Universal 80 Days (by inkle)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Jul 30, 2014.

1. inkle

inkle Well-Known Member

Hey there! Translation is more work than you might think... it's not just the 500k word-script, but also the logic that stitches sentences together from pieces, on the fly, based around what the player has done. It's a shame but translation is most likely impossible, even to a language that's close to English.

Maybe our next game should use just pictures! But we quite like words.

2. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    Only two words : just amazing :D

3. Unstablefan

Unstablefan Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 22, 2013
    I'm having trouble remembering...did the dev at one point release a map showing every connection? Thanks!

4. ktern

ktern Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Just managed it in 70 on my second game. Fun times! I'll be sure to give it another go soon :)

5. colinkloecker

colinkloecker Member

May 8, 2012
    61 days on my third try! http://www.inklestudios.com/80days/journeys/?id=E5uYiYB1TH&playerName=colin

For my next run I want to see how many cities of the 144 I can visit. Inspiring work, inkle!

6. Paul Ash

Paul Ash Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Don't drop words please! I still think it is a pity your fantastic games cannot reach even more people, but congratulations at what you have achieved. Waiting for Sorcery 3!

7. ktern

ktern Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
  8. Game.PN

Game.PN Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2013
    Going to the prison called "School"
    Earth,Milky Way
    Travel to Yokohama to Honolulu if you want some mystery!

9. suzanimated

suzanimated Member

Aug 3, 2014
    IS there any other way? I haven't found a way to get across the Pacific yet without taking that route. I also haven't figured out how to get to New Zealand and Australia.

10. andrewsGF50

andrewsGF50 New Member

Aug 4, 2014
  11. Riotgirl

Riotgirl Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2012
    UK
    Different cities have different routes. I went via Australia across the Pacific on my 3rd attempt and circumnavigated the World in 73 days via 26 countries.

You need to think about your route several cities in advance, as well as explored and conversed with different characters to find out about a route before it becomes available.

Tip: certain items will display routes via specific conveyances when you obtain them.

12. pansori

pansori Member

May 24, 2014
  13. Game.PN

Apr 18, 2013
    Earth,Milky Way
    Try going to take a different route maybe?!

14. Best75

Best75 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2012
    How many words roughy are there in total?

15. suzanimated

suzanimated Member

Aug 3, 2014
    ^^
    -_-

16. Game.PN

Apr 18, 2013
    Earth,Milky Way
    Gonna play today so if I know where to get to Australia I'll let you know

17. suzanimated

suzanimated Member

Aug 3, 2014
    I think I saw somewhere that it hit 500K? Not sure where I saw it though, so not really sure.

18. shlpd

shlpd New Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Awesome game

I really enjoy this game. The setting is smart, the dialogue is interesting, the different story lines , great stuff. Finished it a few times with variations from 57 days to 80 days.

I was wondering how to access more cities in North America. I never get anything beyond the railway from San Fran to New York and Burlington and such, but Chicago never opens. Any ideas?

19. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    You probably saw it in the dev's post on the previous page of this thread :)

20. ktern

ktern Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    One trick that I'm using to save a bit of money (for faster modes of transit) is to "sleep rough" by hitting the clock until 2AM. You lose 10 health, but don't cough up 100 pounds for a hotel. That can add up significantly.

You can actually see the route in the link in my post (here it is again), for what that's worth.

If you want to beat that (I've done 51 by now), I recommend skipping Cambridge at the beginning (taking the original route to Paris), since that slows you down a little, and trying to cross America. That takes a bit of finesse and money, but if you get to New York, you can very quickly reach London directly for only 3900 pounds.