Universal 80 Days (by inkle)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Atticus

Atticus Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2015
    I agree. And yes, the
    Coral Sphere
    is on the Batavia-Brisbane route, so it's strange I didn't try it before. My method was getting a 3-suitcase worth of goods (the max I could carry with myself to Brisbane) as early as possible and I guess I was always full by the time I got there. Will try that one for sure.

2. Wigmaster999

Wigmaster999 Member

Dec 30, 2015
    I've tried a few more of the items, namely the coral sphere, rhino horn, and the African ivory cup thing. I'm working on another run, here goes!

Also, are we sure that just telling the submariner that the Courier is in Brisbane doesn't count? And that being trustworthy doesn't matter? As far as I can tell there are three main changeable intervention points in Brisbane: the Murri girl in the hotel, the pre-trip [the walk to Moreton Bay] submariner meeting, and the post-trip meeting with the submariner. Nothing jumps out at me, though. How do you know this is even possible?

3. Atticus

Sep 6, 2015
    Here: http://www.ign.com/wikis/80-days/Tips_and_Tricks

Under the 'Many More' headline there's a line saying 'Save a sailor from an amputation.'

Further fuelling suspicions is the fact that there's a newspaper clipping soon after you leave Brisbane in any direction suggesting an unfortunate fate to the submariner. (Basically, he dies from complications.)

As far as I'm aware this is the only adventure of the game still unlocked (adventure = story bits and choices that unlock something, routes, money, trade good, etc.)

Earlier discussions on this forum concluded that the most probable way to solve this mystery is to get the Murri girl to entrust us with delivering her letter - we wager (haha) that once she does, she will tell us where the Courier is and that would bring up some new options in the next morning, when we finally meet the submariner who is having a similar problem.

For the Murri girl, the closest one could get is telling her 'I will take it for you,' (obviously,) then 'A man of some standing' I think, and then she asks why should she should trust you - and without the correct prerequisite(s) all three choices lead to failure. Embarrassing.

4. Wigmaster999

Wigmaster999 Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Sorry about this, but I just created a twitter account to talk with Inkle studios. Here's the discussion: http://imgur.com/SndHwAh

Basically, you've just tried nearly every item for nothing. What other submariner is there? There's a submarine running from Pitcairn Island, the Leyden, and then 20,000 Leagues. Perhaps Atlantis has a submariner? But it says sailor on the IGN post: Not many sailors are getting amputated. If it's not Brisbane, then what? I've found a man with one leg in Bhayi, but he's already been amputated.

5. Atticus

Sep 6, 2015
    #345 Atticus, Jan 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
    Ah, thank you.

I have asked both Inkle and Meg Jayanth on Twitter about it a few months ago, but I got no reply.

I felt I was left with no other choice but to brute force it - I did not do that "nothing" for fun.

Nevertheless, the game is on, I guess.

I think we should begin with vaderence's map on Steam and consider all boat routes - bar those we know for sure and/or done and know that it is just impossible to have something like that occuring on it.

EDIT: But what we already know is that it's in the vanilla game - no Arctic expansion or Season 2. The IGN article is that old, AFAIR.

6. Atticus

Sep 6, 2015
    #346 Atticus, Jan 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
    I have examined the map and found - outside of Europe and the Middle East which I have not looked at thoroughly yet - only a handful of susceptible ship routes. (After ruling out those I know very well by now and those that were created in the expansions.)

These are:
    - Honolulu-Panama City,
    - Bhayi-Saint Denis (diverted),
    - Antananarivo-Madras/Colombo,
    - Stone Town-Aden,
    - and a bunch around Yokohama and Vladivostok.

The
    Bhayi
    man is a good tip (although I don't know if we can meet with him earlier to perhaps prevent his fate) and I can't remember if we can
    help one of the Tokoloho's crew when it's hit by the Nautilus.
    The others routes above, I have absolutely no recollection of. And, of course, there are the potential European and Middle Eastern routes as well as potentially a lot of ports (not just routes).

But these are my main 'suspects' outside the old continent and the Arab world.

EDIT: And the most obvious good news is that we don't know if this 'challenge' is as hard to complete as some of the other ones, especially what we thought to be the Brisbane one. Who knows, it might be rather easy, once we find out exactly where it is.

