Universal 80 Days (by inkle)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Jul 30, 2014.

1. joethephish

joethephish Member

Jul 16, 2014
    Yup! The "multiplayer" layer is more of a lightly connected live feed, so isn't necessary for play. You see ghosts, like in a racing game, which are refreshed from the latest journeys that people have been on. But you don't need to be connected to enjoy the game.

Nope. See above - they're more like ghosts. 80 Days is primarily a single player game, but with the ability to be competitive if you wish, and get hints from other players' routes.

VERY. You might pass through roughly 20-25 cities on an average trip, and there are 150 in the game. And there's lots of variation within the journeys and cities too.

2. NiceDude

NiceDude Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Thanks Joe! That 148App interview sold me on the game, and your replies here only confirmed that I'll definitely be getting this tonight

One more question: with a lot of choose your own adventure games I play, even something like The Walking Dead, I don't usually like to replay because second, third, etc. playthroughs can feel so artificial. Just picking new dialogue and choices because I didn't pick them last time, rather than a sense of exploring new paths. From the replies of your answer and other info, it sounds like 80 Days circumvents that. What's your opinion on that?

3. inkle

inkle Well-Known Member

Making an interactive story that's replayable is one of the things we really wanted to nail with this game. So on your second/third playthrough you can go somewhere completely different - if you went to India before, go through Russia - or Africa instead; or mix and match; and there different ways through each of those anyway. And each playthrough is "remixed", with different items, timings and content.

It helps that we've got a huge amount of content "to spare"; something like the Walking Dead is pretty tightly linear - strong story, but if you replay, you start to see how it fits together.

4. tsargeant3012

tsargeant3012 Active Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2012
    Bought... now I can go to sleep! Will be playing this tomorrow! Seems a shame that it's so cheap though, with expectations and a proven track record, not to mention no IAP's, I would have thought doubling the cost would be fair. Still, can hardly complain for getting what I see as an absolutely incredible deal.

5. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Making an offline game that has no IAP is a win for me any day.

Great devs all around.

6. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    I'm just very glad to finally see a lot of devs now realising that all we basically want is IAP free full games. Means I will be opening my wallet a lot more now.

7. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    #27 ste86uk, Jul 31, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
    Purchased but sadly in work and can't download and play for 5 more hours : (

Edit: anybody been on much yet?

8. WeAreLegion

WeAreLegion Member

May 30, 2014
    Downloading right now! Saw it pop at 11:01 EST and nearly shattered my screen mashing buy.

9. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Do you have to appreciate Verne to enjoy this? Liked his concepts but not a fan of his writing.

10. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    It looks very interesting. I'm a sucker for games like this 80 Days I've always loved the story. I'd like some audio and music and voice overs that would be nice. Looks like there's plenty of reading and decision making. If I like this ill probable buy Socery also. NO IAP's and one payment for the full game is a deal breaker for me so I'll probable buy it.

11. kuryushibo

kuryushibo Active Member

May 8, 2012
    Anyone know how long one 80 day trip takes to finish?

12. stolenlogic

stolenlogic Active Member

Sep 25, 2013
    I thought it might be good but it has blown away my expectations. Very simple game play, but amazingly intriguing. You want to keep playing. Totally worth the price.

13. Hypocrypha

Hypocrypha Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2014
    For the life of me I can't find a video of gameplay that's more that 2 mins long, not even from Sanuku. So I'll wait.

14. j.e3diu

j.e3diu Active Member

May 28, 2014
    I've waited for this since it was announced and had my expectations high. They were easily met, and exceeded. I finished my first adventure in 79 days. It was awesome. Really. I don't want to tell anything specific but there were times when I didn't believe we could make it and times were I was sure we'd arrive before the 70th day. The writing is spectacular. Love it

15. Unstablefan

Unstablefan Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 22, 2013
    Oh my god I got Bombay and Calcutta confused, thought I was past Calcutta, sold all sorts of Calcutta loot, and now am finally there ARGH.

This game is great. :)

16. Rennerd

Rennerd Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2014
    Guessing this can't be played on iPod fourth gen.

17. Lazarusdeath

Lazarusdeath Active Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Teacher/ publisher
    Absolutely amazing

I read this for an hour last night and had only visited 10 of 144 cities. The writing is great, and it is awesome discovering little secrets and cool characters while exploring the cities. Fun to buy and sell items for profit in different cities. I even was dreaming in 80 days format last night, I cannot recommend this game enough. It's worth 10 bucks easily. Only think I would say is that it could use some music and simple sound effects to add to atmosphere.

18. inkle

inkle Well-Known Member

Um, have you checked if your mute switch is on? ;

19. kurtalb1

kurtalb1 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Michigan
  20. kurtalb1

kurtalb1 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Michigan