Universal 868-HACK by Michael Brough

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Gabrien, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    Thanks for the detailed reviews and discussion, all. That plus the vid (and my love of Zaga-33) have moved this game from my "have to grab" list to my "grabbed it" list! Now I know how to spend my Sunday.

I think I can spare the 6MB :)

2. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    I'm going to pick up Corrypt because of you! It has been awhile since I've played a game as much as I have been playing 868-HACK. I even re-downloaded Zaga 33 to give that another spin.

3. mthanded

mthanded New Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I have been a lurker on this site for a long time and at this point I would say that iOS is where I play most of my games(even though I own 3 modern gaming consoles). However, 868-hack is the game that drove me to create an account here. Seriously what an amazing game. I just got to 49 points on 4 runs and I still have 2 more progs to unlock.

Seriously this is like a hybrid between spelunky and chess. Both things I have been insanely addicted to at some point in my life. What a great game.

4. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Cool. :)
    Just make sure you stick with it past the point where it might seem "ok, but just another puzzle game".

5. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    I beat sector 8 and I feel like a king.

6. ElectricGrandpa

ElectricGrandpa Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    That is a pretty great way to describe it, actually!

I had one run at 72 tonight (that I probably could have made 78 but I didn't want to risk it!) and then the next run I was at ~50 in sector 7 but then screwed up my timing against a cryptog and died, ugh :p

7. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    I'm yet to buy this, but with you guys speaking of making it to levels and sectors, is this one of those games where each play you have to make it up to certain levels. Like start at level 1 every time. No general progression through saves, but more like start at one, play, make it to level 5, do something silly and die, and have to start all over again.
    Is this one of those types of games?

8. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Kind of, in a weird way.

A single session is your run through 8 progressively more difficult sectors (difficulty dictated by the number of baddies in the sector from the very start of that sector in addition to whatever baddies you still had hanging around from the last level). If you manage to make it to the exit of the 8th sector you "win" (and will now have the chance to see a new program in all future runs). Now the next run you make you'll start all over again from scratch with that program you just unlocked on your last run. If you manage to win a second time in a row you'll have started a "streak" and all of you successful wins in a row scores are combined until you finally die and your streak score is reset. So the game tracks both your best single run score and your top combined successful runs in a row scores. Like single missions combining into a campaign of sorts.

9. mthanded

mthanded New Member

Sep 9, 2013
    In roguelikes "you" do level up over the long term. By "you" I mean the player. You learn strategies that prolong your life. Also, in this game you unlock more abilities as time goes on and they also impact your playstyle.

10. hippiefahrzeug

hippiefahrzeug Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    portrait mode?

This may seem strange, but I don't buy landscape only games (I insist on playing with one hand while in public transportation. :)

So... does this have a portrait mode? The screenshots look like landscape only, but I don't see a reason why it couldn't support portrait mode.

11. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Landscape only. That said, it's still quite easy to play 1 handed. I'm not sure why he didn't use the same setup as Zaga 33 where it goes to portrait and the sidebar goes to the bottom (with text sideways).

12. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Exactly what I was going to say, Zaga 33, his somewhat similar Sci-Fi dungeon romp DOES support both landscape and portrait.

13. jonbro

jonbro Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2010
    right hand at luckyframe
    my guess would be that laying out ui controls is enough of a pain for one screen layout (x2 for the ipad versions), and laying it out for the other rotation would be extra pain.

14. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Oh, this reminds me, is there a limit to how many programs you can have installed on your rig on a run? I've never really pushed it but would hate to find out the hard way when some rarely used program blocks me from adding a key one. I know there are 20+ possible in the game but doubt you could ever actually have ALL installed.

15. hippiefahrzeug

hippiefahrzeug Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Thanks Royce for clearing that up.

It is a pain, but I just don't understand why these games give landscape such a preference. I often observe people holding their phones in landscape with their big hands in an uncomfortable way and it looks silly.

Especially, if 868-hack can be played with one hand, it would just be the ideal addition to my collection of casually-in-the-train-playable-games-while-still-looking-relatively-cool-(-and-not-nerdy-at-all)-games list, such as slay, 10000000, dungeon raid, wopr, etc.

16. ElectricGrandpa

ElectricGrandpa Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    You *can* actually play it in portrait, you just have to read the stuff sideways. It may sound kinda silly, but it's really not that hard, especially since the game is turn based so you can take as much time to read stuff as you want (that said, i still play in landscape most of the time).

17. Drakeer Melkhor

Drakeer Melkhor Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Freelance
    Spain
    +1 about playing this game on potrait mode too

18. Michael Brough

Michael Brough Active Member

May 5, 2012
    because basically every other computer system in existence runs in landscape. it's actually pretty time-consuming to make sure everything works both ways and for someone like me, doing everything myself with limited resources, i'm going to pick the orientation that works for PC as well.

if anything sells enough for me to pay someone else to go through and fill out nice-to-have-but-not-essential details like this then i'll get on it. but for now it would directly take time away from making games and it's not a top priority for me. sorry!

19. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Good point as the only stuff you'll ever need to read sideways are the program titles and 1 digit numbers in firewalls. The text is incredibly minimal in this game.

20. Michael Brough

Michael Brough Active Member

May 5, 2012
    there's a limit of ten, which is how many fit in the sidebar. when you add a new one it pushes out the oldest..