Universal 80 Days (by inkle)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Atticus

Atticus Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2015
    And if there is, it's not the flying Transsiberian quest...

On another note, this was exactly my thinking for the Brisbane girl, though only vaguely - I thought of completing the File a story in the Times quest to be able to tell the murri girl something along the lines of I've previous experience with newspapers or something. Didn't do it yet.

2. VadeX

VadeX Member

Apr 30, 2015
    According to a tip off in the wiki, a player claim to have gone over the Niagara Falls from the floating city storyline after stealing a gyrocopter. But another player said (s)he couldn't find the option to steal a gyrocopter when on the floating city.

So, my best guess is you have to be convicted of being an illegal whisky trader when on the floating village (note how you always get away with the accusation in the trial?), thus unlocking extra options for escape. And how to get yourself convicted? The best way should be simply carrying whisky in your suitcases!

I have yet to attempt this, as I have a bit of trouble locating a bottle of whisky from my recent journeys. It should be a common trade good, however. If you happen to find one in the market, please tell me the city AND the game seed of your playthrough.

3. Atticus

Sep 6, 2015
    An ingenuous idea! :)

Bucharest, seed II - I've found whisky there.

Btw, it was me testing the conversation branches abord the Floating Village, I just don't have a Wikia account. :p

4. VadeX

VadeX Member

Apr 30, 2015
    Hah, I did it. And it is just as I predicted in my previous post! :)

Here are the details with spoilers.
    First you need both the whisky and mysterious device in your suitcase when you board the airship from either Calgary and Regina. And when you are captured you have to claim that you are indeed whisky traders. If everything goes right, you should be declared guilty by the council aboard the floating village. Passepartout and Fogg then attempt to escape from the confinement by stealing an airship. If Passepartout has observed the docking process beforehand, he would have the 'smart' option available, which sends the duo to New York instead of Quebec City. Else they will screw up and crash-land in a certain lake. Guess what happens next. Oh, and they still end up in Quebec City afterwards, so the route is basically unchanged apart from taking more time.

(Another location for whisky: Madras, Seed 7.)

5. Atticus

Sep 6, 2015
    #325 Atticus, Nov 10, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
    Great job, thank you very much. Looking forward to going through those parts. :)

To make this adventure fit in with others more easily, I think it would be a good idea to post some more whisky locations around the globe (city, seed number) - it's not urgent, but if you guys stumble upon one and have a minute to spare, you may share it here.

This leaves us with possibly only the Brisbane submariner quest to solve - from all the challenges that inkle published here or there around the web. (Although I'm curious why the newspaper title "Copper Found Near Cape Horn" pops up that often during by journeys since the update came out... You can't even go close to Cape Horn AFAIK.)

Thank you for the Niagara solution once more. :)

EDIT: There's whisky in
    - Istanbul in seed IV.

6. Atticus

Sep 6, 2015
    As for gaining the Murri girl's trust in Brisbane, I would think there must be something with which you can prove "she can trust you as a white man." Just as you needed whisky to convince the Canadians you are a whisky trader, you have to have something with which you convince the girl that you are trustworthy.

Problem is, I don't know what that is. Do you know any stories from your journeys pre-Brisbane where you helped out an indigenious/native and he/she gave you a trade good or something in return? (Helping the Indian girl writing a love letter in Madras won't work, you get nothing in return and I've already tested that anyway.)

7. Atticus

Sep 6, 2015
    OK, I'm now 'brute force-ing' it at the moment. 69 out of approximately 190 trade items checked.

Filing a story in The Times beforehand doesn't make any difference. (Either.)

8. Sinnareti

Sinnareti New Member

Oct 20, 2015
    I thought you'd get something from the Indian girl if you didn't give it away to Fogg in the dialogue options? A one-eyed charm or something, I can't remember.

9. Atticus

Sep 6, 2015
    Ah, indeed, you do. But even that changed nothing. (A Blue-Eyed Charm by the way- whatever it was, haha.)

87/191

10. Atticus

Sep 6, 2015
    The ship is the Tea Clipper from Colombo to Singapore, it costs 27k in two seeds, but I haven't actually been able to purchase it despite specifically amassing 30k+ in my wallet before taking on this journey.

It seems it cannot be done.

