Pigeon-man.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

____
    P.S. This is my favourite character of Hey Arnold's series.

9. Snooptalian

Snooptalian Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Any achievements for this one? Also what is this Retry game I've seen mentioned in this thread a couple times?

10. Nitrome

Jul 17, 2012
    Managing Director
    London, UK
    Were adding some achievements to the first update that should be coming next week :)

11. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    I'm trying to remember if I'm one of the 1%! I'm sure I didn't manage to perfect every level. I know I replayed an awful lot of the earlier content to unlock it after I redownloaded.

A Rovio game which was soft launched a while back, but is yet to see full release.

12. birslip

birslip Active Member

Nov 21, 2011
    Hi everyone! I just wanted to let you know that the game is on sale ($2.99 -> $0.99) to celebrate the release of Endless Doves.
    So get it now it's not going to last long :)

13. Eoghann

Eoghann Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    IT Guy/Graphic Designer/Gamer
    New York
    Why every single Nitrome game hasn't been ported to ios saddens me.

14. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    Nitrome has the most addicting games.
    Would be cool to have a retro game of the week and feature these great games at some point