7. Wigmaster999

Wigmaster999 Member

Dec 30, 2015
    #347 Wigmaster999, Jan 18, 2016
    I doubt it has to do with 20000 Leagues, since that's already mentioned on the iGN page. In Africa with the Bhayi man he says he lost it during the British wars in Africa, but you can't access that at all [Lusaka! It must be there! /s]. In the Antananarivo route to Colombo none of the sailors DIE, I believe.

What about that crocodile attack when you sail along the Amazon? Maybe you could save him with diving equipment or something? Or anti-croc spray? EDIT: Wait, maybe that route was added later. Back to square one.

8. Atticus

Sep 6, 2015
    #348 Atticus, Jan 18, 2016
    Nope, the Tabatinga-Belem route through the Amazon is original content, it's not from an expansion. It could be.

Thanks for the info about the Antananarivo-Colombo and Bhayi stuff, that was exactly what I was looking for (as I couldn't remember anything about them). Also, good point about the 20000 Leagues adventure.

However, I did the Lusaka route through the lake a number of times in the past and in this case it's me who says there's nothing to be found there.

I've also checked most of the European routes bar
    - Stockholm-Warsaw,
    - Thessaloniki-Izmir,
    - Amsterdam-Munich (river),
    - Astrakhan-Tehran.

Nothing so far.

9. Atticus

Sep 6, 2015
    Alright, I've checked all the routes and ports we've been talking about here in the last couple of days (including those in the Middle East), and I have found no reasonable storylines whatsoever concerning a sailor who we might be able to save from an amputation.

However, I did find a route we've NOT been discussing extensively, the
    Athens-Izmir one, on which you may wave to a sailor called Monsieur Mikos who subsequently loses his balance and falls into the sea with you then having the option to either have the ship turn around and rescue him or leave him to his fate.

The prerequisite for this is
    to have a conversation with the man on the Venice-Athens trip beforehand and thus get to know him.

If you choose to help Mikos, then another crew member will tell you that the water is full of sharks and here's hoping you can find him before the sharks do (which you do, of course.)

Notice, though, that even if you leave the sailor behind, your next newspaper title will still read something along the lines of "man overboard washed up in Corsica 'largely unharmed,'"
    so I'm still not convinced that this is what we are looking after. In any case, this was the closest I found to a sailor actually getting near to losing his limbs without our help.

Wigmaster999, can I ask to follow up your conversation with inkle on Twitter and ask them if this is it then?

10. Wigmaster999

Wigmaster999 Member

Dec 30, 2015
    I tweeted Inkle just a minute ago and will check to see if they reply. I've also made a post to the steam forums http://steamcommunity.com/app/381780/discussions/0/458606877316569311/, so hopefully one of them yields information.

11. Atticus

Sep 6, 2015
    Thank you - although reading your stuff I have to clarify that I did not actually do all the ship routes, just those I found susceptible (i. e. those I outlined above plus a handful in Europe and the Middle East). I just assume that I know the others well enough to know that the one we seek is not among them (or was introduced in an expansion pack).

Also, your Steam topic description might be a wee bit too long, lol. :)

I saw you also asked Inkle if there is more content planned - well, I'm not the best man to answer this, but I've read in an interview that no, they consider 80 Days to be 'a complete experience' with the 'Season 2' update. They could've changed their mind since then though.

12. Atticus

Sep 6, 2015
    #352 Atticus, Jan 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
    @Wigmaster999: Loool, I just saw your 28-day speedrun on the Steam forums! (I saw your name in our topic, that's how I recognised you. I can't reply to you there as I don't have the game on PC.)

First things first: congratulations!

Second thing - and you may not going to believe this - it's me who holds the record for the shortest journey. And it's not 27 days but 26, it's just that Inkle forgot about it when they wrote the topic description. I did a 27-day run, told them about it, then I improved on it almost immediately and my second tweet may have flown under the radar a bit. You might be able to look it up on my Twitter feed, in case you have your doubts (you can find me @atticvs2).

Third thing: it's 99% that it's not possible to go below 28 days anymore. I did my runs before the Season 2 expansion and, of course, once it was released I set out to see if 26 days was still possible and it wasn't. The update messed up both my precariously crafted item strategy - the goods were shuffled around quite a bit - and I think some routes as well.