11. VadeX

VadeX Member

Apr 30, 2015
    Many players should have got onto the Atlantis submarine already, but in my recent playthrough I have troubles triggering the event (i.e.
    being shot from the sky on the Rio -> Freetown route
    ). I don't remember it having any required quests before the journey, so I wonder if this is random or the event has a limit on the number of times being triggered (like the flute guy in Vienna)?

12. RockyRoooster

RockyRoooster Active Member

Oct 12, 2015
    Independent developer
    LA
    I read the book before, and playing this game is just like going through the whole story again, but with a very different way, feels really awesome!! I sincerely hope that more games like this one will be created.

13. jt362

jt362 Member

Sep 20, 2014
    VadeX, I think for the Atlantis journey, you need to have some metal part on board for the airship to be harpooned. The Atlanteans need it for their own purposes.

14. Atticus

Sep 6, 2015
    Report: 112/195 items checked for the Brisbane hotel girl with no success.

Dependable Passepartout doesn't make a difference.

(I very often think this whole thing is rather hopeless.)

15. VadeX

VadeX Member

Apr 30, 2015
    Interesting. I never thought about it this way. There are indeed items like iron ore and Peruvian metal available in the Americas. I will try out different items when I have time for the game on the PC (where I can make manual saves).

16. Atticus

Sep 6, 2015
    153/197

In the meantime, it occured to me: can you have a trustworthy Passepartout? That just seems logical as the girl clearly 'wants to trust,' she just doesn't find our character 'trustworthy.'

17. Atticus

Sep 6, 2015
    #337 Atticus, Dec 28, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
    Hm, strange. I've recently caught up with a GDC talk in which Jon showed us a screenshot about the character trait system - and it showed only 49. (7x7 on a two-axis scale which made an awful lot of sense. And, admittedly only to brag about it, also showed that I did pretty very well most of the time, lol.)

The only downside is that there weren't any kind of character descriptions such as 'trustworthy.' (See above posts.)

Another upside, on the other hand, was that Jon said in the video that this particular system used to determine character traits is very hard to beat in that the choices infuencing character traits are scattered around a bit randomly - I would assume that they did not dare build an adventure trigger (Moreton Bay Courier) based on a variable as unpredictable as this one.

This also likely means that those 38 remaining items on my list might still hold the key to that final adventure that's still unlocked (for me, at least).

18. Wigmaster999

Wigmaster999 Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Moreton Bay Courier

Jumping into this now: Are you trying to actually file the letter(s), or simply do the adventure?
    In terms of items, the most obvious ones would be stuff like
    the coral calculator, didgeridoo and penny dreadful. Perhaps even something evil which is connected to another adventure. Have you tried the Dragon's Eye from the Spicy Jake?

19. Atticus

Sep 6, 2015
    Trying to actually file the letters to the Courier. Tried all of the above except
    the Coral Calculator.

Things still to be tried:

Desert Traveller set
    Khaki Shorts
    Tagelmust
    Water Bladder
    Cold Climate set
    Fur-lined Boots
    Knitted Gloves
    Air Sickness Pills
    Vodka
    European Airships Timetable
    Guide to African Airships
    Indian Airships Timetable
    Atlantic Timetable
    Ottoman Railways Timetable
    African Lunar Mask
    Ball Bearing
    Bear Armour
    Buddhist Robes
    Coral Calculator
    Coral Sphere
    Elephant Ivory Goblet
    Filmy Glass Shard
    Foxskin Cap
    Fresh Tea
    Jade Figurine
    Jar of Oil
    Marble Bust
    Massive Pearl
    Mechanical Lily
    Mongol Chanzy
    Natural Pearl
    Pirate's Cutlass (lol)
    Preparation of Paraffin
    Rhino Horn
    Scarab
    Silver Chest
    Sitar
    Western Star
    Military Papers (lol again)

20. Wigmaster999

Wigmaster999 Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Wow. However, it seems like the most important thing would be to know where the Moreton Bay Courier is from the start
    (AKA not in the middle of nowhere)
    . I don't think any of those items on that list really leap out as likely, however I can't think how to find the Moreton Bay Courier. The
    coral sphere
    is found on the Leyden, right? And the submariner was on the Leyden so maybe...

Note: There are two preparations of Paraffin, with the same name. It's just that one of them doesn't work on the airships, while the other does. It's doubtful that either will do anything.