Universal 80 Days (by inkle)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Valentia

Valentia Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Jan 20, 2009
    Female
    Retired!
    California
    Aw, thank you! :)

2. BohemianCoast

BohemianCoast Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2009
    I got unstuck by repeatedly going out of the game, going back in, clicking on things. But that round was rubbish. And the next. But I've just finished on 57 days! Hopefully you will all see it as a @bohemiancoast ghost.

I had the Cambridge start option, took it and hence to Kristiania. Then fairly ordinary transport to Stockholm then Moscow. Trans-Siberian Express almost all the way though got thrown off (and thrown in jail) at Vladivostok. Korean boat to Yokohama then Experimental Hovercraft to Honolulu (though without solving the murder). Banana Boat to San Francisco, train to New York, Airship to Reykjavik, airship to London. Whew. Entirely financed through trading, and I just bought everything cheap and sold it whenever it looked reasonable.

3. j.e3diu

j.e3diu Active Member

May 28, 2014
    Okay I just read the app description one more time and seriously, four people? You guys are my new role models.

4. clarsonx

clarsonx Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    I had the same problem in Reykjavik. Ran out of money and the game didn't end. Ran Foggs health down to 0 and the game did not end. Was expecting some summary screen to signify a failed journey, not an endless loop.

Otherwise a fun game.

5. girlorboy1985

girlorboy1985 New Member

Aug 1, 2014
    #65 girlorboy1985, Aug 1, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
    I feel really stupid, but upon my arrival in Paris I have no clue what to do. I can sell stuff, go to the bank and sleep in a hotel. I can click on any other city, but I fail to see how to actually travel. I am probably completely overlooking something, but there is just no travel option to be found. Does anyone have a clue?

edit: figured it out, I had to press 'explore', but originally did not want to to save time.

6. Papa Deuce

Papa Deuce Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    Haha, no pressure, but I just bought this game.... sounds fun..... have not tried it yet.... but if this game is not at all fun for me, I think I have to give up on iOS gaming. So many games SEEM like they would be fun, then I DL them, and don't enjoy them at all..... and I am fairly picky as to spending even 5 bucks. I think that is mostly because I have had so many duds.

So here is hoping 80 days is a lot of fun. :D

7. gmattergames

gmattergames Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Inkle-insta-buy!

8. Lazarusdeath

Lazarusdeath Active Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Teacher/ publisher
    #68 Lazarusdeath, Aug 1, 2014
    Game plus mode

First off sorry about the comment about needing sound effects and music as i have discovered that it does have both, I just couldn't hear as I was playing in bed with a fan blowing on me. I just finished successfully in 76 days having visited 25 cities and it was an amazing and epic journey I must say. I think it would be cool to make the game continuous however. For example, after you reach london successfully or not, have a paragraph about fogg approaching you the following year and asking you to try to complete the journey again, but this time let the reader decide what they want the parameters to be. It could be that they have to make the journey in fewer days, or they must beat the previous years record, or they must visit x amount of cities, or finish with x amount of gold, or return with specific items from various cities etc. I think this would make the game even better and give it even more replay value. Just a thought. Brilliant game.

9. Bowflexman

Bowflexman Well-Known Member

May 9, 2011
    Can anyone tell me how this compares to the sorcery! Games? I have the first Sorcery! And love it. Trying to decide between 80 days and Sorcery! 2.

10. Rebusmind

Rebusmind Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Game Designer
    Berlin, Germany
    I'd say play both. :p
    But in all seriousness: Sorcery! 2 was a lot (!) more complex and fun than the first part (which I also liked a lot), I enjoyed it so much, really can't wait for the third part. 80 days plays a lot different, you really feel on a big journey around the world, which makes the story much grander, but it also has less detail overall.
    So I'd say play Sorcery! 2 first if you want something like the first part. But make sure not to miss 80 Days, as it's a great game in its own right. :)

11. jamesmcadams82

jamesmcadams82 Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Well, I'm just an embarrassment! 88 days and I'm still only in Port-Au-Prince. Genuinely captivated though.

The only game that's given me this kind of vibe before is The Last Express, but that's much less welcoming. Can't wait for my next play-through.

12. inkle

inkle Well-Known Member

Have to say, the Last Express is my personal all-time favourite adventure game ever; and we definitely had it mind while designing the game. Though, yes. It is a bit hard.

13. Nicola Salmoria

Nicola Salmoria Well-Known Member

Hear, hear. The Last Express is my favorite adventure game of all time, too. It had a magic that for me was unequalled... until now. Well done!

14. bluewomble88

bluewomble88 Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    What does the + - numbers mean when choosing transportation like cars, airships etc? There are 2 numbers next to the health symbol, always one positive and one negative.

Thanks.

15. girlorboy1985

girlorboy1985 New Member

Aug 1, 2014
    #75 girlorboy1985, Aug 1, 2014
    Is there any way to replenish Fogg's health?

edit: too quick in asking, there is as a matter of fact. :)

16. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Any app that has Les Claypool's portrait as the icon deserves attention ;)

The game also sounds cool, so yeah :)

Attached Files:

17. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    It's really amazing how you guys take the concept of the book and turn it into this totally awesome interactive experience. I figured it would be good but I'm really just blown away at how good it is. Thank you so much for this gem and here's to many new adventures in the future!

18. abhimir

abhimir Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Really good game. My first play through ended in Singapore on a game bug, but on the second play through I completed the round-the-world trip in 66 days, but only visited 17/144 cities. I cannot wait to play many more times and explore more cities. This game great replayability.

19. coccodrillo

coccodrillo Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Exactly same problem here: stuck in Singapore. This has to be a bug!