But, critically, for you, the best I managed with the new expansion was 29 days (see another tweet of mine) which inevitably means that you beat me to it by one day on this version of the game. So CONGRATULATIONS again, this time with full capitals - as I've said, it should not be possible to do a 26-day run anymore, so that's a big win for you.

:)

P.S.: It was only after my speedruns that I set out to find all the 'side' quests - and I honestly think that I've had miles more fun with the latter than with the former. This game was always meant to be explored and it was a thrilling adventure. If only I would be able to find that last bit about the sailor, haha.

:)

13. Wigmaster999

Wigmaster999 Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Since it's not possible anymore, will you tell me HOW? Every time I've tried the North Pole, speeding up departure of every route and arriving in Iceland and then taking the center of the earth, I've arrived at the North Pole on Day 32 and left on Day 34, arriving ~Day 40. I read from the /r/80 Days reddit post (I'm one of the only users there) that someone managed it in 26 days via north pole, though it seems impossible.

14. Atticus

Sep 6, 2015
    Nah, I did almost the same route as you, I did not go via the North Pole. I'm also positive that it's impossible to do it in 26 days through the Pole. I don't know how the Reddit guy connected the dots, but it could be that he knew someone did the game in 26 days a while ago (me) and he thinks he did it using the North Pole shortcut.

I've found my journey site - http://www.inklestudios.com/80days/journeys/?id=DoSzQYtWVX&playerName=@atticvs2 - but I can't see the specifics anymore. But it was largely the same, only I went right up to New York and took the Henrietta to London (sped it up as well to make it in 2 days).

15. Wigmaster999

Wigmaster999 Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Huh. I wonder what got changed, then. Will try this route (Seed 6?)

16. Atticus

Sep 6, 2015
    It was seed IV for me (not 100%) on the pre-Season 2 run, the 26 and 27-day ones, but since the trade goods got shuffled around, I did my 29-day run post-Season 2 on seed III, I think.

Will also try a run on seed VI, however, you can never know for sure.

17. Wigmaster999

Wigmaster999 Member

Dec 30, 2015
    I ran my speed run route... a dozen times, I would say. I achieved the perfect run by the third go, but I wanted to see if there were ways to improve it. I know seed VI better than all of the other ones combined.

For example, the music box purchased in Vienna is worth $110 in Warsaw, which is a ~$42 profit. You can save money by going to Irkutsk instead of Karimskaya. The leather gloves purchased in Paris can be sold for a 300% profit in Vienna. etc.

Honestly, I love Seed III more simply because the gentleman's traveller set is so versatile in the southern routes. But I don't know. I'll give them all a try.

18. Atticus

Sep 6, 2015
    The main thing I've learnt from your post on Steam is that I can save money by choosing Irkutsk on the Transsiberian and then simply stay on the train. I've never quite catched that trick before (all the other things were optimised).

It would have been useful when I was into this speedrun thing a few months ago - the budget was always just barely holding on. I literally used to optimise every single item for a few pounds. Sleeping rough to save hotel cost was commonplace.

Good times. :)

19. Wigmaster999

Wigmaster999 Member

Dec 30, 2015
    I discovered this while trying to do Love in London. I chose Irkutsk to save money... but then the option to visit the library car never appears throughout the ENTIRE journey. Then, when I reach Irkutsk, I discover the option to stay aboard the train.

How exactly does Goland's appearance work?

20. Atticus

Sep 6, 2015
    I don't know. One would have to test which story bits appear on the Transsiberian where for each entry and exit station combinations - and then re-do all that with the accelerated version of the train.

Two things stood out for me during my explorations, though:

1) Boarding in Ekaterinburg still provides the option to visit the library car to find Goland as that story bit always appeared between Ekaterinburg and Omsk. (If you travel at least to Karimskaya.)
    2) Boarding in Omsk & encountering the red-headed mistress (spy, presumably) on the Kamer Taj beforehand results in you not being able to "get a glimpse of her" and her defected Ottoman engineer on the Transsiberian near the end of your journey. (Once again with Karimskaya being your destination.) It's not even 100% they are the same, but they are described as such.